Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Second Time Skip in New World

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member KuroKarasu's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Second Time Skip in New World

Hey guys!

As the title suggests I would like to discuss about a possible second time skip in One Piece. I'm not talking about a "10 years later" at the end of the manga but at an actual timeskip while the story is still progressing.

Here is why I think it is possible:
    - Luffy isn't strong enough to beat Akainu/Blackbeard
    - Powerups don't come that quickly and easily after training for 2 years
    - The Strawhat Pirates in general are faaaaaar weaker than a Yonkou Group (looking at Usopp/Nami/Chopper)
    - If no time passes then he would be super rookie in the New World and instantly become pirate king.

Now it doesn't necessarily have to be a TIME SKIP per se but I think that a lot of time has to pass in order for Luffy to be as strong as he should be at the end of the manga. I know that once DF is taken down things can change pretty quickly. If the 30% plan of Law succeeds then Kaidou will be out of the way relatively soon. But still. Even with Kaidou gone and the remaining Yonkou battling for territory and maybe another war (WB vs. Revolutionaries for example) Luffy would still have to be stronger than I can see him becoming soon. He has to atleast be strong enough to beat Blackbeard and Akainu 1on1 since those are the battles that will most likely happen.

What do you guys think?

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ikahel's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Second Time Skip in New World

How you can say how Luffy is strong if he didn't have any strong opponent after timer skip? He had problems with Hody only because he is weak in the sea. Caesar was the same, he just used that trick with removing oxygen from the air and that was a problem for Luffy.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not until the en...

Quote Originally Posted by KuroKarasu View Post
    I'm not talking about a "10 years later" at the end of the manga
    Oh...well okay then...I honestly doubt it. The Strawhats evolved rather quickly during the first part and I don't see that stopping now that they're stronger. Can they face Admirals and the Yonkou as they are now? Of course not, but they should be able to grow in strength without the aid of another timeskip. They can get stronger through fighting as they did before.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there will be a decade between now and when they set foot on Raftel.

...For us readers, that is
    Story-wise there wouldn't be much sense in another "training" time skip, as the Straw Hats have already learned from the top mentors in their respective areas of expertise. What may happen however, is that they begin to spend weeks or months, not days, on islands. But I don't see Luffy spend years to set up a network like DD or the yonkou. Not such as he is now, anyway. Right now, he feels like a man who will pass through fire and steel across the yonkous' territories and brave all the perils in the world to reach the end of Grand Line.
    Last edited by Seafarer; January 16, 2014 at 03:46 PM.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I could actually buy Luffy getting so many allies that he is the "most powerful man in the world". But to me personally he would have to be the strongest in single combat power aswell to deserve the title "pirate king". And I don't see him surpassing BB in a matter of months.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually the battles with admirals and the like can wait. I don't see an all out war until after Luffy is pirate king. You guys shouldn't forget once he becomes pirate king it's the beginning of change for the world and the end all war is coming. It comes into question if the crew will engage in the war instantly or take a five year hiatus for whatever purpose and I think it would be preparation with luffys allies across the world and readying them with the revolutionaries for the war. I don't see after a year Luffy unable to beat any yonkou or foe. He will probably be the youngest pirate and king. It comes into place what well see this will be the first year we see how strong the crew is. I don't think well see them pushing their hardest enies lobby style until they fight a yonkou though. They have the potential.
    Mr. Wonderland
    Psn: verbalinter39

myanimelist.net/Ishmael

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To put things in perspective, Luffy started as a pirate from nothing with no crew in the weakest of the four blues, beating Alvida... went on to defeat an underground organization (Baroque Works) and a shichibukai almost as soon as he entered the grand line and ended up declaring war on the world government, burned down the judiciary island and was able to be the 1st in history to successfully break in and out of Impel Down and finally save Ace during the "war of the best" getting out in one piece.... all before the time skip where he trained under Silvers Rayleigh (former pirate king's #1).

After the time skip, he has entered the new world starting out declaring war on a yonkou (Big Mom) and picking a fight with the most serious underworld broker (Doflamingo) with ties to the world government.

Considering the growth and progression before the time skip, I don't think another one is required to see Luffy and the rest of the strawhats become capable of getting past all of those who will be in their way before they reach Raftel.... There isn't even a certainty how soon Luffy will have to face admirals and/or Yonkou personally and how and when they will come after the strawhats.

Still.... anything's possible with Oda .

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

If the relative growth of the SHs in the New World is comparable to their growth prior to the timeskip they shouldn't need another break. In fact, if it's comparable the SHs would probably wreck everyone. I expect their growth to be less rapid than in the first part of the manga, we've gone through two arcs already and the SHs haven't faced much of a challenge, in fact in both of the prior two arcs they were clearly superior to their opponents. And if it weren't for the intervention by the Marines, I doubt they, along with Law, would have too much trouble with DD's crew.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally see that happening before they enter the final part of Grand Line. And I'm pretty sure that Raftel is hard to locate or something like that. The route could be very dangerous and the SHs may need to powerup before they take it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Depravity's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's little need for one. Not only will natural progression (if it matches the first part, or even comes close) prove sufficient by the end of the series, having another time-skip would be a tremendous cop-out; Oda has heretofore (aside from the necessary TS) always had the SHs overcome adversity and grow stronger via pushing themselves to the brink in battle. They fight other, seemingly more powerful opponents, and somehow manage to come out on top, making themselves more powerful in the process. Writing ANOTHER time-skip would negate this flow of progression, and screams laziness on Oda's part for not consistently doing what he's been doing for the last 15 years. I'd like to see them conquer hell rather than skip through it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt so. The time-skip gave Luffy the basis which he can evolve his power to match the strongest in the world. Compare to the beggining of the manga, the opponents he fought in East Blue compared to the Grand Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

There might be another time skip. After a very very looooong time.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole interesting point in Part 1 was that Luffy was beating people that seemed unbeatable.
    Honestly, I just hate it when characters are too strong and can beat everyone too easily, so I'm fine with Luffy's current strenght.

He's way above average, being able to easily defeat everyone that were in the coliseum (which are supposed to be the best of the best of the surrounding countries).

So, I doubt he's as weak as you think he is.
    Same thing for the other members of the crew...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    The whole interesting point in Part 1 was that Luffy was beating people that seemed unbeatable.
    Honestly, I just hate it when characters are too strong and can beat everyone too easily, so I'm fine with Luffy's current strenght.

He's way above average, being able to easily defeat everyone that were in the coliseum (which are supposed to be the best of the best of the surrounding countries).

So, I doubt he's as weak as you think he is.
    Same thing for the other members of the crew...
    I'm not implying that Luffy is weak. I'm not even sure if there will be another timeskip myself. I just thought this is a topic worth discussing. I just said that personally I feel like between the current Luffy and a Yonkou there is more of a gap than there was between Luffy/Lucci or Luffy/Crocodile. I think he can beat Doflamingo by going all out. But not a Yonkou. And if we think about it then there isn't THAT still to happen in order for Luffy to fight a Yonkou.

So I wondered: How will Oda do it? Another timeskip? A Strawhat training session? Or am I underestimating Luffy or overestimating Yonkou? I don't know.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuroKarasu View Post
    Hey guys!

As the title suggests I would like to discuss about a possible second time skip in One Piece. I'm not talking about a "10 years later" at the end of the manga but at an actual timeskip while the story is still progressing.

Here is why I think it is possible:
    - Luffy isn't strong enough to beat Akainu/Blackbeard
    - Powerups don't come that quickly and easily after training for 2 years
    - The Strawhat Pirates in general are faaaaaar weaker than a Yonkou Group (looking at Usopp/Nami/Chopper)
    - If no time passes then he would be super rookie in the New World and instantly become pirate king.

Now it doesn't necessarily have to be a TIME SKIP per se but I think that a lot of time has to pass in order for Luffy to be as strong as he should be at the end of the manga. I know that once DF is taken down things can change pretty quickly. If the 30% plan of Law succeeds then Kaidou will be out of the way relatively soon. But still. Even with Kaidou gone and the remaining Yonkou battling for territory and maybe another war (WB vs. Revolutionaries for example) Luffy would still have to be stronger than I can see him becoming soon. He has to atleast be strong enough to beat Blackbeard and Akainu 1on1 since those are the battles that will most likely happen.

What do you guys think?

I think you should wait until this arc ends and see the extent of the strawhats strength before claiming what they are capable of. Your opinions are like the opinions of the random people in the one piece story who always say to luffy YOU CANT DO THAT, thats crazy etc.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast