Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Do you think Monet is still alive?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

18 37.50%
  • No!

30 62.50%
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The mysterious snow woman Monet

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The mysterious snow woman Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Rurushoe View Post
    What? Yes it it. In real life you have a 30% chance of surviving a stab to the heart. If you can get some sort of medical treatment within a few minutes things are looking up for you.

Considering this is One Piece and people have eaten nuclear bomb blasts and came out A-OK I'm fully expecting Monet to come back. Oda doesn't wantonly kill off characters in the present unless their deaths have a major impact on the story/inspire great change in the main character.
    That's a crazy statistic that I didn't know. It does rather depend on getting that medical assistance though. Even without that I've sort of reversed my position on this since I made that post anyway. I think she's alive too. I think Law patched her heart up during the down time between their defeating Baby 5 and Buffalo and the Strawhats leaving Punk Hazard.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vagabond87's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spam286 View Post
    That's a crazy statistic that I didn't know. It does rather depend on getting that medical assistance though. Even without that I've sort of reversed my position on this since I made that post anyway. I think she's alive too. I think Law patched her heart up during the down time between their defeating Baby 5 and Buffalo and the Strawhats leaving Punk Hazard.
    Sorry but when Monet was stabbed Law was in "carriage" escaping from laboratory with Strawhats, tunnel was collapsing so they were really in hurry to rush out of it/ escape from the moutain. Also Law has no interest in getting back to her after they escaped laboratory. Also Law had no knowledge of Cesar stabbing Monets heart..

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it too farfetched to think "Monet" may have some relation to Jora and her "Art"?

Claude Monet had some major eye deficiency, Cataracts beginning around when he was 70.It's a decrease in vision and often the cause for blindness.
    If you think about it that way, would that be an explanation for keeping quite about Chopper and writing that note to him?
    Taken from the wiki:
    Quote Quote:
    Those with cataracts commonly experience difficulty in appreciating colors and changes in contrast, driving, reading, recognizing faces.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond87 View Post
    Sorry but when Monet was stabbed Law was in "carriage" escaping from laboratory with Strawhats, tunnel was collapsing so they were really in hurry to rush out of it/ escape from the moutain. Also Law has no interest in getting back to her after they escaped laboratory. Also Law had no knowledge of Cesar stabbing Monets heart..
    Yes, and then moments later they emerged from the tunnel exactly where the tanker and Monet's heart were. Law having no knowledge of Caesar's actions is questionable too. He must have had an inkling of what would happen the moment he made the switch, otherwise he wouldn't have done it at all. He wouldn't need to get back to her; just fix her heart. On top of that, his fruit's entire existence is surgery related. It would not surprise me at all if the little box he puts hearts in also helps to preserve them somehow.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Is it too farfetched to think "Monet" may have some relation to Jora and her "Art"?

Claude Monet had some major eye deficiency, Cataracts beginning around when he was 70.It's a decrease in vision and often the cause for blindness.
    If you think about it that way, would that be an explanation for keeping quite about Chopper and writing that note to him?
    Taken from the wiki:
    Very interesting point on Monet having really bad eyesight.

But for me it was Law who made a note and sended it to Chopper using his ability.

Spam286 - why I didnt thought about preserving possible abilities of Laws "box" with heart. Its not much of a strech. As for Law helping Monet by taking care of her heart I wont say that its impossible, it is possible but I dont think that chances are high for this to had happened. For me Oda will most likely take different path with her but I will keep in mind what you wrote.

MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Syphin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I had stated a theory of a possible interpration to the scene where Caesar stabs Monet's heart in chapter 694. I will just restate it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Anyway since I'm the type of person who desperately tries to believe a character alive until 100% proven otherwise. I have constructed a theory which could potentially open a possibility for Monet still being alive even after being stabbed in the ‘heart’ by Caesar (oh Caesar, what a clown…). That scene seems pretty self-explanatory but I’m still going to give stretching its interpretation a shot.

Spoiler show

Now there is no question that Caesar stabbed that block of flesh and that blood came out indicating injury to it, but as can obviously be seen, Caesar is in a weakened state and the position he stabbed the ‘heart’ in is such a weird one, only a small fraction of his remaining strength would have come through in the stab. Furthermore, the panel below the one showing Caesar stabbing the ‘heart’ shows Monet with a huge square hole in her chest, which indicates that not ONLY the heart was taken but the surrounding flesh as well, so in all likelihood, it is entirely POSSIBLE that what Caesar stabbed was just the surrounding flesh (we can all see that the stab itself isn’t that deep) and the resulting force from the act of forcing his hand down onto the ‘heart’ caused an impact on the heart of Monet’s which resulted in knocking her out. Monet herself was in a weakened state so it is also possible that just a blow to her heart could have caused her to cough up blood and knocked her out.
    One of the scenes which causes me to wonder is this one in chapter 675:

Spoiler show

Why is Monet's timing so perfect in interrupting Caesar from squeezing her heart (which he believed was Smoker's). If Monet had been a second or more longer, it would have become apparent that the heart Law gave Caesar was Monet's rather then Smoker's, why is Monet's timing so conveniently coincidental?

If Monet were as 'evil' and sadistic as many believed, wouldn't she have waited a few seconds for Caesar to torment Smoker a bit through his heart before interrupting Caesar? In addition, why does Monet have such a desperate look on her face as if she realised that the heart Caesar was handling was hers? Normally Monet has a more relaxed/casual - or "cool" if you would put it like that - expression when conversing with others (when she is not in sadist or embarrassed mode).

It doesn't seem like Oda-sensei's writing style to introduce such a conveniently coincidental scene without it holding some significance later on.

Another scene causing me to wonder is the one just before she is stabbed by Caesar in chapter 694:

Spoiler show

How can someone as seemingly 'evil' as Monet express such a genuine and pure smile? What is this side of Monet we have not seen yet?

With Kuzan and the G-5 Marines on Punk Hazard following the Shino-Kuni incident, it is possible that she may have been found/"saved". We have not learned what Kuzan intentions for being on Punk Hazard are, so while carrying out his objective, he may have found Monet's heart (unless Monet/Vergo was his objective) and realised it was Law's doing (he does seem knowledgeable of the current powers in the New World and the potential rising powers). If Kuzan does find and save Monet, he may gain some insight into the man called "Donquixote Doflamingo" and who he exactly is, especially since he does seem to hold a certain level of interest in the Underworld activity - possibly how he found about the events ongoing on Punk Hazard when the Strawhats and Caesar were there. Kuzan warning Smoker to be wary of Doflamingo does suggest that Kuzan has some knowledge and interest in the Dressrosa King.

If you look at Doflamingo's comments about the rumours surrounding Kuzan from a certain perspective, it does imply that Doflamingo is aware that Kuzan has some connection to the Underworld and the rumours surrounding Kuzan could have originated from within the Underworld - how an ex-Marine Admiral is engaging in the shadowy world. Smoker's conversation and the conversation between Burgess and Blackbeard also heavily implies that Kuzan is involved in the Underworld and potentially interested in the dealings "Joker" has active.

Anyway with Kuzan being on Punk Hazard, him asking the G-5 Marines not to reveal his presence there and Blackbeard's interest in Kuzan, there is a lot of mystery surrounding his character, so it is entirely possbile that he could end up finding/saving Monet.
    Last edited by Syphin; December 31, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Why is Monet's timing so perfect in interrupting Caesar from squeezing her heart (which he believed was Smoker's). If Monet had been a second or more longer, it would have become apparent that the heart Law gave Caesar was Monet's rather then Smoker's, why is Monet's timing so conveniently coincidental?
    Because from the very start Oda's plan was lame, let's be honest here, the way he made this heart deal is kinda lame writing
    That is why I've found Law's plan to be 100% stupid from the very start, with his powers, he could've easily defeated the likes of Monet/CC and even kidnap CC if he wished too without even going through this hassle

Sure he probably wouldn't have met with the SH's, but he could've easily disappeared with CC and make an alliance with another Supernova to take out the SMILE factory

I was never convinced with that plan to be honest

Also there's no " evil " in her, she's loyal to Doflamingo, that is all... Her actions may seem evil to you, but to her they're right

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Because from the very start Oda's plan was lame, let's be honest here, the way he made this heart deal is kinda lame writing
    That is why I've found Law's plan to be 100% stupid from the very start, with his powers, he could've easily defeated the likes of Monet/CC and even kidnap CC if he wished too without even going through this hassle

Sure he probably wouldn't have met with the SH's, but he could've easily disappeared with CC and make an alliance with another Supernova to take out the SMILE factory

I was never convinced with that plan to be honest

Also there's no " evil " in her, she's loyal to Doflamingo, that is all... Her actions may seem evil to you, but to her they're right
    We meet again

Monet is evil as fuck. Especially if you consider that she is a woman and let Cesar make deadly experiments on children. She torn some G5 and tried to bite off big chunk Tashigi - she aimed to kill her. Its not like she thinks those actions are right in her opinion, she doesnt give a damn about lives of people outside of Doflamingos will- she herself seemed blank/ empty and showing some joy when she seen sufferning - for example when Law meet on Punk Hazard Vergo. Thats why I call her evil.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

It is pretty interesting noticing the similarities in the recent story of One Piece (Punk Hazard + Dressrosa) and Snow White:

Spoiler show

On top of that 'conveniently coincidental scene' I mentioned in my previous post (Monet stopping Caesar before he squeezed her heart), there are some other seemingly coincidental scenes I find myself puzzling over.

It is apparent that snow is inextricably linked to Monet's character with her being a Yuki-Onna. Throughout the Punk Hazard Arc, since the frozen side of Island was revealed and whenever the focus shifted to scenes of the outside, there was always snow shown to be falling, expect for one chapter, the chapter after Monet's heart was stabbed (chapter 695).

Monet's heart in stabbed in chapter 694, but strangely in chapter 695, no snow is shown outside during the "battle" with Baby 5, Buffalo and Caesar. It is further cast into the realms of curiosity when you note that prior to chapter 695, there was snow to be shown falling outside - you can see it falling during the Franky vs Baby 5/Buffalo fight. Snow is shown to be falling again in chapter 696 - an indication Monet is alive? We have seen how snow stops falling (at least in Biscuit's Room) when Monet was temporarily incapacitated after being slashed by Zoro and Tashigi. The same thing could have happened after her heart was stabbed [shallowly] by Caesar and she [temporarily] lost consciousness. After Oda made the effort to illustrate snow falling outside for every single chapter focusing on the outside of the frozen part of Punk Hazard, except chapter 695, I can't help but take that to mean something. Or is this another 'conveniently coincidental scene'?

Then there is also this, note the Snow Rabbit attack by Monet in chapter 687:

Spoiler show

Now note this scene in chapter 700 - the appearance of Snow Rabbits in the ocean waves:

Spoiler show

What are we supposed to take that as meaning? Another 'conveniently coincidental scene'? Or does it have a more focused meaning; such as indicating Monet's survival, or the revival of the Yuki Yuki no Mi in one of fruits stored in Sanji's kitchen, or Monet's heart being taken by one of the Strawhats from Punk Hazard? Whatever it is, it is clear that Oda intended to relate Monet (and/or her Snow Rabbit ability) to that scene in chapter 700 (typical Oda writing style?)

Given the Rabbit motif, rabbits are often associated with the moon (the moon rabbit folklore) and signify rebirth and resurrection. In chapter 666, page 6, third panel, we see one of the books Monet to be interested in reading to potentially be an astronomy book (well "ASTRO" is clearly visible on the spine of the book), in the 5th panel when Monet turns around, we can notice 4 letters on the spine of the top book - "CLIP", if we continue with the space theme, we can infer that to potentially be "Eclipse". From chapter 392 we are aware that there are highly likely 6 moons around the world of One Piece - the moons may become relevant to the story of One Piece later (could explain why the weather of the One World is so unstable and the Ancient Weapon Uranus could be related to the moons). Rabbits also serve as a good symbol for Spring (which comes after Winter) which represents new life and new beginnings. Also another interesting point is that Monet shares similar characteristics to people born into the Year of the Rabbit (intelligent, intuitive, gracious, kind, loyal, sensitive to beauty, diplomatic and peace-loving, but prone to moodiness and periods of melancholy). I could be reading too deeply into this, but my delusion is beckoning me.

Another seemingly relevant scene hinting towards Monet is the colour spread for chapter 733:

Spoiler show

It is a winter themed colour spread for December, so no surprise it is winter related, but that "snow woman" sure does resemble Monet in a significant way O.o.

So many "coincidental" moments surrounding the massive coincidence of Caesar stabbing Monet's heart right before she pushes the button to destroy Punk Hazard... O.o.

The hardest question to answer is why Monet's character should stay alive =/. The fact that Monet's past is a complete mystery, including her relationship with Doflamingo, on top of strange actions she had taken during Punk Hazard, could be enough to encapsulate a reason sufficient enough to warrant some extra screen time from Monet.

I was thinking about Monet's character and couldn't get over how empty/blank she looked for the majority of the Punk Hazard Arc. Only when it came to sacrificing herself to erase the "evidence" on Punk Hazard did Monet start to show emotion. I suppose her embodying snow symbolised the frozen state of water (where water represents emotion).

Could it be that along with taking comfort in serving Doflamingo, she took happiness in being able to end her life in a certain way?

Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah those Snow Rabbits are really an odd occurence that didn't get explained yet either.

Monet's body.
    Her snow Bunnies in the Ocean.
    Some would argue why she kept quite about the Strawhats at first.

SBS of Vol. 71
    Quote Quote:

D:Regarding Chapter 700, while Luffy and the others are on the way to Dressrosaroba, we can see animals that look like sea rabbits. What does Law like to eat other than Onigiri?

O: Well ummmm, Grilled Fish.Next question!

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Monet set them as precaution.
    A sort of "Marker" for Jora and her Submarine to identify the ship from underwater.

I for one wonder of there is a connection to Momonosuke and Rebecca seeing the Harpies myth got a lot to do with food.
    Also wondering if there may be more, seeing Harpies by tradition usually come in sets of 3.
    Aello,Celeano and Ocypete.
    For example you can also see this tradition in the likes of YuGiOh.

---------- Post added January 13, 2014 at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous post was January 12, 2014 at 08:09 AM ----------

Also I just noticed, when Mocha remembers the "Kind" Monet, she had a tattoo but it's gone when Mocha remembers Monet in different set of clothings.
    Last edited by Beatrice; January 13, 2014 at 05:21 AM.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Also I just noticed, when Mocha remembers the "Kind" Monet, she had a tattoo but it's gone when Mocha remembers Monet in different set of clothings.
    I seriously had not noticed that before, thanks for sharing!!

Spoiler show

It's hard to see exactly what the tattoo looks like in that panel, but it looks to be something other than hair. It is weird that the tattoo disappears in the next panel featuring Monet...ANOTHER strange development centering around Monet, she truly is one mysterious character.

If Monet really does have a tattoo/mark on her arm, it could be the reason for why she chose to get wings to replace her arms rather than wings on top of keeping her arms. Was Monet a former slave or something? Is this the reason for why she had her arms and legs replaced, because they reminded her of the shackles once binding her? That definitely is a possibility as it could explain her distant personality and why she is so loyal to Doflamingo (did he save her?).

Anyway it may be my obsession and/or delusion, but I really do believe Monet is still alive, there are just too many strange circumstances surrounding her character. And for someone so loyal and considerate to their master's interest, she really is wasted on that bastard Doflamingo.

As for Harpy theme, maybe Oda wanted to link it with the Gorgon sisters theme and have Monet have two other sisters =/. Or the Harpy theme could have been representative of what happened to Monet if she were a former slave (as opposed to representing her characteristics) - she was snatched in her youth and punished/tormented by her captives.
    Last edited by Syphin; January 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the only time we ever saw her with it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is any tatoo. Oda just fell into drawing Nami by accident, since in that picture they look very similiar.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There is one and That tattoo looks nothing like Nami's.

Last edited by Beatrice; January 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that tattoo/mark looks nothing like Nami's tattoo.

Anyway there is so much ambiguity surrounding Monet:
    • The ambiguity of Caesar stabbing the "box" containing Monet's heart - if Oda wanted Monet to die, he would have made the stab appear more fatal (and conclusive, I wonder why he didn't do that...);
    • Why Zoro was reluctant to slice Monet - he told Luffy earlier in the arc to be serious, I doubt Zoro would fall prey to a reason such as 'not wanting to hurt a woman'. What other reason could Zoro have? Both Luffy and Zoro didn't seem to direct any negativity towards Monet, just her actions;
    • Why did Monet stop Caesar from squeezing "Smoker's" heart, which in fact was hers? That timing was too convenient;
    • Who threw the note to Chopper - why did Oda leave that scene so ambiguous (Monet could have thrown it; Oda had her leave the panel focus while the note was being thrown, I wonder why)? If it were Law's doing, how did he write the note while bound and why didn't he just warp it with another object near Chopper then risk being found out by throwing the piece of paper;
    • Why did Monet let Chopper go after he read the note?;
    • Why did Monet head for the children rather then SAD or Caesar? She knew those two had the highest priority and where the two things Law were after;
    • Was Monet even aware of the exact dangers of Caesar's giantification experiment (that there was NHC10 in the candy) before the Punk Hazard Arc? Caesar told Monet about the dangers in chapter 685 in Momonosuke's flashback - it would be quite redundant for Caesar to tell Monet that information if he had mentioned it to her before. Monet wasn't aware of Caesar's intentions regarding Smiley, so she may not have known about the NHC10 in the candy. Law didn't know and he had been on Punk Hazard for months plus he is a doctor, so Monet may not have known as well;
    • Why didn't Monet fatally wound Robin when she had the opportunity to do so? That attack only seemed to be a warning;
    • Monet's Harpy form, why did Oda have her replace her working limbs with animal ones? Were they Law's doing or are they related to something else?;
    • That tattoo, what role does it serve?;
    • Why did Monet show genuine emotion when sacrificing herself for Doflamingo's sake? What is the relationship between Doflamingo and her?;
    • The snow rabbits in the sea, any purpose to them and reason for why they relate so closely to Monet's snow rabbit attack?
    I honestly do not believe Monet is dead, and because of that I find myself waiting anxiously each chapter to see if we get anything related to Monet revealed =P. Hahah that apprehensive feeling really does grasp at the heart when there is no Monet-focused information after each new chapter. I really am anxious and excited for Doflamingo's flashback being revealed, I'm hoping we find out more about Monet and her past from that.

The way Monet so selflessly went with sacrificing herself for her Captain and his interest, I became won over by her character because of that.

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast