Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: will magi be one of the "big three" when naruto and bleach are over?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member headless nick's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: will magi be one of the "big three" when naruto and bleach are over?

personally my big three (not wsj wise) right now is one piece , hunter x hunter and magi . and its been this way since ...2011 i guess ... now its 14 and magi is in top 4 best selling manga of 2013 . and it really feels great .

i understand not every manga is lucky enough to get adaptations like hxh 2011 , but i think magi as a manga would have been far more popular if the anime adaptation clicked properly . season 2 is doing somewhat okey (not at all justice to this awesome manga) ...but i can never forgive s1 for skipping so much material and messing up characters and story ... i think anime adaptations are very crucial for the promotion of a manga ...

but i can definitely see this manga already doing much better job than some mainstream series as per the story and structure of arc goes ... it SHOULD BE one of big three ... but i wont want it to do pointless fan service and shitting to be more popular , its great the way it is now ... just be patient and bring out some well thought out epic arcs ohtaka sensei ... if it runs long enough it is bound to gain fame, like one piece did after many years... i believe in it and its that much of a good series with great potential.
    Last edited by headless nick; January 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

WAIT.

What if there's this other "Big Three"? The top 3 Shounen Mangas... umm per year? An overall ranking with all the current running shounen mangas?... If there's such as this, then Magi will definitely on top of my list. I don't care for the WSJ big threes since I haven't /don't read Naruto, Bleach and OP, but I definitely love OP anime. SO there it is. Other may say that Magi is not in line for the next Big three because of the different serialization, but I daresay compared to other well-known shounen manga that are still running, Magi is on top

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i guess a better way to ask the question would be

"Would you consider magi one of the three most popular manga"

And leave the serialization part off of the question sice it complicates things

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REN KOUEN View Post
    Well i guess a better way to ask the question would be

"Would you consider magi one of the three most popular manga"

And leave the serialization part off of the question sice it complicates things
    That was actually what I thought when I saw this thread

Of course most of us here would consider Magi as one of the top three

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    That was actually what I thought when I saw this thread

Of course most of us here would consider Magi as one of the top three
    well i have no idea where it ranks in overall popularity when compared to other titles

or if there is even an accurate metric to gauge such a statistic

but to me i rank the manga right behind one piece right now, as my second favorite

and if you know how much i love bleach naruto and fairy tail, that is saying alot

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sakura Saluja's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

It'd certainly deserve it ^^ it's such a great manga/anime!

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i think magi is a great manga but when naruto goes away, magi will have others as fairy tail and toriko(it's picking uo so fast),one piece got alot more aventures and arcs, it can last for more years and still be so popular while bleach had rich a point that there isn't great arcs and fairy tail is picking up...
    naruto was/is a great manga but so many asspull and contradiccions lately but i don't see so much story left unless, the media/manga bussiness wants to gain more money and prolong naruto..
    i like magi, i think these coming arcs will be even better than the previous ones..
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member 0Yun0's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we still have One Piece and Hunter x Hunter ahead of Magi and I believe they will be for a long time. One Piece still have ways to go and....well, hiatus x hiatus hunter x hunter is still in the hiatus island but once it starts again it will be on top 3 without a doubt. And let's not forget Shingeki no Kyojin.

That said, I believe that Magi can be in third place. I don't remember if Fairy Tail or Bleach managed to be in top 3 last time.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sakura Saluja's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm well I also think HxH is being really popular these days...got recently addicted to it and it's pretty cool and even tho I still gotta start with OP and Bleach, FT and such are awesome, I think Magi could even surpass Bleach and FT at least (well just maybe). The truth is I'm really amazed with that series I didn't think it'd be so nice :33

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EMS View Post
    i think magi is a great manga but when naruto goes away, magi will have others as fairy tail and toriko(it's picking uo so fast),one piece got alot more aventures and arcs, it can last for more years and still be so popular while bleach had rich a point that there isn't great arcs and fairy tail is picking up...
    naruto was/is a great manga but so many asspull and contradiccions lately but i don't see so much story left unless, the media/manga bussiness wants to gain more money and prolong naruto..
    i like magi, i think these coming arcs will be even better than the previous ones..
    Magi right now is approaching the level of epicness of early bleach and naruto

its THAT good

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Magi more popular than Fairy Tail in Japan now?
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ryuusu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    Isn't Magi more popular than Fairy Tail in Japan now?
    Last year Magi copies were sold at almost double the amount than Fairy Tail, so I'd say yes it's getting pretty popular now ))

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...sales-in-japan

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuusu View Post
    Last year Magi copies were sold at almost double the amount than Fairy Tail, so I'd say yes it's getting pretty popular now ))

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...sales-in-japan
    Not only FT, it even tops Naruto and HXH!!!
    Hurrah for Magi!! This proves that Magi is slowly making its name and is on the right track. Now if only Magi anime's quality would be as beautiful as KnB and SnK's quality, then I'm sure Magi would be lined to one of the top animes of all time

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member 0Yun0's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    Not only FT, it even tops Naruto and HXH!!!
    But HxH was still on hiatus back in 2013. I mean, It is on hiatus since the beginning of 2012 orz . I guess the fact that a series can be on top 10 without new chapters being published for years is something to be amazed. Unless that Kurapika one-shot was included in the sales of the series as a whole?

So yeah, I still think that Magi can't beat HxH in sales, unfortunately. But it can beat Bleach and Fairy tail without a doubt.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't read HxH, but I have to give it immense credit for somehow remaining crazily popular despite it's horrific release schedule and the bad perception of the author by fans who think he doesn't care at this point. I think the anime is what keeps it popular though. But comparing Magi sales to HxH is not really important, the fact is that it was second at that time only to One Piece which is downright unstoppable, and it wasn't as if Magi was just a bit more popular in sales. I personally don't care if it's in the top two anyway, by now it has enough of a fanbase to keep going until the author decides to end it so it will likely remain at the top at least unless we keep getting new gems like All You Need is Kill that will probably do pretty well too in sales.

But anyway, lets not get caught up in wanting Magi to become a new member of the "big three", because all that matters is that it's safe and we love it. Besides, Magi isn't like the big three, it has an amazing story that really makes you think about ethical things but it does so in a very grand way that relates to the story as a whole unlike a manga like Bleach that keeps introducing incredibly preachy philosophy that only relates to individual characters.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast