Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
I don't know if is right to make a new thread or post this in the anime thread, but since seems to be that everyone is talking about the events itself there... i don't know... SO
1) I think Hanji is highly understimated in the anime, she's shown just like a crazy scientific clown. In the manga she represents curiosity, intellect and, when is necessary, a prudent wisdom. This last rol has been give only to levi in the anime and over emphasized in my opinion. Not even the OVA fix this image.
2) Mikasa's skills seems to be quite less in the anime when fighting the female titan. In the manga, Annie looks much more wounded and scared from her. Also, they have shown her using a levi-like spinning motion, which in the manga is only shown after she gains respect from levi and accepts his advice.
3) The obvious change in the battle at Stohess district. It looks like too over the top action in relation to the manga and here is where Hanji leadership and prudence is completely unshown. Also, creating that "rage mode" was a huge mistake in my opinion, since it seems to be the shounen hero's miracle ability, how are they going to present the coordinate now? lol Finally, i object the appearance of the wall titan, but is still fixable if they find a way to lead to the same escene in the manga without changing the plot.
There's much more...
I don't know how much is Isayama involved with the anime, but i hope he starts to do bigger supervision.
I think the anime should add more drama, make great action sequences (Like it has done, but in the escenes i mentioned) but without changing much.
My humble opinion...
Does anyone agree?
I don´t saw any problem with the anime and Isayama had to check everything first... so they didn´t really acted on their own for this one.
to counter the arguments.
1) If you read the manga then Hanji´s badass moments you mentioned have simply not come yet as it is only after the wall titan shows up that she takes on a huge role that you mentioned.
In season three you will see her in the prime.
2) That was the animators that worked on a strict schedule.
and besides, just having Eren throw her up would not provide enough time for an episode without inducing the following hysteria with the wall titan.
think about it... what good would come to introduce that titan, have the characters panic and then cut the show there until it´s time for the third season? And beside, she did what she did in the manga, only in motion.
3) What Eren did... was no power-up.
It didn´t made him stronger, faster or anything like that. It was not a acquired superpower, it was just him snapping.
He simply pushed himself to the limit and burned up nicely while snatching Annie in the process. A desperate adrenaline rush.
that´s it. It is not a super mode.
The only problem I have, is that they let Levi cut Eren out. that was the only mistake the anime did.
otherwise your opinions are explainable.
One of the things I disliked in the anime was how they showed Hange. Especially in Stohess when she acted crazy during a hot battle. And how much they emphasize Levi, what was the point of his ankle breaking if he then cut Eren out? That and the characters (mainly Armin and Eren) were all over the place in the last few eps.
Not saying I disliked the Anime, most of it was great (the soundtrack, animation, and voices really stood out, and it was well directed by Araki). The only real problem I had with it were that it falls short with the characters sometimes compared to the Manga. Not that they butchered them or anything that bad.
Haven't got to watch it yet. I really hope they don't screw things up too badly with filler and character derailment.
in the manga Armin and Eren have more of a bromance going on. but in the anime they keep getting farther apart. in the manga, after the battle with Annie, it was Armin who pulled Eren out of his titan, not Levi. also, in the manga Eren is seen letting Armin stand on his hand while he is in his titan form. this was not in the anime.
it's the small things that get me T^T
---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------
but aside from the little things they didn't add, the anime is very faithful to the manga. unlike other manga-based animes
for me stohess was butchered. making eren a violent nut instead of his awesome caring about his friends and doing what the situation demands, not acting on his personal desires self.
ARMIN. i've read somewhere that araki interpretes him as a person with a potential to grow into a dictator? what the heck? if this was true, i can understand why he portaited him the way he did, especially in stohess. what about the closeness he has with eren in the original story; their bond is so damn deep, but in the anime that seems to be forgotten/ignored. and the most beautiful scene in the universe, parallel to ymir/historia's. i'm so upset that this parallel won't exist in the show.
annie's crystallization, there was no need to involve eren. also i'm kinda upset they didn't show her cry the way isayama did in the manga, it was so much more powerful, i still get shivers whenever i think of it. then... returning to armin, i will always be angry about that scene in the room, armin being so distant AND TELLING EREN HE FUCKED UP, something manga!Armin would never do. Also Armin didn't wave and Mikasa didn't blush and smile (and that was so precious!)
NO HAIR RUFFLE
NO ARMIN COMMANDING Mikasa
Hange's behaviour in Stohess was a freaking joke
Of course no armin standing on Eren's hand... ugh, i shouldn't even get started on stohess, my hate towards that arc in the anime is too strong ._.
(and i love it so much in the manga, you see my problem).
okay, okay, this is the messiest thing i've written in a long time. basically, most of characters' depth being to an extend overlooked, armin's character misinterpreted, same with hange.
Last edited by teiran; April 03, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
After reading the manga I started to dislike how Jean was portrayed in the anime. He never became this "righteous" person in the manga.
And why did he leave the cab in the anime?? They probably wanted him to seem.. cool or whatever.. but what about being Eren's body double?
How will they be able to use him in the same way again now when everyone knows??
The anime adaption of Snk seems more like a fanfiction really.. and the characters are a bit ooc now and then. I still love the anime but I wish it was more accurate.