Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: "庭内"?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

"庭内"?

Hi again.
    In a gambling den a character introduces the female boss.
    He says that she runs all the business in the "niwauchi" (it's the author who gives us the reading), the handling of the cargos at the harbor, the long row of brothels and the gambling den where they are. This "niwauchi" word appears in other dialogues during the chapter.
    Let's go to the niwauchi, infiltrate into the niwauchi, have you ever been at the niwauchi? and so on.
    If I think about the entire fief as the daimyou "house", the small part made of the harbor + brothels street + gambling den (and the houses near there) could be like an "inner garden" in his gigantic domains...but maybe I'm stretching things too much here.

Has "niwauchi" got some more accurate meaning, like, I don't know, a "fun and games area"?
    Last edited by Guren no heya kara; January 30, 2014 at 06:23 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "庭内"?

Without seeing the images I can't say for certain, but I have a feeling you are right. The impression I get is, 庭内 specifically refers to the kind of 'core' region of the entire place. I suspect there is a definite contrast (in one aspect or another) between 庭内 and the area surrounding it. 庭内 can be one of those words with a meaning depending on the setting (specifically location in this case,) and doesn't necessarily stand literally.

Hope this helps a bit!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Standard reading for 庭内 is "teinai," while 内庭 is "uchiniwa." I'm not really sure but "niwauchi (庭内?)" can be just a made-up name of the place for gambling in the story.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think that it's the name of the gambling den too.
    A garden is something where you can relax and have a nice time, so it can just be a funny way to call a gambling den.
    You go there, relax, have a nice time, come out pennyless.
    Too bad that in the drawings of the den from the outside there are no wooden signs with its name near the entrance or above it.

New Reply