Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: will magi be one of the "big three" when naruto and bleach are over?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

will magi be one of the "big three" when naruto and bleach are over?

with both of those manga's on the verge of ending

will magi move up into a more popular role as one of the top three weekly manga?

will it move into the weekly shonen jump circulation? (if it isnt already)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member darkdana666's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: will magi be one of the "big three" when naruto and bleach are over?

Magi is one of the manga stories out there at the moment. Art, stories, characters, everything is superb. The story is both amusing and thought provoking. I believe it will become one of the "big 3"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkdana666 View Post
    Magi is one of the manga stories out there at the moment. Art, stories, characters, everything is superb. The story is both amusing and thought provoking. I believe it will become one of the "big 3"
    i agree, the art is amazing, the characters are great and the plot is second to none

this truly is one of the top mangas TODAY let alone when those other two end, it should easily become one of the top 3

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Magi SHOULD be, but as someone who loves it enough to call it my favorite I don't think it will ever reach the same popularity of the "big 3" current mangas. Fairy Tail is the closest to being one, and even that manga's prolonged existence is questioned if you follow it currently. For some reason though, magi appears to be wildly popular sales-wise, yet on these english speaking forums it doesn't even get a fraction of the discussion. Some people before have said that they didn't like the art, but could one really say that the art is the selling point of Naruto or One Piece? And the storyline is quite honestly far more interesting than Naruto and Bleach in my opinion. But for now, no other manga gets anywhere near the discussion of the "big three" and that will probably linger for a few months after each of them ends.

I think that the biggest problem with Magi becoming a high discussion manga though is the maturity of it. The fanservice in this manga is not as eye-rollingly intentional as a manga like Kenichi or sometimes Fairy Tail because it's part of the culture and geographic area this manga takes place in. Also, not everyone wants to discuss politics and ethics, despite how brilliantly they are tied into a fantasy world. Everyone here has been mature enough to talk about it in a productive way, but can you imagine how the discussion will go if you get some true ideologues jumping into it? Ugh.

And btw, is it just me or do we cherish the integrity of the anime more than we would for other animes? I for one sort of fear any filler arcs, though I could see how they may handle it. The ability to keep adding fillers endlessly due to how open-ended some of the big three are seems to have helped prolong their popularity (except for Bleach, fullbringers felt like filler and the fans agreed).
    Last edited by obamamania; January 10, 2014 at 02:06 PM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Big 3 exists only in Shonen Jump, well existed. You could say there is a big 2 with OP and Naruto but Bleach is not as popular as before. I find Magi way better than Naruto and like it a little more than One Piece. It deserves to be more popular.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    Big 3 exists only in Shonen Jump, well existed. You could say there is a big 2 with OP and Naruto but Bleach is not as popular as before. I find Magi way better than Naruto and like it a little more than One Piece. It deserves to be more popular.
    well thats why part of the question is about magi changing serializations

there is a possibility that WSJ will pick up magi and FT when naruto and bleach exit

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REN KOUEN View Post

there is a possibility that WSJ will pick up magi and FT when naruto and bleach exit
    Sunday will never permit it.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    Sunday will never permit it.
    well money talks, sunday obviously doesnt want to lose a title like magi

yet if WSJ forks out the big bucks, they will land any title they want

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Torikofan's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

well money talks, sunday obviously doesnt want to lose a title like magi

yet if WSJ forks out the big bucks, they will land any title they want
    I think WSJ would rather compete by promoting their own series like Haikyuu,Shokugeki,Nisekoi,World trigger,Assasination Classroom which will most likely be very big sellers if they aren't already, and if they want to have long running action series they have Onepeice and Toriko left (and hopefully World Trigger) and they could go on for more than 10 years at least.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Magi should be included in the Big three and probably replace naruto
    I prefer Magi then FT on being the closest one too take one of the Big Three thrones

regarding the WSJ topic, I don't think it would do good for Magi to change its publisher/serialization(?) to WSJ. Magi is currently doing good in its current serialization company. I also don't know if belonging to top serialization companies as WSJ would make a manga prosper or be more popular.

It up to us fans to promote and spread the love for Magi so that it would be recognize by the whole world

If only we could make other manga lovers open their eyes on the important issues Magi includes in its arc, then there's a greater possibility for the manga to be running for a long time such as Naruto, Inuyasha and such.

Too bad, it has been said that Magi is halfway on its conclusion. <<<- I hope not

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    Magi should be included in the Big three and probably replace naruto
    I prefer Magi then FT on being the closest one too take one of the Big Three thrones

regarding the WSJ topic, I don't think it would do good for Magi to change its publisher/serialization(?) to WSJ. Magi is currently doing good in its current serialization company. I also don't know if belonging to top serialization companies as WSJ would make a manga prosper or be more popular.

It up to us fans to promote and spread the love for Magi so that it would be recognize by the whole world

If only we could make other manga lovers open their eyes on the important issues Magi includes in its arc, then there's a greater possibility for the manga to be running for a long time such as Naruto, Inuyasha and such.

Too bad, it has been said that Magi is halfway on its conclusion. <<<- I hope not
    I am in process of recruiting some of my good friends on the naruto board to come check out magi

i think some of them will love it if they just give it a chance, i like it so much i even changed my naruto based name (kisame hoshigaki) to my current magi based name

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhm no.
    1. Bleach hasn't been popular in Japan for a long time.
    2. Magi doesn't run in Weekly Shonen Jump so it can't be considered Big 3 in the first place.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

That has never happened ever mid-serialization.
    Also why would Shonen Sunday give up their biggest success in forever to their direct competitor? I mean seriously?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nensense View Post
    Uhm no.
    1. Bleach hasn't been popular in Japan for a long time.
    2. Magi doesn't run in Weekly Shonen Jump so it can't be considered Big 3 in the first place.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

That has never happened ever mid-serialization.
    Also why would Shonen Sunday give up their biggest success in forever to their direct competitor? I mean seriously?
    They wouldnt give it up unless wsj just flexed its muscle and made them a financial offer they couldnt refuse

it does sound unlikely the more i think about it

just did some research

it seems case closed, ranma 1/2 and inu yasha wee the previous big dogs for shonen sunday

compared to the ridiculous names that wsj has had.... only inu yasha and magi compare in popularity

i do agree that its highly unlikely shonen sunday would sell its cash cow, wsj is on a different level

if they wanted it bad enough they could probably afford it

with that being said i am going to buy the actual volumes not the weekly serialized magazine

so it doesnt matter to me, im fine with magi being in shonen sunday
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; January 11, 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They wouldnt give it up unless wsj just flexed its muscle and made them a financial offer they couldnt refuse

it does sound unlikely the more i think about it

just did some research

it seems case closed, ranma 1/2 and inu yasha wee the previous big dogs for shonen sunday

compared to the ridiculous names that wsj has had.... only inu yasha and magi compare in popularity

i do agree that its highly unlikely shonen sunday would sell its cash cow, wsj is on a different level

if they wanted it bad enough they could probably afford it

with that being said i am going to buy the actual volumes not the weekly serialized magazine

so it doesnt matter to me, im fine with magi being in shonen sunday
    I just can't comprehend why you think it would be feasible in the first place.
    For example, can you imagine DC Comics selling Batman to Marvel?
    It's the same type of deal and a bizarre thing to even bring up.

But Sunday has had PLENTY more series that are very popular. Magi and Inuyasha are hardly on a league of their own.
    I mean what about Detective Conan, Major, and Gash Bell and a ton more?
    Last edited by Rica_Patin; January 11, 2014 at 09:30 PM.

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

"Big 3" was a term invented by the western audience anyway, it holds absolutely no meaning in Japan. The comparison to One Piece, Naruto or whatever is totally unnecessary anyway. Magi will stay at Shounen Sunday until it's finished, changing publishers (from Shogakukan to Shueisha) midway is nothing I ever heard of and it's not like I would want that to happen anyway. Let Ohtaka do what she want at Sunday, the series is totally fine where it is.

If you want to compare anything, do it by sales. One Piece and Shingeki no Kyojin are the current top-sellers, by far, followed by Naruto, Hunter x Hunter and Kimi ni Todoke. There are a bunch of series selling a bit less, but still with incredibly high sales, like Saint Young Men, Gin no Saji, Assassination Classroom, Sakamoto Desu Ga, Kuroko no Basket, Ao no Exorcist, Terra Formars and Bleach. Besides a short peak, Magi is a bit below them, selling around 500-600k. Totally fine sales, around the same league as the series mentioned above. In terms of sales for the whole year of 2013 it even was the 4th best-selling series with around 7 million copies.

So yep, it's already plenty popular in Japan. Will it ever reach series like Naruto or Kimi Ni Todoke, or even Shingeki? I highly doubt it but if it doesn't happen there's nothing to frown about, the current sales are perfectly fine. If they get even better that would be a nice extra, but nothing we should expect.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    I would prefer Ohtaka just doing what she wants. If she thinks the series is halfway done then so be it, prolonging something forcefully usually doesn't turn out good. Over 400 chapters already is a very long run, not everything has to be a Naruto, One Piece or Bleach. Let it be a good run and a satisfying ending and I'm totally fine with whenever Ohtaka wants to finish Magi.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast