Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Flashbacks, or the lack of...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member devstauk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Flashbacks, or the lack of...

So we all know and can agree that almost if not all characters, that have met their maker in bleach has had some kind of back story or flashback to give us some insight as to what the character was all about, yet the recent war and characters within the war have had no backstory/flashback when they have meet their ends.

Also there's been very little information given about the Quincy other then the drips and drabs from Uuyru and also some history on Ichigo's mum. Now i don't blame kubo for bad writing due to him probably having some kind of plan in the future with regards to these things. But i'd like to discuss what your opinion are for these and hopefully get some interesting theories going
    Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flashbacks, or the lack of...

Not at all. I don't think this is bad writing. If you remember me, I had been raging on Bleach pretty hard on and off for month. But the beginning of Soul Society invasion up to Yamamoto's death is exceptionally good (Kubo really defy many of his cliches and overdone fight thematics). Though, it doesn't have quite the mystery feel of Soul Society arc. I think the pacing was way better and there are a lot more suspense (rival Soul Society).

I think one attribute was focus. Since Yamamoto was the main focus in couple of chapter, his flashback is necessary for us to feel how his death will effect thing. The Yourself's flashback was to help explain the twist that just happen. We do get somewhat of a "flashback" for the leader by his reaction to Yamamoto's bankai and his dead ex comrades <--- this sort of thing, I like much better than a flashback that take up one chapter.

I am still rereading to see where the writing start to stink. But if one is arguing why it could be bad writing, because there was a lack of hint of the existence of all these characters. Someone brought up that there is no trace of Sabo in Oda's work prior to the chapters leading up to Ace's death. If such can irks a few people, then let's magnify it to 100x with the whole bunch of quincy. The One Piece's world is huge enough for people to hide, but even though the Bleach's world is huge, to the readers like me, I felt it is really small in comparison.

If Kubo start to give distinct personality, back story, etc for so many characters at once, there would be consistence issues. Like Masculine dude, in his initial appearance, he did not act that extremely cartoonish.

Though during the Arrancar arc, flashbacks did also serve to enrich the world of Hueco Mundo. So if Kubo can keep them short and focus and give up some neat details it would be great.

Since there is nothing to base on to talk about, I got no theory beside commenting on Kubo's writing and purpose of flashbacks.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Also, Yamamoto's flashbacks were break up in small chunks here and there. And I like how that is done too.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Oh, and quincy doesn't have the cover pages like some visors, arrancar, vice captains, and captains.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; December 30, 2013 at 01:31 AM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post, but the reason i made this thread wasn't necessarily about the way kubo writes or anything like that. What the thread was intended for was to get some insight or some theories going about why the Quincy's have had 1 flashback (which in some ways you mentioned) and the rest have had none, i do understand the fact we have yet to see the rest of the quincy's fight and lose as is the running theme with flashbacks but it seems strange to me that they haven't really been elaborated on other then they are there to destroy the shinigami.

Llyod and Rryod are the only two that have had flashbacks out of the invading force, and as weixiaobao stated that was to help us understand what was going on with Yamamoto's death in the coming chapter.

Does anyone think there is a purpose for Quincy's getting little to no flashbacks? if so then what are they? Also would you want to see flashbacks to them? is so why?
    Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devstauk View Post
    Does anyone think there is a purpose for Quincy's getting little to no flashbacks? if so then what are they? Also would you want to see flashbacks to them? is so why?

See there is an assumption to your question. The assumption is that Kubo plan it this way. My thinking is this, he didn't plan it this way but he just didn't really had the time or space to insert any of them in. Unlike the fake town arc, the initial invasion happen simultaneously and many fights started at once. Some fights, Kubo wisely only gave like 3 seconds glimpses in order to focus into either Yamamoto and Byakuya. Once the moments passed, he just doesn't feel the need for it.

There are space and time for he to do it this time around, sort of. To keep the pacing, he join Toshiga and Soi Feng's fights together. In Kumamora's fight, he had a decision to made whether to focus on the quincy and or Kumamora. And again, he chose wisely. Consider all that he had done, I could now understand why the training break and Masculine's fight felt so drag out.

I think we will continue to see this trend, probably max 3-4 quincy (including the emperor) will have the flashback treatment in the future. There is just no room for them.

I believe I answered all of your questions in the last post.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

While i like your post and think you have a true enough notion of the whole flashback situation, i have a theory as to why we may not be getting them for some of the quincy.

The theory i have goes like this, Llyod & Ryod were born with abilities which were to mimic others in some way so they got a flashback. Those that have not had a flashback weren't born with the abilities they have, instead were actually created/cloned from previous true quincy's with some what the same memories and abilities but are actually just pawns in Ywach's war plans, making them truely disposable to him.

While i know these are pretty bold claims with nothing supporting them it is only a theory. But i do feel there is more to the reason behind some not getting flashbacks and others getting them more then just a time issue with Kubo i mean we know he expects this arc to go on for a good 9-10years from the end of the fullbring arc, so timing shouldn't really be a problem.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

The one flashback I look forward to is young Yamamoto vs. Zangetsu-looking Yhwach, cause I'd really like to know why they fought in the past. I have a feeling it's somehow connected to the creation of Quincies and/or even the Soul King, and if that's right, then we might also see Tensa Zangetsu-looking Yhwach. The story of how he became the king.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

So we recently had a flashback for Ywach, which gave us some kind of hint as to what his ability was, this sort of concretes my theory that most of the quincy's within the SR aren't natural quincy.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than Ywhach and some others that may be pivotal to the plot, I don't see why every Quincy needs a flashback or a backstory. Loyd and Royd were examples were backstory mattered.

So long as Kubo as can convincingly portray their personalities, flashbacks aren't necessary. There are too many characters for that. Bambietta was a good example. She was batshit crazy, so suffering a defeat makes sense to us, apart from simply being the bad guy.

Personally, I like how it's been done so far. It keeps the suspense alive.

Also, flashbacks aren't the only way to learn about them. I'm also certain if Kubo kept doing flashbacks, we'd get tired of it really soon. We didn't need a flashback to learn that Driscoll killed Sasakibe. Seeing it might've been interesting, but not necessary, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Exodi; February 05, 2014 at 02:25 AM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Exodi View Post
    Other than Ywhach and some others that may be pivotal to the plot, I don't see why every Quincy needs a flashback.

Personally, I like how it's been done so far. It keeps the suspense alive.

I agree to some degree but it would be nice to get a little development to the characters, I do like the way things are done, i just been finding it strange that we got a fair amount of flashbacks during the Espada arc, but we have very little with the new enemies.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hollowichigoblazed's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The flashback I would like to see would be the captains before they died did they have powers like ichigo and who sent them to soul society since a soul reaper sends you who was the first .my bad if that didn't make sence THC
    If you dont like me then fine it cost you nothing pay me no mind

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume most of the Sternritter are less important characters like the Fraccion, so when it comes down to the last 5-10 Sternritter or whatever, I could see their characters being fleshed out more.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowichigoblazed View Post
    The flashback I would like to see would be the captains before they died did they have powers like ichigo and who sent them to soul society since a soul reaper sends you who was the first .my bad if that didn't make sence THC
    Do you expect some captains to die ???

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dark blood View Post
    Do you expect some captains to die ???
    think he meant before they were souls in SS
    Spoiler show

New Reply