Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One Piece: Should I continue the series, or is it too late....?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Jeshua's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece: Should I continue the series, or is it too late....?

I asked the same question as the OP to my friends before I started reading One Piece - "WTF is so good about this... thing?"

It was 3~4 years ago... Thriller Bark was still at it's start and some friends with whom I shared an apartment laugh'd out loud every week, at each chapter; It was pretty much the most anticipated event for 'em, and I couldn't understand as I thought One Piece childish and absurdly strange.

My only contact with the series, prior to my friends convincing me to read it, was one random anime episode that I saw on cable TV late at night, many years before: for those familiar with the series, it was exactly the chapter that introduced Chopper. The 1st One Piece scene that I saw was this one, and my reaction was "...so... this is One Piece. Okaaay... *nothing to see there*". It was just like, dunno: your uncle bumping a random episode o' Beelzebub on TV.

I'm telling all this to try and say that despite having more than half a thousand chapters to catch up to, thinking the series was hyped and random, and not really having a good impression of the anime, I gave the manga a try, and I'm a devoted fan to this day. It's that good, and I actually read all those 500 and something chapters, + almost all the wiki, in less than a month. I even missed classes to read nonstop until it was again time to sleep; It's that good.

(edit: kids should sleep enough hours every week, students should do well on tests, and workers should work, so read at your own pace - I could afford to read nonstop, so that was what I did.)

I'm not into comparisons and the such, but One Piece sets itself on a standard of it's own; if you try and compare it to the other "big" names from Weekly Shonen Jump, they all share the "friendship (友情), victory (勝利) and effort (努力)" motto, but the similarities stop there - for example, I still remember when Naruto actually pulled a mass ressurrection after Kishimoto brain farted on the script, and every friend of mine that still read it stopped for at least 2 months. Oda plans way ahead of time, and everything feels into place - there are no cases of Deux Ex Machina in One Piece. Bleach is good to keep your clothes white, and that's about it.

(okey now: Bleach and Naruto have excellent animations while One Piece's anime is inconsistent to say the least, but if you compare the actual mangas - hello, we are on MANGA helpers - then there's no competition.)

One Piece is long winded, takes investment, but pays off. If you have the time, read it - don't (only) watch, read it. Like Bellamy said, it's good to watch some chapters to read with the (amazing) voices of each character in mind, and better imagine all the sound and color... on the other hand, it's also good to watch some episodes to get a better feel of some battles ans situations, even if the adaptation is so hit and miss (sometimes it is spot on, and most of the time it's like the script writter is butchering everything).

edit: Oh, yes: the fights. One Piece has fights like all "good" (...) post-DBZ anime, but it really shines when it's NOT trying to please the fans of the "genre"; When it succeeds, it ends up looking like vanilla Dragon Ball (you know: silly, small Goku meeting strange people, helping folks around, and doing funny adventure stuff... as a matter of fact, Monkey D. Luffy is very similar to Son Goku, as both characters are based on Sun Wukong from the chinese classic Journey to the West / Monkey); One Piece actually suffers from the fights, as Oda stated that he couldn't go a number of chapters without fights as that's actual WSJ policy, and then the story he had in mind took more time to progress than he'd imagined; since the timeskip (actually way before it) he is refraining from using the long, cliched 1x1 fights that the "fans" love so much.
    Last edited by Jeshua; December 16, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well assuming you arent trolling

which i think you are

i will say that what makes one piece so epic is the intricate plot and polarizing characters

you either love or hate the main characters/villains

i cannot think of a main character who is loved more than luffy, just like i cannot think of a villain who is hated as much as akainu (well whether or not he is a villain is debatable)

either way the unpredictable and suspenseful writing of oda really is second to none

so if you are legitimately asking the question , yes you should continue watching/reading one piece

however if you are trolling/which i believe you are

you can go eat a devils fruit and start swimming for all i care

i find it hard to believe that you read one piece and then decided to drop it and would even ask the question whether to continue or not, if you were reading it with an open mind and not bashing

you would be hooked like the rest of us are by now

it truly may be the greatest manga ever written
    Last edited by goldb; December 09, 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The most important questions:
    • Have you ever read the manga version?
    • How far have you gotten?

Easy answers are:
    • the characters and their interactions
    • the humor/action
    • the world building
    • the way Oda works with real world problems
    Last edited by Schabrak; December 09, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i care bout one piece becsaue its the only manga that balanced atm where everyne who is always together is on a close level o each other thast y i love one piece and toriko i actully care about the characthers unlike bleach and naruto only the main characthers r strong and u dont get thesame feel so u just read it and its enjoyable but not the best

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh One Piece is so awesome because the art is different! You see I can't tell the difference between so many mangas because their art is SO MUCH THE SAME ;D but Oda had the courage to draw something DIFFERENT. Which makes it stand out that little bit more to me. He even draws fat ugly women! Other mangas NEVER draw ugly women! It's always cute pretty and big boobed girls.

One Piece can actually make me laugh, and it fills me with genuine excitement (like that feeling when 2 trains are about to collide in slow motion and your just making big faces as you watch it happening)

The stories it tells aren't straight forward unlike Romeo and Juliet or Faust say. It's never a simple "oh I know what'll happen next" plot line, unlike Naruto where 1 guy goes nuts, decides to go on a killing spree then Naruto MAKES HIM SEE HE WAS JUST LONELY ALL ALONG! (or something equally as gay, and get lost Naruto fans, Naruto sucks compared to One Piece no matter how much you popcorn and eye candy kiddies wish it was better, so leave this), also the pacing for One Piece, it can almost make you WRITHE in agony as you watch the storm approaching, and when it's here, everything goes to mayhem...

I feel I need to stretch this point too about the pacing of the story. How it makes the One Piece world more credible. Take for example the Akatsuki of Naruto, or the Bleach Captains/Espade/and now these Quincees... Meant to be TOP HIGH BADASS RANKS... They all FELL like DOMINOES! DOMINOES! Now take the One Piece Shichibukai, their still scary to take on to this day! They didn't get trashed in domino fashion, some were defeated, but others still stand strong, in fact we still can't tell how long it'll be until Mihawk will break a sweat! The Admirals as well, each one as scary as the next, they wont become cannon fodder and Oda has done well with that. That makes it credible to me. He doesn't give titles away cheaply. Unlike so many other mangas (gods sake theirs so many examples of badasses that keep coming and falling like DOMINOES, Hitman reborn, Fairy Tail, use your imagination and you'll think of more!).

People will only argue against that point because of their impatience, but I much prefer the strength of credibility it's gained for it. In Naruto or Bleach the world seems to be threatened everyday and they rely on [main character] to save them! At least in One Piece they aint relying on Luffy to save the world everyday, think Enies Lobby or Thriller Bark for example, he's mostly just saving people he wants to make friends tho it meant taking on the world which has made him many serious future enemies that are like ticking time bombs we're waiting on to explode any day, just not as soon as their existence was announced (unlike other mangas again!)

While this rant may not put it as eloquently as a gentleman's or intellectual's, I maintain the points hold just as much meaning in every word I used to describe what I find so awesome about One Piece. I only wish I could have made this more compact. But like with One Piece, patience and being different becomes a golden virtue.

--------------------------------
    PS:
    Screw the Anime, they need to revisit it some time in the future and actually chop the lengths down. Take out the unnecessary slow motion and pauses that are obviously trying to waste time because they don't want to catch up to the manga and the voices could do with some effects too, like fish men could at least SOUND like fish men! Also using jokes and attack moves repetitively when in the manga it never happened like that at all, it ruins the flow so much it becomes embarrassingly bad if anyone visits me while I'm watching it, I just feel ashamed =(
    (quality wise it's like as if their working with a 5 dollar budget)
    Last edited by BetaRuler; December 09, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BeyondAnother's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jabman View Post
    My friend, I was in the same boat as you. Actually I thought One piece was bad and maybe for simple minded people that were easily entertained. Up until recently I had this opinion about One piece. Let me just say this as a person who completely understands you. I saw episode 1-621 (forcing myself through the first 200 episodes. But boy was it worth it. The last 400 episodes does a great job of tieying and story telling all aspects in the first 200 that you end up saying the whole show is a masterpiece.

You say you tried 'watching' and that is why I am also referring to the anime. The manga on the other hand makes the anime total crap at times.

Oooh, is that so? Well, why don't you enlighten me a little more, I think in a way we're on the same page. Lol, the manga, huh? That's a laugh. I'll take your word on that though.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Oh One Piece is so awesome because the art is different! You see I can't tell the difference between so many mangas because their art is SO MUCH THE SAME ;D but Oda had the courage to draw something DIFFERENT. Which makes it stand out that little bit more to me. He even draws fat ugly women! Other mangas NEVER draw ugly women! It's always cute pretty and big boobed girls.

One Piece can actually make me laugh, and it fills me with genuine excitement (like that feeling when 2 trains are about to collide in slow motion and your just making big faces as you watch it happening)

The stories it tells aren't straight forward unlike Romeo and Juliet or Faust say. It's never a simple "oh I know what'll happen next" plot line, unlike Naruto where 1 guy goes nuts, decides to go on a killing spree then Naruto MAKES HIM SEE HE WAS JUST LONELY ALL ALONG! (or something equally as gay, and get lost Naruto fans, Naruto sucks compared to One Piece no matter how much you popcorn and eye candy kiddies wish it was better, so leave this), also the pacing for One Piece, it can almost make you WRITHE in agony as you watch the storm approaching, and when it's here, everything goes to mayhem...

I feel I need to stretch this point too about the pacing of the story. How it makes the One Piece world more credible. Take for example the Akatsuki of Naruto, or the Bleach Captains/Espade/and now these Quincees... Meant to be TOP HIGH BADASS RANKS... They all FELL like DOMINOES! DOMINOES! Now take the One Piece Shichibukai, their still scary to take on to this day! They didn't get trashed in domino fashion, some were defeated, but others still stand strong, in fact we still can't tell how long it'll be until Mihawk will break a sweat! The Admirals as well, each one as scary as the next, they wont become cannon fodder and Oda has done well with that. That makes it credible to me. He doesn't give titles away cheaply. Unlike so many other mangas (gods sake theirs so many examples of badasses that keep coming and falling like DOMINOES, Hitman reborn, Fairy Tail, use your imagination and you'll think of more!).

People will only argue against that point because of their impatience, but I much prefer the strength of credibility it's gained for it. In Naruto or Bleach the world seems to be threatened everyday and they rely on [main character] to save them! At least in One Piece they aint relying on Luffy to save the world everyday, think Enies Lobby or Thriller Bark for example, he's mostly just saving people he wants to make friends tho it meant taking on the world which has made him many serious future enemies that are like ticking time bombs we're waiting on to explode any day, just not as soon as their existence was announced (unlike other mangas again!)

While this rant may not put it as eloquently as a gentleman's or intellectual's, I maintain the points hold just as much meaning in every word I used to describe what I find so awesome about One Piece. I only wish I could have made this more compact. But like with One Piece, patience and being different becomes a golden virtue.

--------------------------------
    PS:
    Screw the Anime, they need to revisit it some time in the future and actually chop the lengths down. Take out the unnecessary slow motion and pauses that are obviously trying to waste time because they don't want to catch up to the manga and the voices could do with some effects too, like fish men could at least SOUND like fish men! Also using jokes and attack moves repetitively when in the manga it never happened like that at all, it ruins the flow so much it becomes embarrassingly bad if anyone visits me while I'm watching it, I just feel ashamed =(
    (quality wise it's like as if their working with a 5 dollar budget)
    Hahaha! You've made some pretty spot-on valid points. It's nobody's judgement, and you're right, it stands out pretty well (unlike those other amines with some predictable plot storyline like Naruto and Bleach, painfully chiche, if you ask me.)

Differs from other amines:

1. Art style (very distinct from the rest)

2. The storyline (involving some pirate related source, and other things to draw you in)

3. The characters don't reek of stereotypes and cliches (hot guys, big tittied girls, high-pitched squeaky voice prepubescent girls/boys whom are seemingly in the same age group opposed to somebody in their 20s, god I HATE that.

4. It's supposedly a laugh to watch (I'll have to find that out for myself)

5. It's not a fanservicing, down to the core, vomit of a mess of a predictable plot)

So, there's that, you're right. Hahaha

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    well assuming you arent trolling

which i think you are

i will say that what makes one piece so epic is the intricate plot and polarizing characters

you either love or hate the main characters/villains

i cannot think of a main character who is loved more than luffy, just like i cannot think of a villain who is hated as much as akainu (well whether or not he is a villain is debatable)

either way the unpredictable and suspenseful writing of oda really is second to none

so if you are legitimately asking the question , yes you should continue watching/reading one piece

however if you are trolling/which i believe you are

you can go eat a devils fruit and start swimming for all i care

i find it hard to believe that you read one piece and then decided to drop it and would even ask the question whether to continue or not, if you were reading it with an open mind and not bashing

you would be hooked like the rest of us are by now

it truly may be the greatest manga ever written
    Yes. Cause apparently I don't want a straight forward and rational reasoning to why I should or should not continue to watch this, in which that lead you to assume I'm trolling? You're funny, and frankly being king of a smartass about this. You didn't haven't to reply, I find your false presumptions in bad taste and kind of amusing. Thank you for the honest opinion though, that's all I wanted to see. Have a nice day...

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    The most important questions:
    • Have you ever read the manga version?
    • How far have you gotten?

Easy answers are:
    • the characters and their interactions
    • the humor/action
    • the world building
    • the way Oda works with real world problems
    Yes, I have read some of the mange, putting that aside, because I plan on continuing the series like I've been telling myself, but really I just wanted a personal opinion from someone else's point of view.
    Last edited by BeyondAnother; December 09, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
    <a href=http://m.imgur.com/account/PurpleMistyRain/images/ZzFmP6S target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://m.imgur.com/account/PurpleMis...images/ZzFmP6S</a>

"Burnin' bridges one by one, descending closer to the sun"

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Jabman's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondAnother View Post
    Oooh, is that so? Well, why don't you enlighten me a little more, I think in a way we're on the same page. Lol, the manga, huh? That's a laugh. I'll take your word on that though.
    Sure. You see what you slowly come to realize as you dive deeper into the story of one piece is how vast and unimaginably large it is. And thus the creator of this story took the risk of taking his time to tell it instead of rushing parts. Things said at the very beginning will make sense hundreds of episodes later. Even now it feels like one piece is in its earlier stages while other shows with a large number of episodes are often referred to as (why does this show have another arc when it could have ended "there" and had a nice ending). The show moves at a steady pace not using plot twists to keep its audience entertained, but uses them when it best suits the story making it that much more wonderful. To this day mystery characters revealed in episode 50 for example have only been seen 2 or 3 other times. But not in a frustrating way where you think that they've been in the shadow too long but the complete opposite where you await the time they come to shine and argue sometimes that now is not the best time because it doesn't fit the story best. One piece unlike other shows knows what it is doing and is not asking, or trying to see what fans like but wants to tell fans that what it has in store is epic if you give it your time.

That is the best way I can put it without spoiling it and without rambling on.
    Last edited by Jabman; December 10, 2013 at 12:56 AM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I love One Piece because of the limitless possibilities it posses. When i read One Piece, i feel like i'm traveling to a place i know nothing about and Oda keeps making the one piece world bigger and bigger, dang i can't even see the one piece world as round even though they said it's round since the story still has many islands and places to go to...

The comedy is also the best! Because of the simplicity yet catch way of oda hyping one joke for every character and scene.

The lessons, nakama, values, love(not eros), honesty and bravery is all there 100%. I can keep going on till my keyboard evaporates from typing but i urge you to read it, you won't regret.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

well ,
    for me , One piece is a manga that you can enjoy it , re read it and it won't bore you , while it is not childish ....

but some story like Naruto , adds some serious matter ( like genocide , peace ) and then solved it by worst possible way " I won't give up " ... some times I get offend by reading Naruto , I thinks kishi just trying to insult his audiences' reason/sagacity by saying all these bullshits ....

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ranigurung's Avatar
    Country
    Nepal
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: One Piece: Should I continue the series, or is it too late....?

Warning: CRITICAL

People are going to absolutely hate me for saying/asking this, but idfk here I go. WHE THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT ONE PIECE?? Or maybe it's just me?.... Mmmm. Nope.

First off, I've watched it a long time ago. Wasn't crazy about the art, storyline seems sensible and great, but it's SO popular? I might start watching it again. I have a feeling I'm missing out, honestly. I want to get into it again. Tell me what's so unique about it? Somebody fill me in a bit.
    watch a anime first with eng sub ...is fallow manga almost all
    is will take about week or more time finish anime ...
    after u understand one piece ..is easy to folllow manga ...
    one piece not abt one person is about world
    politic ,kingdom.people.pirate,noble ,warlord ,
    power,strong,wealth and marine
    some people is take time to understand one piece world they quit fast..
    i star to watch bleach 1st coz my sis watch ...then we watch together naruto too
    then i found about one piece after naruto ...since then i watch only one piece
    i love one piece ...coz of one piece i knew about manga..i watch to badly abt next i
    ...i had no idea about manga before ..i watch one piece again when i have free time read manga alot too
    Last edited by ranigurung; December 10, 2013 at 05:35 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

When i started watching One Piece anime i thought it was ok, but nothing special. You could say i watched it out of boredom when i had nothing else to do. The first time it was really interesting for me was when Mihawk appeared. Luffy vs. Don Krieg was also a good fight compared to the ones before. Arlong Park was a step up and after that it was only getting better and better. Soon it became my favorite anime.

When i reached the point where i had to wait for a week to watch the next episode i started reading manga and then something i thought was a definition of awesome became even better. After reading the latest avaliable chapter i decided to read the manga from the begining and this time it was even better. Even some events i thought were not that interesting when i watched the anime were awesome this time because i knew that they would be important hundreds of chapters later.

I laughed so much while reading One Piece and it's humor is one of the things i like the most, i even shed a few tears but i won't specify the moments because i don't want to spoil them if you didn't get so far. The whole word is just so huge and alive. The Schibukai, the Yonkou, all the mysteries surrounding the blank century, revolutionaries and world government. There are many side characters that grow on you and when the story moves forward you find yourself thinking about what's happening with those guys.

Then there is the Strawhat crew. Each and every one of them is so unique, with their own stories and motives for the journey yet somehow they are all connected. The amount of trust between them and the way they care about each other (even Sanji and Zoro :P) is amazing.

To tell you the truth i could just go on and on about why i love One Piece so much but maybe experiencing it yourself would be the best way to see what is so awesome about it. So give it another try and i promise you that you won't regret it and if your really want to see One Piece at its best read the manga, don't just watch the anime.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning: CRITICAL

People are going to absolutely hate me for saying/asking this, but idfk here I go. WHE THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT ONE PIECE?? Or maybe it's just me?.... Mmmm. Nope.
    I agree with you. Don't watch/read it. One Piece is a horrible series. Mmmmkay. Everybody above me are just fanboying, except the Red Dog. He is the RonPaul2012 of the mangaforum.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

26 pots in 1 day? haha! Yeah, people took your question to heart, and here is the 27th ^_^

One Piece is loveable, you can relate to it, it has strong emotions, it can make you cry, it can make you smile, it's unpredictable yet still predictable where it matters, the storyworld is crazy unrealistic yet well defined by the rules of the manga. There doesn't seem to be any retcons, and Oda seem to have planned the majority of the One Piece story years ago, especially when you see hints in early chapters that are foreshadowing what happens like 100 to 300 chapters later.

You can feel his love, his passion and his energy in the storywriting and drawings, they're silly drawings, but given all mentioned above, the silly drawings can't but make you smile.

I think the reason One Piece is so popular, in particular among adults, is not something answered easily.
    The answer lies in many answers, like what many people has said in this thread, and like all the points I made above, it's a very well written story for a shounen, and we adults freaking love it!

What I find amazing with One Piece is that the longer you stay with it, the more you read, the more emotions and the more you relate with the chareacters, the more you love the story.
    It's very normal for new readers or anime watchers to give up on One Piece in the early stages or even if they watch a lot, but don't give enough time to let it all sink in, because it still hasn't grown on them.

As such, I will be biased and subjective here, as I don't have any scientific proof for it, but I think that many of the people who gives up on One Piece hasn't given it enough time, or can't relax and enjoy all the small moments the story gives, in particular the emotions are important to relate to.

Hope it gave you a bit of insight, at least this is how I percieve the story and its fans.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just one advice, if you do want to follow the series. Read the manga. And then when you caught up, watch the One Pace edit version.

http://theonepace.wordpress.com/

Can someone address the Red Dog's post?

I would but I am too busy to study quantum mechanic right now... Ummm....

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's try it anew:
    What the hell is so great about One Piece!?
    The latest chapters.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast