Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: theory on the classification of Mangekyo Sharingan's as brough up by Madara

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

theory on the classification of Mangekyo Sharingan's as brough up by Madara

ok we all saw the panel in the recent chapter where Madara commented on Sasuke's Mangekyo Sharingan referring to it as a "straight comma" MS, which indicated that MS's could possibly be segregated or categorized into separate classes or genres by the shape or pattern of the pupil and/or iris

lets do a little bit of research to see if we can dig a little bit deeper into this

ok first we will reference the MS at hand, the EMS Of sasuke uchiha
    here is one of the regular MS or pre-EMS sasuke

then one of his EMS version

i assume by straight comma he is referring to the black triad pupil that partitions the atomic looking shaped iris

sasuke is somewhat categorized as an offensive heavy MS using uchiha, this doesnt mean hes not good at genjutsu or susano'o , it just means hes better at amaterasu and basic power moves he is more of a pure fighter, like madara, where as shisui, for example, is more of a genjutsu expert.

so lets segway to shisui

you see how the pupil is more of a wheel it seems to be in motion or almost like its meant to turn , whereas sasukes is almost shooting outward
    i would assume this would classify shisui as a "curved comma" type MS

ok so lets look at itachis MS, he is definitely a great fighter, but i believe most would classify his genjutsu, including the deadly Tsuki no mi, is on par or perhaps better than his best friend shisui, and the pair of them may be one and two all time of the named Uchiha we know of .

with that said lets examine Itachi's MS

as you can see once again, the black area is once again curved or in motion like a wheel that is meant to turn or curve, and thus itachi would probably be classified as a "curved comma"
    MS

so now the tricky part is classifying obito/kakashi's MS

it also appears to be a curved type maybe, however if i were to venture, id say he and tobi should be classified under possibly a third class with their unique and odd MS abilities

now i will post madara, who is probably good at EVERYTHING but is known more as a fighter than a genjutsu guy, even though once again, he may not have a weakness

the EMS version could be both, straight comma and curved comma, which would also explain him being pretty much good at everything

however madaras initial MS version looks to be a definite curved comma

madaras EMS is obviously a combination of he and his brother Izuna's MS combined

as you can see izuna's comma could be considered straight if that is what you would classify the three projecting straight lines as

not sure exactly how one defines the "comma" of a MS yet though, as ninjabot stated earlier, it coud be the entire iris as opposed to just the lines projecting from it, and if that is the case then sasuke would be the only character who has a "straight comma"

and madara mentioned " i see how you can move so well"
    indicating that sasuke's MS or a straight comma MS has something to do with enhancing physical movements or power, as opposed to other MS enhancing other features such as genjutsu

interesting topic that is fore sure

please input more to tell me what you guys think
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; December 09, 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: prince sasuke requested i add izuna's MS

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Prince Sasuke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: theory on the classification of Mangekyo Sharingan's as brough up by Madara

I don't know how you can consider madara's sharingan to be both. To me, madar's sharingan is more curved then any other.

Obito's and Kakashi's sharingan is the only one that could be consider both and I lean more to the cure side..

I think this comment only proves what I've been saying ever since Sasuke gain MS; his is a special kind. The only straight comma sharingan to be seen so far.

Of course I'm hoping this allow Sasuke to use some type of ms jutsu only unique to him, but only time will tell.

Great thread.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Sasuke View Post
    I don't know how you can consider madara's sharingan to be both. To me, madar's sharingan is more curved then any other.

Obito's and Kakashi's sharingan is the only one that could be consider both and I lean more to the cure side..

I think this comment only proves what I've been saying ever since Sasuke gain MS; his is a special kind. The only straight comma sharingan to be seen so far.

Of course I'm hoping this allow Sasuke to use some type of ms jutsu only unique to him, but only time will tell.

Great thread.
    his original MS is certainly curved

his EMS is both, notice the straight "commas" that separate each "tadpole" (sorry i had to say it)

but originally you are right, if anyones sharingan is curved or a wheel, madaras is the most curved,
    oddly enough sharingan originally means or is defined as "the wheel that creates" according to a shinto mythology/lore article i read

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.
    I wouldn't be so quick to put Sasuke on a pedestal, as Izuna's MS would also fit that description, and Madara's EMS by extension.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Izuna's MS is a compete circle, so I'm just going to disagree.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Izuna's MS is a compete circle, so I'm just going to disagree.
    It's fine to disagree but then what classification would you give it? straight or curved?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Suzaku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

With only the one term "choku tomoe" (直巴) to go on, we don't really have enough information to categorize the different Mangekyo Sharingan. All we know is that they can be classified by the shape of the tomoe, and one of those shapes is "straight."

There could be curved, yes, but possibly also "hooked," "circular," "reversed," etc. With Kishimoto dropping a term like that, it's likely that it will be elaborated on a bit in the future.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes this is all hypothesis at this point

now that i think of what Madara was most famous for

controlling the 9 tails

he may indeed be more of a genjutsu type

who just so happens to also be insanely strong

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

just remember Sasuke awakening the Sharingan for the first time on the later to be called Naruto bridge....there he did not have full developed comma yet
    i think it just means that

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Madara and Sasuke are more offensive types so they both have those "lines" in their Mangekyou Shairngan. Itachi and Shisui were more of a genjutsu types so their MS has a more curved/whirrled style. It does make sense and I like it. I'd place Kamui to genjutsu tier, although Obito's MS also has "lines".

Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

it depend on their personality ....

both Madara and Sasuke are straight forward person who will do anything to obtain their goal .... so both of them are worst kind of MS user ....

Itachi and Shisui were tortuous and like to use tricks to obtain their goals ...

Obito .... well , he is coward that why his main ability is HIDE and SEEK and have weak personality .... but don't forget that cowards could be so dangerous ...
    Last edited by mh200; December 07, 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    It's fine to disagree but then what classification would you give it? straight or curved?
    I would definitely give it a classification as curved. Sasuke's sharingan is the only one without curve lines.

Also, it seems like everyone forget that Sasuke's MS background is black and all other MSs back grounds are red. That's another indication Sasuke's MS is different from the others.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity KiSwordsman's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If we're going to say that Sasuke is a special case, let's not do it for this classification system that Kishimoto just introduced but for the simple fact that his design is inverted. The only MS that we've seen that is like that. I also have to say that I do like the idea of this new classification system. It may give a reason as to why Kishimoto, in my opinion, took a step back In design with Sasuke's EMS.
    Last edited by KiSwordsman; December 07, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Akabeth's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Props to OP for starting this thread.

It's unfortunate from my POV that this topic was brought up so late in the manga when we're practically down to two Uchihas (Madara and Sasuke). Bloodline abilities--which in this case is the evolution and individuality of the Sharingan--was something Kishi could've ran rampant with had the plot developed differently.

p.s. I just gotta say this again: so much has been tossed aside for the sake of prophecies and this good vs. evil garbage. You can still share these things even if whoever's responsible wanted DBZ-like power progression towards the end of the story.
    "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely give it a classification as curved. Sasuke's sharingan is the only one without curve lines.

Also, it seems like everyone forget that Sasuke's MS background is black and all other MSs back grounds are red. That's another indication Sasuke's MS is different from the others.
    Good point i didnt even think of that

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Akabeth View Post
    Props to OP for starting this thread.

It's unfortunate from my POV that this topic was brought up so late in the manga when we're practically down to two Uchihas (Madara and Sasuke). Bloodline abilities--which in this case is the evolution and individuality of the Sharingan--was something Kishi could've ran rampant with had the plot developed differently.

p.s. I just gotta say this again: so much has been tossed aside for the sake of prophecies and this good vs. evil garbage. You can still share these things even if whoever's responsible wanted DBZ-like power progression towards the end of the story.
    Two uchihas but three sets of mangekyo

who knows what type of ability kakashi would have if he had obitos right eye added to his

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast