Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Space☆Dandy

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Space☆Dandy

Space☆Dandy

Episodes: 26
    Aired: Jan 4, 2014 to ?
    Producers: Bones, Bandai Visual, FUNimation EntertainmentL, flying DOG
    Genres: Comedy, Sci-Fi, Space

Synopsis
    Space Dandy is a dandy in space! This dreamy adventurer with a to-die-for pompadour travels across the galaxy in search of aliens no one has ever laid eyes on. Each new species he discovers earns him a hefty reward, but this dandy has to be quick on his feet because it's first come, first served! Accompanied by his sidekicks, a rundown robot named QT and Meow the cat-looking space alien, Dandy bravely explores unknown worlds inhabited by a variety of aliens. Join the best dressed alien hunter in all of space and time as he embarks on an adventure that ends at the edge of the universe!

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Space☆Dandy

Glad that the first episode of Space Dandy looks solid enough for me. The first couple of minutes might be cringe worthy for some people, but I guess that's just a tongue-in-cheek reference about Hooters. Animation looks splendid too, as well as likable characters which left me with good impressions on them. Definitely I don't regret picking this series up, hopefully it goes well.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed episode one. A little bit of everything in this show. Funny, with great dialog, clever gags, and lots of action. The Statue of Liberty with a gag ball was priceless. My favorite was the very, very slow, out of date teleportation device. The main cast were all memorable, especially QT and Meow. The animation was spectacular, but that goes without saying. Overall the attitude, and style, reminds me of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. Part action, part comedy, part parody, part tribute.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely going to continue watching Space Dandy. I love how Dandy is like a parody to 1980s anime at least animation wise. I don't think the series is meant to be taken seriously so I'm glad I can watch it for pure entertainment.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Great first episode imo, enjoyed it the most out of the anime this season

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WTF did I just watch?

I'm not sure what to think of this show after episode 1. It was like it was actively trying not to make any sense. It's BONES so I'll give it at least until episode four, but I'm really hoping the next episode gets something going.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what your looking for. It's supposed to be like old Tex Avery and Hanna Barbara cartoons. Wattanbe promoted it as a screwball comedy when the project was first announced. All of the episodes should be silly, over the top, and garish, with a lot of physical comedy. The whole series will probably be episodic.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm not sure what your looking for. It's supposed to be like old Tex Avery and Hanna Barbara cartoons. Wattanbe promoted it as a screwball comedy when the project was first announced. All of the episodes should be silly, over the top, and garish, with a lot of physical comedy. The whole series will probably be episodic.
    It's not the episodic aspect that bothered me. I'm fine with that. What I don't get is what it's trying to do, period. Like in Hanna Barbara cartoons they take a story or theme and do zanny comedy with it. That was their target and they hit it perfectly, IMO. With Space Dandy's first episode it didn't seem to have a target.

The first half was a bizarre attempt of world building, which really wasn't even trying(which begs the question why bother), and then it tipped over toward plotless ecchi and then with like 10 minutes left in the episode it decided it was going to be a space adventure and then it landed on a planet and turned into a zany comedy And then it blew everything up. In order to be episodic it has to actually be trying to do something with an episode. This just kinda took a step in every possible direction and then literally exploded.

Now the second episode was a bit more well put together. It actually stuck with a theme of sorts and focused on space adventure comedy. I'm not sure if it's going to be my thing or not but I actually get what that episode is trying to do.
    Last edited by Jammin; January 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It's best not take Space☆Dandy seriously. It's a show where a character can die and be easily brought back to life like what happened in the pilot. Even though an empire's base got blown up, it appeared again the following week as if nothing happened. Certain rules of logic that we find in other shows do not really apply here.

On that vein, I hope we're never given a reason why one of the empires that are waging war are trying to capture Dandy. It's more fun that way.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Eaten by breasts ...

Boobies>Meow for Dandy. At least he got money but he will probably waste everything at Boobies.

---------- Post added January 28, 2014 at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was January 19, 2014 at 09:45 PM ----------

And I thought at first it would be the first serious episode. Being a zombie isn't so bad, but of course nothing will matter in the next episode.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

We're not rotting, we're fermenting!!

It's funny how the last half of the episode was basically the narrator describing what the characters were feeling and saying their dialogues for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    And I thought at first it would be the first serious episode. Being a zombie isn't so bad, but of course nothing will matter in the next episode.
    I doubt this show will ever have a serious episode tbh. They might explain in more detail why the Gogol Empire is trying to get ahold of Dandy, but it'll most likely be shown in a comedic matter.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

KanaHana is just a wonderful VA *Finally decides to vote for her*.

An episode where Dandy doesn't go to Boobies... Dandy shown his good side and his relation with Adelie was good. Hope to see her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I doubt this show will ever have a serious episode tbh.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I love how low-key this episode was in terms of wackiness/crazy stunts after the previous zombie episode. It was touching to see how Dandy can act mature if he wants to, and how a comedic show such as this one can manage to tug heartstrings.

It's too bad for the people who dropped the anime that they didn't get to watch an episode like this. Perhaps they could have stayed on board longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    oop @ me tbh. (This always happens.)

EDIT: The soundtrack that's playing at the 4 min and 15 min marks are amazing. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to find the tracks for them since this isn't a movie.
    Last edited by Asarii; February 05, 2014 at 01:04 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Korean Kuroko's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this anime and in a very rare occurrence my brother does too.

Terra Formars/ Tokyo Ghoul/ Liar Game/ Kingdom/ Zetman

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Boobies, Honey, I missed you. Dandy's crew found rivals, the race was great. The end was crazy as usual but it was my favorite.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast