Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most moronic laws

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most moronic laws

I'm all for it because I hate seeing people drop the ashes out the window when driving. I also vividly remember the two black ladies smoking/their car smelling strongly of cigarette smoke and seeing the kid in the back, and regretting giving them money.

Yet, I believe in freedom. :\

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sakura Saluja's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

In my city they banned smoking in public as well. I didn't really care, but I must admit that since I don't smoke but have friends who do it its rather btohering feeling the smoke right next your nose moreover if u know what health probs u can have because of tabaco smoke :/ .

But by freedom, what do u mean exactly?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he meant proprietorship. Nevertheless, even if that will be the case, I don't think people can do whatever they want just because they own a car.

I can compare this with owning a house. Although you own the house, you can't really infringe on other people rights by playing hard music and making a lot of noise. The whole thing will end up with the police at your door.

I do too believe in freedom. However freedom is not absolute. If you want to have absolute freedom you should live alone on Mars. But even then you won't be free.
    "Take off your mask
    And you will see
    The freak in you
    The freak in me!
    "

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.. I also believe in freedom, I mean, everyone should be able to say what they themselves can do or not. But for me it'd be more important to just respect others. Also the laws should be based just in "justice". I firmly believe on what they say "an eye for an eye" (dunno if that's exactly right :/ ) it would be a little difficult to decide in some cases tho

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Saluja View Post
    Well.. I also believe in freedom, I mean, everyone should be able to say what they themselves can do or not. But for me it'd be more important to just respect others. Also the laws should be based just in "justice". I firmly believe on what they say "an eye for an eye" (dunno if that's exactly right :/ ) it would be a little difficult to decide in some cases tho
    I think as Gandhi said, "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." (Also, how do you even get that kind of "justice" for a smoker lighting up in his/her car when no one else is around?) That said, I'm open to arguments as to why encroaching on the "freedom" to smoke inside one's car is needed when children aren't involved (especially since you can't stop them from smoking in a house/apartment where kids live).

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahah you are right in that -.-' that's why I said it can be a little difficult sometimes. Mmm well.. If someone smokes at home and they got children iI think it's their choice, after all they're their children. But I wouldn't want them to smoke in front of my child neither . However you are right: If they don't care, it's difficult to make them stop. It's true you couldn't force them to stop smoking neither.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

In my city they banned smoking in public as well. I didn't really care, but I must admit that since I don't smoke but have friends who do it its rather btohering feeling the smoke right next your nose moreover if u know what health probs u can have because of tabaco smoke :/ .

But by freedom, what do u mean exactly?
    People should have the freedom to smoke in their car or do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt others.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Personally, I think US should get rid of the minimum age for buying tobacco products or at least, lower it to 16. I'm annoyed at people without ID asking for Black and Mild or some sort of smokes without ID. And to be honest, I couldn't care less if they're giving themselves cancer, their problem. If you were really old enough, why wouldn't you carry an ID anyway? Luckily they weren't able to convince anyone to buy them Black and Mild.

One law that would definitely not be moronic is banning old toads who can't drive from driving. They cut too much and/or drive slow. I was driving, and this old guy made a left turn onto my lane, and I got pissed so I passed him illegally and cut him off. Not only that, but I see a lot of old people making right turns even though the car they cut off is quite close.

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:

One law that would definitely not be moronic is banning old toads who can't drive from driving. They cut too much and/or drive slow. I was driving, and this old guy made a left turn onto my lane, and I got pissed so I passed him illegally and cut him off. Not only that, but I see a lot of old people making right turns even though the car they cut off is quite close.
    I agree. It's not just that they drive slowler than the rest of the ppl, they could make traffic accidents to appear more often or more easily too. I think u once come to an age when there are many things u can no longer do, due to the age.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure of what exactly banning smoking inside cars entails... To begin with I would think kids being in the car is a secondary issue. If that was a problem then banning smoking in the vicinity of children would be the more coherent approach. I would think that the approach here should be to ban smoking while driving. Unless people just kinda stay in the cars to smoke while not driving... I feel like I am missing something here.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you consider the space, when compared to let's say a house or a restaurant/pub, the law makes sense, since the CO concentration of a closed and tiny space can be twice or even trice higher than that of a larger space.

But I do agree, smoking in the vicinity of children would be a more proactive approach.
    "Take off your mask
    And you will see
    The freak in you
    The freak in me!
    "

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    Well, if you consider the space, when compared to let's say a house or a restaurant/pub, the law makes sense, since the CO concentration of a closed and tiny space can be twice or even trice higher than that of a larger space.

But I do agree, smoking in the vicinity of children would be a more proactive approach.

I think that if people keep smoking even after having children, they don't care about their children's health at all (from the sanity point which I know really well unfortunately :33)

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if people keep smoking even after having children, they don't care about their children's health at all (from the sanity point which I know really well unfortunately :33)
    I don't think that is the right approach to the whole thing. Smoking causes an addiction, an actual medical condition and an actual chemical dependency. becoming an addict is a person's own fault but dropping an addiction is not as simple as simply stopping doing something even if it is a mundane one such as smoking (although it varies between people). Putting the issue like that kinda does not deal with the actual problem and twists an actual condition which can and will likely be excruciatingly difficult to control into not loving your children. People with addictions don't lack feelings for others, they simply have a chemical dependency which makes every cell in their body ask for a given substance. From what I gather addictions don't even actually ever go away for that matter, you just learn to manage and live with the urges every day for the rest of your life.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the scientific point of view ^^ but as I've been teached: You can't leave an addiction unless u want. Which means that if they really want to stop smoking and they try hard they will be able to drop their addiction. I'd do that of I had children . What I mean is that, in an addiction, not everything is chimical: it also matters people's will so if they don't have the will they will keep smoking even if it kills everyone (just an example and exagerating :33)

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

So I've found a site where the dumbest laws are underlined. For the US, I've extracted this:

Quote Quote:
    Knocking stones into a public park is prohibited.
    which is actually really weird ...really?

I also found one which applies to the NL.

Quote Quote:
    Prostitution is legal but the prostitutes must pay taxes like any other business.
    Yet, it does not seem that stupid...if you ask me.
    "Take off your mask
    And you will see
    The freak in you
    The freak in me!
    "

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast