Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wake Up, Girls!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wake Up, Girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I think that Ordet and Tatsunoko are positioning Wake Up, Girls to be a long running, mixed media franchise. They seem to be promoting WUG very hard, marketing it more heavily than usual for a TV anime. The cast is meant to be a real idol group. The seven girls are all newcomers, cast as part of an open audition, that included about 2000 entrants. The characters are all named after their voice actresses too. This season probably is more about introducing the characters, establishing them as local favorites, and preparing the next stage of the series. The climax to this season will probably something relatively minor. The girls overcoming their past, their insecurities, and their fears to achieve something at the local level. Major achievements, like national fame, or even preforming in Tokyo probably will be saved for later.
    Ah okay I get it now. This is very interesting, having heard your explanation, I really look forward to see what will become of the show and the direction they're heading towards. Also explains why the voice acting is obviously amateur-ish for some of them, though I personally enjoy such and find it rather 'homely' for whatever reasons (also instantly reminds me of The Voices of a Distant Star, too, in which the original voice acting is done by the author and his then girlfriend themselves.)

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    It's also worth noting that Tatsunoko was recently sold by toymaker Takara Tomy (creator of Transformers) to NTV for a considerable sum of money. NTV has deep pockets, and want to expand their anime line. They already seem to be looking at potential franchises, including making a Gatchaman: Crowds movie. Wake Up, Girls probably will be viewed as a potential franchise, with potential music and movie crossovers, in addition to the TV anime.
    And yes, the music is definitely another thing I'd love to see more of from WUG. Music aside, I was really taken aback when I first saw their performance (dance-wise,) it was very appealing, something that highly contrasted with those from The Idolm@ster for say (which had a very typical, anime-feel to it.) I don't know if it were the direction, the art style, or both, but it was very refreshing to see.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pic of the real raman stand that inspired the restaurant where Kaya worked,

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Final Episode:
    The final episode was very well done. Such perseverance from everyone, of course, especially Yoppi. That hard effort did not go unnoticed, even though they didn't win the festival contest.

This series really lived up to the strong opening it had. Definitely the sleeper of the season by some distance for me. Knowing that WUG! girls are still yet to fully blossom in idol business, I hope we will get that sequel the show much deserved.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    Final Episode:
    The final episode was very well done. Such perseverance from everyone, of course, especially Yoppi. That hard effort did not go unnoticed, even though they didn't win the festival contest.

This series really lived up to the strong opening it had. Definitely the sleeper of the season by some distance for me. Knowing that WUG! girls are still yet to fully blossom in idol business, I hope we will get that sequel the show much deserved.
    Yeah, I feel the same too and a second season doesn't seem to be iìso far away.
    That's my hope at least, because I really loved this anime and the girls.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2