Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Why Oda, why!?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Oda, why!?

While I, like you, was waiting for the first chapter of the year of this wonderful manga made by the equally wonderful Oda, I happened to stumble across this:

Some will instantly know what this is, others will perhaps read and find out. All in all this is the introduction of Gecko Moria and there's something about it I happen to dislike very very much.

Why does Oda produce these overly sized humans?

I don't have a problem with the giants, of any kind, be it the Oars types or the half-giants. All of them are alright, but what's up with these overly sized humans? I find no reason what so ever for Oda to keep drawing them and they take away the seriousness of the situation.

Human as I am I of course have some exceptions: WB and BB, possibly because they can carry their own height. Moria on the other hand can not. I mean he's described as 692 cm tall, Kuma 689... I mean come on! And now Big Mom is on the horizon.

Anyway, I was curious to read about what you think is the or one of the most annoying thing/theme about this manga.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Oda, why!?

Well I am sorry but the only thing that occurs in my mind after reading your post is: And the point of this is? Don't take it as an insult, but I don't see a reason to discuss why are some people in One Piece taller than others.

And to follow your other thing - at the bottom of your contribution - the thing I dislike in One Piece are mysteries. What do I mean? Well, we do have Revolutionary Army, Dragon and Void Century established for a long time, but we know nothing of them, or not as much as we would like to know and could know.
    And there is more of this. We don't know many stories to other characters (Supernovas). We were not introduced to Yonkou's (in person, not namely) and their power (with the exception of Whitebeard - he was ill though and a glimpse of Shanks's power). And there is more! But all of this could be summed up as nothing more but desire and impatience. Not to forget StrawHats crew's real power after TS and so on.
    Last edited by llaubacher; January 11, 2014 at 06:24 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it's not just for kicks. Maybe those differences in sizes are something that happens naturally in a world with so many different sub-races.

Of course, I'm not talking about interspecies boning, but genetic mutations. And if someone wants to say I'm being too scientific for One Piece, please read the Punk Hazard arc more carefully.

That void century probably hold a lot of secrets about the history of OP world, but it's evident there was a civilization who was technologically and scientifically advanced.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by llaubacher View Post
    Well I am sorry but the only thing that occurs in my mind after reading your post is: And the point of this is? Don't take it as an insult, but I don't see a reason to discuss why are some people in One Piece taller than others.
    It wasn't a point of discussion it was just an introduction to my question, I dislike the overly sized humans, what do you dislike? And you answered with the mysteries
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Greta's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I have already stumbled across a similar question once reading SBS and Oda answered something like it tries to represent their greatness or strengh (just in some cases like Whitebeard in my opinion) or something else, however I may remember wrong.

As for me when I started reading OP i didn't like those wierd humans either, but now I don't mind them anymore, I kind of understand what Oda is trying to do there, showing how different humans can be.
    Last edited by Greta; January 11, 2014 at 07:00 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe because it's a fictional story and in the realm of fantasy, Oda is creating an imaginary world that's not 100% accurate to the real world. There is no such thing a "devil fruits", but there are "fruits" in general.

Why is there soldiers who can wield the elements of wind, fire, water and air...?. It's all Oda's imagination and doesn't have to apply to anything realistic. You want common sense and accuracy, read a history book.

This is One Piece.

"I did battle with ignorance today and ignorance won".

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont really have anything annoying about one piece. I just have a question though. Why is the treasure called one piece? Shouldnt it be rogers treasure cause, well he found it.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    Because it's a legend that come for far more before Rogers' age.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

For the size of many characters, i think it s just a way to impress people but it could be the devil fruits who change the aspect of the user, like explains Alvida when she got the Sube Sube no Mi. All the giant have one: Amirals / Shichibukai etc. Plus Moria has many details other than the size like hornes / ears (the entire head) that disturb me more.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well just look at whitebeard....

hes massive but not a giant, one thing is certain in oda's universe

there are no rules, anything is possible

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MrCristian's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, in Moria's case he was taller to begin with, but then he ate the shadows and grew bigger. It was his ability.

+ size does not matter, in therms of strength.
    Last edited by MrCristian; January 13, 2014 at 02:07 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The diversity in human is already a lot. A genetically short woman can stand next to a basketball player, that different is already quite a lot. Much less the extreme case of the tallest man in the world standing next to the shortest man in the world.

But this is a fantasy, which meant Oda can push that boundary within the species even further.

However, I did have a problem at first consider how tall the admirals are compare to say Boa Hancock/Crocodile. But not really anymore, it does gave some sort of intimidating perception with height. Like Kuma towering over the strawhats.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply