Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Volume 9 Official English Release

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Volume 9 Official English Release

Just a few things worth pointing out that I noticed:

What Historia Knows: In this translation Pastor Nick basically said that Historia would have the right to learn the secret of the walls due to her bloodline, not that she already knew it. If this translation is more correct than the scans it would explain why she hasn't spilled the beans yet.

Sasha's Escape: I noticed that the escape move Sasha uses to get away from the titan after she rams its eye with an arrow is the exact same maneuver she used to get away from her father's grasp when he tried to stop her from eating the meat in the flashback.

Sasha's Dialect: In this translation Sasha's original "hick" way of talking is much more obvious than in the scan, which is nice.

Ymir's Name: On the first page of the manga where it shows all the characters it lists Yimir as "Name Unknown." I just find it kind of funny that her name wasn't revealed until 9 volumes into the series.

Translation Issues:

There were a few parts that I liked the scan's translation better, the best example being when Sasha had a flash back and said: "Why am I recalling that scene at a time like this... such a triffle thing, every day life... My memories are full of scenes like that."

But in the official release it was: "Why do I remember that at a time like this? Worthless ordinary moments, that's all I can remember."

I think the official release loses the sense of nostalgia she had and kind of ruined the mood of the scene. Of course I may be biased since I read the scan first.

Another interesting alteration would be what Krista said to Sasha during the flashback since it has been changed almost entirely from the scan. In the scan she said: "There are as many ways of thinking as there're people. You should just speak the words that you choose when you think Sasha."

But in the official release it was: "Sasha's the only one who's lived Sasha's life. Sasha's already speaking in her own words and I like it."

I can't really say which is more accurate since I don't speak Japanese and I haven't read the raws. I just find it strange that they're translated so differently.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Volume 9 Official English Release

I have to say the official translations do seem to clear a lot of confusion up. People were saying Reiner was gay for a while.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really having troubles believing "Official" translation due to "Sonny" being official.

Quote Quote:
    Sasha's Escape: I noticed that the escape move Sasha uses to get away from the titan after she rams its eye with an arrow is the exact same maneuver she used to get away from her father's grasp when he tried to stop her from eating the meat in the flashback.
    ....uhm that is normal?xD
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people complain about "Yeager" as well. The Anime spelt it Sawney (as least the CR one that I watched) but honestly I'll go with Sonny if its in the volumes as I can trust them (I think).

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with "Sonny" but the names are based upon Sawney Bean.
    Going officially it's Sonny Bean.

Just sounds wrong to me.But I really do not want to prolong it as it got nothing to do with Vol 9.
    Pardon me.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Dass Jennir's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epictoads View Post
    A lot of people complain about "Yeager" as well. The Anime spelt it Sawney (as least the CR one that I watched) but honestly I'll go with Sonny if its in the volumes as I can trust them (I think).
    Eren's father is also called Yeager on the brazillian translation (first volume was released last month )
    Shingeki no Kyojin

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The spelling "Yeager" comes directly from the series' editors in Japan. I think people should cut the official translations some slack, personally. Taken as a whole, they're far more accurate than fan scanlations (and when they do mess something up, they can and do get it corrected in later editions like with any other series of books that isn't out-of-print). Name spellings especially aren't something that can be discussed objectively. In the end, those all come down to personal preference/allowances to the artist &/or translators.

As for volume 9 official, I'm glad for some of the things Sigma points out. For example it's bugged me more than I can say that in the scanlations, you'd never notice Sasha's country-talk or overly polite language that she uses to cover for it). Then you've got cases like epictoads pointed out above.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

....weird.Friend of mine has Vol 9 but the part with Historia is not written as in the OP.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ForMotherRussia's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

are there any additional panels/pages added in this volume release?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epictoads View Post
    That's something that also bugged me a bit about the official release, the fact that many of the names are spelled English style instead of German style. A good example would be Annie Leonhardt changed to Annie Leonhart. Not a huge problem but still annoys me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    ....weird.Friend of mine has Vol 9 but the part with Historia is not written as in the OP.
    What did she say in your friend's copy?

Quote Originally Posted by ForMotherRussia View Post
    are there any additional panels/pages added in this volume release?
    At the end of each volume there is always a joke preview of the next. In this one it was Mikasa dressed in a ballerina type outfit and said "Next Volume: the Frenzied Idol Arc Begins!" I've never seen these included with the scans.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen that before. There are collections of all the previews out there-- usually raw. Iirc she was wearing a magical girl dress, or just generally looked like a pop idol...

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    That's something that also bugged me a bit about the official release, the fact that many of the names are spelled English style instead of German style. A good example would be Annie Leonhardt changed to Annie Leonhart. Not a huge problem but still annoys me a bit.

What did she say in your friend's copy?

At the end of each volume there is always a joke preview of the next. In this one it was Mikasa dressed in a ballerina type outfit and said "Next Volume: the Frenzied Idol Arc Begins!" I've never seen these included with the scans.
    To quote:

Quote Quote:
    hmm... just looked... and there's no discernible difference apart from that he said "a girl caught in a bloodline feud 3 years ago.... she is in hiding.... she knows the secret to the walls but is not aware of it"

New Reply