Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Who is gonna join?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sabo

    8 5.97%
  • Rebecca

    17 12.69%
  • Violet

    3 2.24%
  • Toy Soldier

    2 1.49%
  • Wicca

    8 5.97%
  • Leo

    3 2.24%
  • Cavendish

    2 1.49%
  • Koala

    2 1.49%
  • Kinemon

    10 7.46%
  • Momonosuke

    2 1.49%
  • Kinemon + Momonosuke

    9 6.72%
  • Bellamy

    5 3.73%
  • Law

    3 2.24%
  • Bartolomeo

    17 12.69%
  • Caesar

    1 0.75%
  • None

    42 31.34%
New Reply
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 758

Thread: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

  1. #421
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Makki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    静岡市
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
    What numbers things?

    This is the numbers thing.

    A theory most famous on Japanese boards, wrongfully debunked on English boards all too often.
    Famous here, because it is too much of a coincidence and systematic to be untrue.
    Also in Japan making up names is a very complex matter, often relying on sequences in characters and meaning. I mean, there are a lot of subtle jokes and meaning in nicknames for example.

    The abilities among Strawhats and every other character are a sequence of repeating two syllabies structure. It's very similar to 擬態語 (sounds; for example カタカタ referring to someone shaking out of nervosity), though the abilities are usually made up terms and not common with sounds. More often they are like a short explanation of the actual ability.

    Now the interesting part is that among Strawhat users there is an even clearer sequence. It's that every syllaby represents also a number. I thought it was coincidence after 2 abilities had this structure, but after 4? I was convinced that Luffy would make Brook his crewmember after Oda revealed in chapter 443 that his ability came after eating the yomi yomi no mi. Why? Look below.


    Luffy - Gomu-gomu => Go = 5; Mu(ttsu) = 6 5/6
    Zoro - none
    Nami - none
    Usopp - none
    Sanji - none
    Chopper - hito-hito => Hi(totsu) = 1; To(o) = 10 1/10
    Robin - hana-hana => Ha(chi) = 8; Na(na) = 7 8/7
    Franky - none
    Brook - Yomi-yomi => Yo(n or ttsu) = 4; Mi(ttsu) = 3 4/3

    This means that the next Fruit user will be one including the numbers 2 and 9 in the ability as these are still missing in that sequence.

    For Oda to come up with such a sequence is quite brilliant and considering how the Japanese language is not a language of coincidence, but more about creativity in logic it makes perfect sense.
    Also it's interesting how he releases information about a character's ability quite late since of recently, which usually ends a discussion on fruit users joining here. haha


    The other user argued that this theory has a Half Life 3 character what I don't get as an analogy (never heard of such a game before)....

    So for me that leaves the option of 10 members, including Strawhat, and 10 members plus Strawhat, if Oda sticks to this released statement; story telling wise it would be smart to keep the number down it's already quite difficult to give every member enough spotlight.

    If there are 10 including strawhat, then there is going to be one more member which is a fruit user made out of the sequence 2-9 or 9-2 (only Kuma - Niku niku - has been introduced with such a fruit so far)

    and if 10 plus strawhat it leaves one more spot to a non fruit user.


    I don't like to discuss on what story writing features characters join, because it's down to the writing of the story. It never is the same, so Oda can and does alter when such elements are implemented into the story. Usually giving a character some kind of history adds a focus on this character or can be a useful plot device, see Boa's slavery history or Vivi's childhood for example. Character with a detailed history don't always join the Strawhats and sometimes don't even become allies (Shandia, though unclear).
    In the current arc there are possibilities as to Mr. Soldier, though it is likely that he won't be a toy after the arc anymore (defeating his uniqueness), Rebecca - his daughter and will probably play a big role in the return of King Riku to reign Dressrosa after the current arc and various other characters (Bartolomeo, the dwarves).
    A dwarf would be unique and adding one includes a lot of story writing potential. Especially for jokes having to live on a huge ship and dealing with everything a bit differently from other Strawhats.

    Viola would be interesting, too, especially considering her ability, though it is a bit too easy for future arcs. If used correctly they would have no hassle to beat enemies anymore.
    Also Giro-Giro doesn't fit in above structure. And she has connections to King Riku which will make her more important for rebuilding the kingdom once Dofla is beaten.

    At the moment I don't see any character being that involved with the strawhats who is able to leave behind his position or home. Not even Kin'emon (who would come with his son, Momonosuke) whose ability is not special enough. He is just another swordsman, plus Zoro will probably just learn from him how to cut Fire.
    Momonosuke's fruit hasn't been revealed so far which leaves open if he joins alone, but at the moment I see him more like a homage to Akira Toriyama and Dragonball.

  2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #422
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    Malaysia
    Posts
    567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    True. All I'm going by is the pattern of how members join the crew. And to those who are comparing Viola to Rebecca, while Viola has a tragic past, Rebecca's tragic past includes the death of a loved one, which is a criteria for SHs. Alright, true that person was also Viola's sister, Rebecca's life has been worse. As for Rebecca's dream to live with Toy Soldier (aka her father), I see two possibilities:

    1) Her dream changes after her lost memories return following Sugar's defeat.

    2) As I've said before, Rebecca and her father BOTH join the Straw Hats. Blackbeard has recruited multiple members in the past, why not Luffy?
    If Rebecca is a good candidate, she wouldn't need her father or some far fetched scenario that forces her to leave Dressrosa in order to join the crew.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Nami is fully capable of navigating in the New World, but I question whether she is capable of navigating to the "shaking compass" Island every time without having much damage to the ship and injury to the crew result when the methods navigators use to determine the best course of action to the Island are untrustworthy.
    I'm pretty sure she can. I don't think there ever was a situation where her incompetency cause damage to ship. There were many time where Nami's skill save the ship from a terrible weather condition. In fact, Luffy cause more damage to the ship. Remember how the monster trio nearly destroy the ship coating when they were going to Fishman Island.

    It's also not just Nami's responsibility to keep the ship safe. Everyone on the crew helps out too.

    Quote Quote:
    I may be underestimating Nami's navigating skills, but the fact that after her two years of training preparing for the New World, she still didn't know what a New World Log Pose was and that the New World had differing ocean currents, weather/climate and that the Islands had vanishing magnetic fields, those points did add some doubt into my mind as to whether she would be able to travel to the "shaking compass" Island 100% of time. Nami's reaction to finding out the New World Log Pose can point to the "most dangerous" Island only added to my doubt =/.
    Back in east blue saga, Nami wasn't aware that a log pose is needed to travel through the grandline but she was still a skilled navigator. I always think it's a plothole on Oda's part. Or the scientist on Weatheria never use a log pose so she never thought about it much.
    Actually, she just didn't know about the fluctuating magnetic field. She knew about the rest.
    No, she along with Chopper and Usopp were worried that Luffy was listening in and indeed he was. Luffy likes going to dangerous places and they know he would want to go there.
    I'm pretty sure she is capable of going to those dangerous islands. It's more of a gag that the weakling trio are afraid of dying.

  4. #423
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Syphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Makki View Post
    Luffy - Gomu-gomu => Go = 5; Mu(ttsu) = 6 5/6
    Zoro - none
    Nami - none
    Usopp - none
    Sanji - none
    Chopper - hito-hito => Hi(totsu) = 1; To(o) = 10 1/10
    Robin - hana-hana => Ha(chi) = 8; Na(na) = 7 8/7
    Franky - none
    Brook - Yomi-yomi => Yo(n or ttsu) = 4; Mi(ttsu) = 3 4/3

    This means that the next Fruit user will be one including the numbers 2 and 9 in the ability as these are still missing in that sequence.
    I was looking at the Japanese wordplay page and it is interesting that you can form Fuku with 2 and 9.

    Fuku can mean clothes and Kin'emon's Devil Fruit, which is still unnamed, deals with clothes. If it turns out that Kin'emon's Devil Fruit ability is the Fuku Fuku no Mi, he could end up fitting within the criteria the number theory sets out.

    There are some arguments against Kin'emon being a new nakama, but if his Devil Fruit is revealed to be called the Fuku Fuku no Mi, going by the numbers theory, things could get interesting.

    It's a fascinating system the Japanese number wordplay, I wonder if it is truly directly related to Oda's thoughts when deciding who a New Nakama will be =/. Guess we will find out if and when another Devil Fruit user joins the crew.

  5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  6. #424
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Akia999 View Post
    If Rebecca is a good candidate, she wouldn't need her father or some far fetched scenario that forces her to leave Dressrosa in order to join the crew.
    Funny. Franky required one to join the crew.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #425
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Uddevalla
    Country
    Sweden
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Franky had always wanted to sail with his dreamship. And the Franky family told him to go, he didn't have to protect them anymore. He stayed becaused he felt guilty about what happened to Tom San.
    He wanted to join the SH's and he fought selflessly beside them. All he needed to do was to finally forgive himself like Iceburg said.
    Hey, Ace! Sabo's alive man! just thought you deserved to know.

  9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  10. #426
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    Malaysia
    Posts
    567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    Funny. Franky required one to join the crew.
    Completely missed the point of my post.
    What TheLuffySmile said. Franky really wanted to join the crew but he felt obligated to stay back. Heck, even Sanji didn't want to join the crew initially because he felt he had obligation to stay back in Baratie.

    Even way before his bounty was announced and being "forced" to join, he shows LOTS of potential as a crewmate.
    He had a unique design.
    He had a unique ability.
    He was quirky and had an interesting personality. Tend to be overly emotional.
    He was a former shipwright and was an apprentice of Tom who built the pirate king ship.
    He has a sad past and lost a loved one,Tom.
    He had a past grudge against Spandam, the chief of CP9.
    He had many interaction with the crew during Enies Lobby arc.
    He took down one of the CP9, the main villain of the arc.
    He fought alongside the strawhats.
    His dream is to build a ship that can sail any ocean.
    He built the Thousand Sunny for Luffy, the future pirate king.

    You should be arguing about Rebecca can offer to the crew in terms of personality, fighting ability, unique skills and unique appearance. I don't want to argue about this anymore.
    Instead most of you Rebecca's supporter say things like this to support her:
    Toy soldier will die, so she will join the crew.
    Rebecca will developed a new dream out of blue, so she will join the crew.
    Dressrosa will be destroyed, so she will join the crew.
    All her family will die, so she will join the crew.
    Rebecca will eat the mera mera no mi and blackbeard will go after, so she will join the crew.
    Toy soldier will be declared a criminal and she needs to follow him, so she will join the crew.

    How is Franky forgiving himself for being partially responsible of causing Tom's death even remotely far-fetched?

  11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #427
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    31,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    Funny. Franky required one to join the crew.
    Him joining the crew was natural, and he was a great fit for the crew. Franky stayed on the island solely because of regrets, otherwise he stated his dream was to build the greatest ship ever and sail around the world with it, which itself was a strong indicator that he'd join the crew. He was also a shipwright, which is one of the reasons why the Straw Hats landed on Water 7, which adds to the argument that he would become a new member. Franky also had quirks that made him stand out, like posing, being perverted, and being cyborg, latter which always impressed Usopp, Chopper, and Luffy and added humor, like the failure of Franky docking because of Robin.

    Franky also fought with the Straw Hats and helped them, which is another prerequisite met. It's because of this Franky got a bounty, which in turn led him to leave the island. Franky seemed to stay solely to atone for his mistakes.

    Rebecca however, has always dreamed of being able to live with Toy Soldier in peace. That may change, but we know her dream right now is not about sailing. She also seems to add nothing in terms of personality right now, and her only quirk or redeeming feature is that she dresses so little and shows so much skin (which is probably the only reason anyone even wants her to join). How does she stand out from everyone in the arc? Almost every Straw Hat has stood out in one way or another, whether by Robin saving Luffy or Franky preventing Robin from being taken to teh other side.

    Rebecca has never stood out in any way, apart from wearing so little. Toy Soldier's sole dream is for Rebecca to be safe and happy, former that she can't get by being with the Straw Hats and latter that she can get by being with the Straw Hats, if she can get over the separation. The only argument I have seen that works for Rebecca is that it's too early right now.

  13. #428
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Eternal Winter Palace
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Kinemon without Momo has the highest joining probability, then a dwarf (Wicca or someone else), next is Violet. Bellamy will probably follow Barto who won't join but will be a trusted ally, Sabo, Momo and Rebecca have 0.1% joining. About toy soldier joins the SH ->

    I realized that I am merely a conscience programmed into a game.

  14. #429
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    While Franky had people and a place to live with, his dream was about building ships and being in one. Rebecca on the other hand is all about Dressrosa and her family.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

  15. #430
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    While Franky had people and a place to live with, his dream was about building ships and being in one. Rebecca on the other hand is all about Dressrosa and her family.
    Franky could not return to his family. He received a bounty after Enes Lobby and had to leave Water 7. He had nowhere to return. Franky is one of the most extreme examples of a character with nowhere to go other than joining. Brooke (long dead crew), Jinbe (bounty reinstated), Robin (bounty), and Franky (bounty) literally don't have homes where they can return.

    ---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    Funny. Franky required one to join the crew.
    Franky needed a far fetched scenario? He was arrested by CP9 early in the saga because he would not turn over the blueprint for Pluton, left in his care by Tom. A bounty was placed on Franky after he was freed from Enes Lobby, preventing him from returning permanently to Water 7. He could either join the Strawhats, or set out on his own. I'm not sure what exactly is far fetched about that.

    At the beginning of the Water 7 arc, the Strawhats said that they needed to add a Shipwright. It was revealed that they were looking for another crew member before they even arrived on the island. Adding a new crew member after Water 7 - Enes Lobby was not a surprise. It was quickly obvious that Franky would be that new crew member. Franky joining the crew had been carefully established since before his formal introduction.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 11, 2014 at 06:18 PM.

  16. #431
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    I was just saying that Franky wouldn't have joined unless circumstances forced him to. True, he had potential (except for being their enemy at the time), the fact remains he wouldn't have joined the Straw Hats if he hadn't been forced. The way I see it, circumstances will force Rebecca and her father to join the crew. While I know that a lot of you don't see Rebecca joining, she still fulfills criteria one of being a Straw Hat: a tragic past involving the death of a loved one. And before anyone points out Viola again, while she had a tragic past, it didn't involve someone close to her dying. Unless we see someone else's past like that, Rebecca's the closest there will be to a new crewmate.

  17. #432
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    the fact remains he wouldn't have joined the Straw Hats if he hadn't been forced.
    No. The only fact is that it was established from the start, before the Strawhats even reached the island, that a new crew member would be introduced on Water 7.

    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/4928/on...322_by_null/18
    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/4929/on...h323_by_null/4

  18. #433
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    No. The only fact is that it was established from the start, before the Strawhats even reached the island, that a new crew member would be introduced on Water 7.
    That doesn't change the fact that Franky had to be shanghaied into joining.

  19. #434
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    That doesn't change the fact that Franky had to be shanghaied into joining.
    He did not have to be Shanghaid. It was established from the start that a new crew member would be joining. Oda then began establishing the circumstances under which he would join, soon after the crew landed. Franky joined as a consequence of natural plot progressions, built into the story of the arc, using clear, logical plot developments, established before the character was even introduced. There were no surprises, no last second plot contrivances, or deus ex machina needed. Franky fit a profile similar to the other Strawhats, and joined in a manner believable within the boundaries of the One Piece world. Franky is not analogous to Rebecca in any way, shape, or form.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 11, 2014 at 07:49 PM.

  20. #435
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Search for Straw Hat's New Nakama... - 3rd edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    He did not have to be shanghaid. It was established from the start that a new crew member would be joining. Oda than began establishing the circumstances under which he would join soon after the crew landed. Franky joined as a consequence of natural plot progressions, built into the story of the arc. There were no surprises, no last second plot contrivances, and Franky fit a profile similar to the other Strawhats. Franky is not analogous to Rebecca in any way, shape, or form.
    Who says that the plot progression won't lead to Rebecca joining? Like I said, Oda is unpredictable. You never know what he's going to do.

New Reply
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts