Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Lady Werewolf, what happens with her after this arc?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • She returns to her boss with news of what happened

5 31.25%
  • She discovers something unsettling in Roctis' base that shakes her loyalty

6 37.50%
  • She falls madly in love with Franky and moves to Korea

5 31.25%
  • Other (please post)

0 0%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 309 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 309 Review

Alrighty, last week the poll was on if anything would put up a decent fight against Raizel. Most seemed to think Muzaka would, but the jury is still out. As Roctis is still showing his stuff and we've seen no sign of Muzaka being at this base.

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

Raizel is about to break Roctis' "World's Greatest Dad" mug.

This week start with Franky giving the 9th Elder a little lecture about how they are different. How the 9th's greed and self interest are the driving force behind his research but for Franky it wasn't. How he didn't use others as subjects for his research, he used himself. And when the 9th insists the dark spear couldn't have been made like that, Franky explains that it was created by the Union after it stole his research; and being unwilling to leave such in thing in their hands he took it upon himself to carry it.

Then Franky does something odd, he offers to give the Spear back. At first the 9th thinks he's joking but Franky casually tosses it to him. But as the 9th holds it in his hands, it's dark power starts to devour him. Seeing him consumed by the weapon, the Lady Werewolf considers intervening but thinks better of it and leaves him to his fate. Which, as it turns out, is to swallowed whole by the Dark Spear.

With that taken care of, he turns his attention to the Lady Werewolf who is still standing there in the open watching him. He asks if she has business with him, but she tells him she is just admiring his cute face. Leaving Franky, for the first time I can remember, at a loss for words. His attention is drawn elsewhere though as he finally notices Raizel's fight in the distance.

Raizel, meanwhile, has set the rescued hostages down and prepares to face Super Papa in earnest. The first exchange doesn't do real damage to anybody but leaves Roctis looking a bit more winded that Raizel.

Frankenstien arrives but is instructed by Rai to tend to the children. And Roctis uses the next tier of his power turning into Super Electro Papa as Raizel summons his wings of blood. Looks like next week things get serious.

Chapter Review

Substance

Predominately, a combat chapter. As such there isn't a lot to it beyond of the obvious fight results.

The 9th Elder died. Pathetically. In the end, he really didn't put up much of a fight at all. The conclusion was more of an excuse for Franky to explain bits of his background. Which were a little more vanilla than I was hoping for, to be honest. The impression of "reformed villain" he gave off I found preferable to the "misunderstood hero" this bit of background establishes him as.

Roctis held his own against Raizel so far, kind of. I still get the impression he's going to get blow away effortlessly next week because that's just the way his fights always go. Which is a formula that is starting to get a little stale for me. So right now I'm mainly looking ahead and hoping for some kind of real consequence for Raizel's liberal use of his life force.

The show stealer for me was the Lady Werewolf whose flirting with Frankenstein was just pure fun; even if it was just to cover up her true motives. It's so rare to see him confused and off balance, but she managed both.

Presentation

Art work was average overall. It's a shame to see some of the stylistic flair of previous weeks absent but on the other hand the detail wasn't really bad either. The panel that impressed me the most was the "leaf cut" panel by Roctis. That was pretty cool. The only bit I'm critical of is that some of the panels didn't showcase faces enough. Faces are really the key to relaying character emotion but in this chapter it tended to focus off the characters' faces, or show their faces in an incomplete way, when they were saying something with emotional nuance. Like Franky talking about his past or Lady Werewolf's flirting.

Pacing was slower than I would have liked but not so much so I'd count it as a negative. The 9th's death may have been pathetic, and Franky's exposition not what I was hoping to hear, but there was nothing wrong with either pacing wise. Roctis and Raizel's similarly is going fine pacing wise, but is hurt somewhat by the sense of inevitability that Roctis's defeat has. Like we're just going through the motions.

Overall Rating

A pretty average chapter across the board, that suffers a little from a sense of anti-climax that is starting to creep into this arc.

I'm going to give it a 3 out of 5

Predictions Section

New Prediction
    • Roctis dies next chapter.

Old Predictions: (29 Wins/ 39 Losses)

"Ignes dies hard next chapter." ~ Loss
    She lives, and is about to inherit a soul weapon.

Spoiler: Ongoing show
    Last edited by Jammin; December 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 309 Review

I think people are misunderstood about Raizel's life force. Sure his life is very less compared to past but it is enough to give some decent fights... So expecting Rai to die by fights is a stretch. Nobles can live almost for an eternity thanks to their unrivaled lifeforce...Frankenstein is worried because every fight reduces Rai's lifespan.

I am sure Muzaka would put a good fight unless he too is suffering from the hibernation. I think he is a noble or some contract being...

Noblesse Forever!

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strixflash View Post
    I think people are misunderstood about Raizel's life force. Sure his life is very less compared to past but it is enough to give some decent fights... So expecting Rai to die by fights is a stretch. Nobles can live almost for an eternity thanks to their unrivaled lifeforce...Frankenstein is worried because every fight reduces Rai's lifespan.

I am sure Muzaka would put a good fight unless he too is suffering from the hibernation. I think he is a noble or some contract being...
    I'm not sure if we're misunderstanding Raizel's life force or not, I hope we're not because I think the great downfall of Raizel as a character is that he's clearly overpowered compared to his opposition.

Which is my complaint about the Roctis fight actually. We all know who's going to win. It's not even in the least bit of doubt. The struggle is important and without that struggle I think there is a very low ceiling on what Noblesse can actually achieve as a series. It's like Superman in a world without Cryptonite. For a while that sense of "he's dying is he going to have enough left" provided that struggle but as he continues to fight and seem undiminished that chink in his armor seems less real.

Then things get stale. So I'm really hoping Noblesse takes the next step soon; whatever that step may be.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

This got me thinking... What if Muzaka was who Rai was fighting 820 years ago? They both ended up in similar situations. Rai woke up first, but Muzaka could be almost the same power level as Rai if he survived the battle and is hibernating.

I'm now concerned that if Muzaka senses Rai on the island, this will wake him up all by itself. Rai destroying Roctis could result in a rampaging Werewolf that no one can stop, especially with Rai weakening with every fight.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    This got me thinking... What if Muzaka was who Rai was fighting 820 years ago? They both ended up in similar situations. Rai woke up first, but Muzaka could be almost the same power level as Rai if he survived the battle and is hibernating.

I'm now concerned that if Muzaka senses Rai on the island, this will wake him up all by itself. Rai destroying Roctis could result in a rampaging Werewolf that no one can stop, especially with Rai weakening with every fight.
    If Muzaka was the one who forced Rai used a lot of power on then Muzaka isn't so strong. I mean 820 years ago Rai didn't even undo his seal so he didn't even face whatever he faced with his full power. We have to remember that when Rai awakened he had hs earing on.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

But, but.... He Used to have one in each ear! ...or... he had a spare!

There, I solved your well thought out question with mindless drivel.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

But, but.... He Used to have one in each ear! ...or... he had a spare!

There, I solved your well thought out question with mindless drivel.
    He got a pair from the old lord and Rai always only wears one on his left ear. If he takes it off the earring shatters. When he awakened Rai was still wearing one earring and the other one was at his mansion in Lukedonia. He destroyed one when he took it off against the new lord. The other one got detsoryed when he faced Urokai and Roctis then he got one form Frankenstein and that one got also destroyed.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he released his seal and then use it again?

Noblesse Forever!

Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he released his seal and then use it again?
    If this would have been possible then why didn't he reuse the ones the old lord gave him? From what we have seen the seals shatter when Rai takes them off and nothing hints that he can reuse them. Seeing that Franken was forced to imitate the seals the lord gave to Rai also indicates that once they are taken off they can't be reused.

Besides that we saw how Rai takes the seal off. Do you think that Rai is the kind of person who would after a hard fight or whatever start searching for all the peices of the seal?

Another point to add is that Muzaka has a lot of scars on his body. Wouldn't you think if Muzaka wields a power as great as Rai's that he would be untouchable? Which means that there won't be anyone who would be able to even touch him. We could say he got these scars from Rai but the scars on Muzaka's body look like claws.
    Last edited by Mohsen; December 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, probably Muzaka didn't start out uber-powerful. Werewolves seem like the kind to get stronger through conflict, so he fought his way to the top. Makes sense to me.

Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, probably Muzaka didn't start out uber-powerful. Werewolves seem like the kind to get stronger through conflict, so he fought his way to the top. Makes sense to me.
    This could be true but this would also mean that anybody could become powerful by training. So if Muzaka was asleep for a few hundred years then why wasn't there a werewolf who took over his place?

If Muzaka= Rai in terms of power then why is it that Roctis and co are so afraid of Rai. I mean if they have somebody who could challenge Rai shouldn't they be more at ease? And why would Roctis say that in order to be able to face Rai the other three traitors are needed?

I'm not saying that Muzaka is not powerful!I think he is quite powerful in his own right. He is most likely in the category of clan leader strength.
    What forced Rai into hibernation could be a contractee of all the traitors and werewolves. I mean imagine a being getting power from 6 clan leaders and werewolves.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mohsen View Post
    What forced Rai into hibernation could be a contractee of all the traitors and werewolves. I mean imagine a being getting power from 6 clan leaders and werewolves.
    o.O

You're suggesting that one person was contracted to multiple nobles and werewolves in order to get much stronger?

Hmmmmm...
    1) Assuming it is possible to form contracts with werewolves, and
    2) assuming it is possible to form contracts with multiple nobles simultaneously,
    we've never seen a contractee actually stronger than the person he was contracted to. Even with 6 nobles and werewolves, I doubt the contractee would be stronger than the strongest of the masters involved.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackdynamite410's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though this fight appears to be going down the same road as all of Rai's other fights I'm not so sure that's how things will end up. The last time Rai used his blood wings he had a moment where he staggered and left a brief opening for Urokai and Zarga to attack. Thag was the first time we've ever seen Rai be affected by his use of power during a fight and that was coming off a brief sleep. If he keeps pushing himself we might see Rai get injured for the first time even though it won't change the overall outcome.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdynamite410 View Post
    Even though this fight appears to be going down the same road as all of Rai's other fights I'm not so sure that's how things will end up. The last time Rai used his blood wings he had a moment where he staggered and left a brief opening for Urokai and Zarga to attack. Thag was the first time we've ever seen Rai be affected by his use of power during a fight and that was coming off a brief sleep. If he keeps pushing himself we might see Rai get injured for the first time even though it won't change the overall outcome.
    Well the strange thing is that against Urokai and Zarga Rai immediately bled from his moth and eye when he unleashed his wings but this time it seems like it isn't affecting him at all.
    Maybe Rai really absorbed the life-force of Urokai and Zarga and that is why he is in better shape.

Besides that the wings this time seem to be different from the ones he used last time.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackdynamite410's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The wings are definitely smaller than last time.

I've wondered the same thing about what happens when Rai kills a clan leader. Does he destroy them and their soul weapon thus eliminating the clan altogether? I guess we'll find out in a few chapters.

What if Muzaka was the previous werewolf lord and was betrayed by the 2nd elder but without the 5ths knowledge. I believe she has some relation to him.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast