Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Manga Adaptations of Western Works: Good or Not

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga Adaptations of Western Works: Good or Not

So I was just wondering how people feel about these. I occasionally see these pop up from time to time, like the manga version of Sherlock, Sneewittchen - Geschichten nach Grimm (adapations of Grimm Tales), and a few more, but always am interested to check them out to see how these new authors and artists add their own twist to things (some loosely and some others rather accurately).

Are they a waste of time and should one stick with the originals. I think they have a nice place, but some become a bit too ecchi and etc to make the original works kind of put in a bad light.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga Adaptations of Western Works: Good or Not

Creating manga out of Western works provide a good source of promotion for the series because it will attract audiences who otherwise wouldn't pay attention to them. A lot of us know just how passionate Japanese fandom can be about something so they would want to see that same energy towards their show/book/film as well. Harry Potter is hugely popular in Japan, and it's possible that creators of Western entertainment would like to see similar success. (I'm only talking about contemporary forms of entertainment as opposed to traditional ones like Grimms' Fairytales or Shakespeare.)

I guess "whitewashing" isn't the right term in this scenario, but I wouldn't want something similar to happen with the Japanese adaptation. For example, they shouldn't try to incorporate moe or yuruchara to something that has nothing to do with them.

New Reply