Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ten Typesetting Tips

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ten Typesetting Tips

Evilsqueakheads, I assume you are one of those who work at the legal department at some company and make sure to add notifications in the manual such as "It is not safe to put cat in microwave"?

EDIT: Or wait, I forgot that most people on the Internet can't think by themselves and just typeset and compress and send and never look at their resulting 2px font size. So I guess it was a good thing to comment in.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Evilsqueakheads's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, what? I'm not the one compressing and resizing. I go to online readers to check the quality of my group's releases, see the 2px text, and get irritated about it. Why not compromise and make the super-tiny text a bit larger? Unless you're in one of those groups that don't allow mirrors/online reader hosting, this is happening to you too.
    Last edited by Evilsqueakheads; September 20, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
    ~I'm always here, singing forever. ~
    ~My voice will never go away. ~
    ~But my body has turned to rot, my spirit corrupted. ~
    ~So god help me please, where did I go wrong?~

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

2pt can actually be a really large font, it depends on the DPI. 2px is always small, on the other hand. And I have no idea what your point is, you must have misunderstood me somehow. I was saying that telling people to not use an unreadable font size is like telling people that cats do not belong in microwaves.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Name-Undecided's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Super-tiny text from compression is something for the fans to worry about. If they care enough to read the "real thing", they can follow up to your site.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot for the list, even though I don't translate anything it's helpful for colourisations containing text bubbles as well, especially since that often requires drastical changes in style for every single panel to pitch the atmosphere.
    I think a very important point I couldn't directly find in the list is the spacing between characters, both in and between lines.
    High spacing sometimes "feels" like slow talking and doesn't seem to suit intense situations quite right, while too low spacing feels like speedy talking which can be very unsuitable as well (and mostly only fits to "fun" scenes).

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2