Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wake Up, Girls!

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wake Up, Girls!

Wake Up, Girls!

Episodes: ?
    Aired: Jan 11, 2014 to ?
    Producers: Tatsunoko Productions, Ordet
    Genres: Music, Slice of Life

Synopsis
    Green Leaves Entertainment is a tiny production company on the verge of going out of business in Sendai, the biggest city in Japan's northeastern Tohoku region. The agency once managed the careers of magicians, photo idols, fortune-tellers, and other entertainers, but its last remaining client finally quit. In danger of having zero talent (literally), the president Tange hatches an idea of producing an idol group. On the brash president's orders, the dissatisfied manager Matsuda heads out to scout raw talent. Matsuda makes a fateful encounter with a certain girl...

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wake Up, Girls!

Anyone who actually watched an episode (+ the short prequel movie)? I've seen a few good reviews of the shows but I'm still not sure if it's worth checking out =/

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about it watching it too. I'll probably end up dropping Hamatora, or something. I'm not sure how you'll feel about idol anime, but would be interested in your reaction.

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I've been thinking about it watching it too. I'll probably end up dropping Hamatora, or something. I'm not sure how you'll feel about idol anime, but would be interested in your reaction.
    Never watched an Idol anime and considering that I'm only watching 10 shows from this season so far, I guess it's worth checking out =) There's only one rather unknown group who subbed the show besides Horrible Subs, but nearly everyone is better than them, so I will go with that. Will report my thoughts when I've got an impression

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished Love Live last week. An incredibly enjoyable anime that would probably make any one who hates moe shriek. You managed to watch some military moe last season, idol anime this season can't hurt.

That happened last season, with Non Non Biyori. Only HS (and maybe some random group) subbed the first episode. A real group stepped in starting with the second. I may wait until after episode two. Maybe another group picks it up. I'm watching a lot of show this season, I should finish watching everything that came out on Sunday and Monday before picking up something new.

---------- Post added January 16, 2014 at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was January 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM ----------

I watched the movie. The reviews were on point, WUG is very good. I'll watch episode one later tonight.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

The movie especially was pretty good. The first episode makes sure for those who have skipped it to get a feel of what has happened, so, it doesn't add too much stuff on top of it. If you skip the movie, you might even think it's a fanservice anime (since episode 1 almost starts with panty shots), but it doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's not an idol comedy, though, so, for those who are after such a series, it's not a good watch.

All girls in the group have their hopes and their own character traits. It's not a 1 leader + 20x same prototype girl story, so, I liked the character setting. So far, it has been my surprise anime of the season, totally surpassing my expectations by far, since I thought this would be something more bland.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the girls really do have distinct personalities. In episode one,Yamakan (the director) did a good job giving each girl a chance to show off her personality. The end of the episode was great, with that sleazy producer throwing the bikini down on the table.

The seven actresses who play the Wake Up, Girls are all unknowns, winners of a nationwide, open casting call. Over 2000 girls auditioned for the parts. The characters are all named after the voice actresses who play them. The movie earned ¥10 million over it's first four days in theaters. I'm curious how many screens it opened on. I am guessing only a limited number. I should be able to find out when Bopx Office Mojo is updated. ¥10 million is usually enough for a movie to make the lower reaches of the top twenty. Overall response to Wake Up, Girls has been extremely positive.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2:

Now, compared to the first one which acted more like complementary to the movie, this episode was quite packed. I wasn't surprised to see them accepting the swimsuit job although they were reluctant about it, obviously. The way Miyu finally snapped was interesting. She was the most optimistic one amongst all, but apparently, she had more to it on the inside and her getting encouraged by her local fans was my favourite moment.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

This idol anime really grew on me and I likde the first 2 episodes, also because some of the things they have shown in it really do happen, unfortunately.
    I should watch the movie soon to have a better understanding of the whole series.
    Anyway I'll keep watching it, because it's worth it, at least for me.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Started half of the movie and watched tiny segments of other eps, loving it so far, "melancholic and realistic" as Haku puts it. All 7 of the idols in the main cast are brilliant. Minami stands out to me a bit more than the rest. I want to wait for the end before I continue though, I don't want to watch something with a sad ending

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 4:

Mayushi's past was always going to be a thing within this show and now it's cracked. Some really ugly sort of stuff seems to have gone behind the doors, which led to Mayushi's retirement. I wonder if all of her old friends know the real truth about all that or they just feel betrayed, as well. It would be tough to tackle the issue head on, so, I don't expect anything going public at this point.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting because, what? this is like a 12, 13-ep series? And already there's so much tension built up in ep4, seemingly about to explode. Makes you wonder what the real climax of the show would be like, which usually starts to come in at around ep 9 or 10? Or maybe, the whole show is mainly about Mayu's struggle in this? (Movie was more or less all about her, Ep1 started with her etc.) and though I like WUG still I'm just no good with shows like these.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

And that maggot of a guy deserves a hadouken into his face, yeah.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

There are more members in the group who might possibly get an episode focused on them, as well. The pace overall is good. Mayu's comeback wasn't well received and that's what was supposed to happen in a situation like that. I wonder what's the deal with her mother, though. Maybe she got effected by that scandal somehow, now blaming her daughter. A terrible position to be in, no matter how you look at it.
    Judging by the realistic setting, I expect a rather anti-climactic end without any fireworks, setting things up for future, leaving them half in the air, which would be a finale I would be fine with.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayushi had it rough in the past it seems and probably all for a misunderstanding, that the media (as always) overexagerated....
    I wonder if the truth will come to the surface someday and Mayushi's name will be reabilitated.
    Anyway I'm digging this show and the realiustic take on it makes it more interesting.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    It's interesting because, what? this is like a 12, 13-ep series? And already there's so much tension built up in ep4, seemingly about to explode. Makes you wonder what the real climax of the show would be like, which usually starts to come in at around ep 9 or 10? Or maybe, the whole show is mainly about Mayu's struggle in this? (Movie was more or less all about her, Ep1 started with her etc.) and though I like WUG still I'm just no good with shows like these.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

And that maggot of a guy deserves a hadouken into his face, yeah.
    I think that Ordet and Tatsunoko are positioning Wake Up, Girls to be a long running, mixed media franchise. They seem to be promoting WUG very hard, marketing it more heavily than usual for a TV anime. The cast is meant to be a real idol group. The seven girls are all newcomers, cast as part of an open audition, that included about 2000 entrants. The characters are all named after their voice actresses too. This season probably is more about introducing the characters, establishing them as local favorites, and preparing the next stage of the series. The climax to this season will probably something relatively minor. The girls overcoming their past, their insecurities, and their fears to achieve something at the local level. Major achievements, like national fame, or even preforming in Tokyo, probably will be saved for later.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

It's also worth noting that Tatsunoko was recently sold by toymaker Takara Tomy (creator of Transformers) to NTV for a considerable sum of money. NTV has deep pockets, and want to expand their anime line. They already seem to be looking at potential franchises, including making a Gatchaman: Crowds movie. Wake Up, Girls probably will be viewed as a potential franchise, with potential music and movie crossovers, in addition to the TV anime.

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast