Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is this, please?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

What is this, please?

I made a video solely for this thread:

What is this?

2. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mas2001's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is this, please?

Whahaha indeed, manga and anime differ allot sometimes. That's why i prefer reading the manga first before starting on the anime. Mostly its just a let down. Yes toei can be cheap sometimes with frame re use.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god, Mansam....what the hell have they done to you. Here we have the reason I don't watch the anime.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

And, most likely, the biggest reason why Toriko isn't that popular and why it's not in the top 10 manga sales, and why it doesn't get the praise that it actually deserve, and why people downplay it and judge it, and...
    Displayed by SnK, the anime plays a big role in the Manga sales too, would SnK have been this popular had it not been for the beautiful art, quality, animation, and epic music?

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I don´t know if it´s correct to blame only the anime quality for the manga "low" popularity. I think the adaptation could play a bigger role. Up to Livebearer arc anime has a pretty decent animation.

Probably Toei made a gamble, they thought that adapting the manga for a younger target could be the best for the franchise. It was the wrong decision, now they are commited (at this point they won´t make the anime as brutal as the manga, let´s face it...) and the only thing they can do is lose as few money as possible, lowering budget, etc.

It is sad for us, because we know that one of the greatest arc of Toriko (and in my humble opinion one of the best arcs i have ever read in a shonen) will be waste with a pathetic quality and heavily censored animation.

Anyways, i don´t think Toriko will ever be a top tier manga, popularity wise, and i´m ok with it. I don´t care about Toriko being a second tier manga, behind a few more popular ones.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Pavl.

I am not surprised by the low budget, what puzzles me is that they used higher budget on filler episodes and this fight between Toriko and Star should look really great and unfortunately it looks like shit! There was a point where i would watch the anime (i started with the anime first) and then read the manga. Boy am i glad that i read the manga first now... Seriously, if this quality keeps up i might drop it. It's a disgrace. So far i think the anime has been doing a mediocre or even good job for what it is has to offer considering the time slot and its target audience, but i think it has reached a new low...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member senadtm87's Avatar
    Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Well they need to fill 19 or so minutes with one chapter, but there is some mistakes in last 2 episodes, but they have done 132 episodes very good. They made mistake when Starjun took a hand of Komatsu, he didnt have that sound armor on him, then they made it like Coco and Zebra done it from stadium, and in manga they have done before he went to tent.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pavl1876 View Post
    I don´t know if it´s correct to blame only the anime quality for the manga "low" popularity. I think the adaptation could play a bigger role. Up to Livebearer arc anime has a pretty decent animation.

Probably Toei made a gamble, they thought that adapting the manga for a younger target could be the best for the franchise. It was the wrong decision, now they are commited (at this point they won´t make the anime as brutal as the manga, let´s face it...) and the only thing they can do is lose as few money as possible, lowering budget, etc.

It is sad for us, because we know that one of the greatest arc of Toriko (and in my humble opinion one of the best arcs i have ever read in a shonen) will be waste with a pathetic quality and heavily censored animation.

Anyways, i don´t think Toriko will ever be a top tier manga, popularity wise, and i´m ok with it. I don´t care about Toriko being a second tier manga, behind a few more popular ones.
    Don't be such a woman, Toriko was #13 on the top Manga sales in Japan which is very good.
    Are you really going to tell me that if SnK would not have an anime it still would have been #2 (slightly below One Piece) in Manga sales? If the anime never came out than it wouldn't even be half as famous as it is now, SnK existed since 2009 and no one cared up until 2013, the point where it blew up (this could be proven further by the Manga sales SnK had this year).

Mitsutoshi works way to hard, and he deserves to be in the #10 atleast, since Toriko is better than most Mangas that were in the #10 (Fairy Tail *smh).
    Toriko should, and deserves to be in the #10 and it could have been in the #10 if it wasn't for the shitty anime it has, just imagine what Toriko would look like if it had SnK quality and animation, and music.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grinpatch View Post
    Don't be such a woman, Toriko was #13 on the top Manga sales in Japan which is very good.
    I know, i´m not the one complaining about Toriko´s popularity

Quote Quote:
    Are you really going to tell me that if SnK would not have an anime it still would have been #2 (slightly below One Piece) in Manga sales?
    It´s a fact that a good anime could help a manga with better sales, I didn´t say the opposite.

Quote Quote:
    Mitsutoshi works way to hard, and he deserves to be in the #10 atleast, since Toriko is better than most Mangas that were in the #10 (Fairy Tail *smh).
    Toriko should, and deserves to be in the #10 and it could have been in the #10 if it wasn't for the shitty anime it has, just imagine what Toriko would look like if it had SnK quality and animation, and music.
    Yeah, he deserves it, but unfortunately i don´t see it happening. Current anime probably won´t improve and a remake could take several years.

Even with a better quality and a perfect adaptation i don´t see Toriko reaching the popularity level of Naruto or One Piece. That´s because Toriko´s structure doesn´t get the attention of teenagers. Toriko´s main characters are not reckless teenagers who think they have no limits, there are not hot women, thus there is not fan service. It has a structure and target very similar to Hajime no Ippo´s manga, in my opinion. And i have no problem with this.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not? Everyone loves food and i'm sure there are many fanboys like me who miss the old days of Hokuto No Ken, when men did manly things.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member aboe's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pavl1876 View Post
    I know, i´m not the one complaining about Toriko´s popularity

It´s a fact that a good anime could help a manga with better sales, I didn´t say the opposite.

Yeah, he deserves it, but unfortunately i don´t see it happening. Current anime probably won´t improve and a remake could take several years.

Even with a better quality and a perfect adaptation i don´t see Toriko reaching the popularity level of Naruto or One Piece. That´s because Toriko´s structure doesn´t get the attention of teenagers. Toriko´s main characters are not reckless teenagers who think they have no limits, there are not hot women, thus there is not fan service. It has a structure and target very similar to Hajime no Ippo´s manga, in my opinion. And i have no problem with this.
    i dont agree, for example toriko with the animation of shingeki, epic soundtrack , blood and gore it would stand on top with one piece and naruto

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Brunch's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad for Zebra, Zaragira and Gur..

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member zangetsukakashi's Avatar
    Country
    Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

i may be alone here, but i think the anime is doing a pretty awesome job till now. true, its animation isn't like it was long back, but that's not in all episodes. the festival has been pretty good till now, except of course, for that episode (134). otherwise, the budget and animation are higher than the Bubble Fruit or the Four Beast arcs'.

and ya, i also think they gambled on this like u guys said. i have a feeling ufotable's OVA didn't sell well, thus they didn't release the 2nd one that came after it, thus TOEI deduced they have to target a good timeslot for this to work, thus censored the hell outta it. it's a bad move, of course, as even Onepiece has blood, and it's on the same timeslot. but ya, otherwise, i doubt it'd have continued if not for the tv ratings it's getting (cause of the move they did). and if u notice, the first episodes had a higher rating (used to get up to 8.0 in early episodes, now it's usually at 4, 5, and sometimes 6). that could account for a decrease in budget, i guess (i'm not an expert in any of this).

but anyway, i dunno how u guys r expecting a long running shounen that lives on ratings and merch to get budget like SnK. SnK's budget is not something a long running show could do. even SnK had trouble with their budget at some episodes. not everything's the same. just cause some series can get famous by anime, doesn't mean all will by the same amount. it depends on the type of series too. also, the toriko anime did boost the sales of the manga... i forgot by how much. maybe 100k or 150k, if i recall correctly. and only God knows.... maybe in a few years, after naruto finishes (hopefully this year like kishimoto said), people will be looking for new long-running shounen, and toriko would become a top seller one day.
    Last edited by zangetsukakashi; December 24, 2013 at 01:12 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god I'm not watching the anime

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grinpatch View Post
    SnK existed since 2009 and no one cared up until 2013, the point where it blew up (this could be proven further by the Manga sales SnK had this year).

One I completely disagree with your statement about Attack on Titan, as even before the anime came out it had really solid sales, and was one of the highest selling monthly manga's I know, and Im one of the people who started reading before the anime even came out or had any previews. Yes it blew up because of the anime, but lots of people cared in the first place, I saw it blowing up a mile away.

But, I agree with what you said about Toriko, the anime isn't that great to be honest. But I do have to say that the Anime is actually doing very well in viewership (its like in the top ten every week), so even though its not too great, somebodies enjoying it and that to me means maybe Toei wasn't necessarily wrong with targeting kids. Just wish the quality of the anime was a lot better, also Im not sure why the anime's popularity doesn't necessarily translate to Toriko selling well.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast