Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shichibukai Disbanding Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Shichibukai Disbanding Thread

What are the odds of them actually finding a shichibukai who wouldn't screw them over at a whim though? Shichibukai are not normal people waiting for an opportunity to get the marines of their asses, they are all by definition sociopaths with great individual power who dream of becoming super sociopath criminals (AKA pirate king). Seriously, the norm for pirates is not wanting to be rich or powerful, they want to specifically be the king of criminals. The world government as far as they are concerned is in the way and at worst the competition... Pirates who would qualify to be shichibukai will invariably be unpredictable uncontrollable wild cards who would turn against the government at a whim because you can't plausibly be considered for a position without being like that to begin with. So far the shichibukai who have not abused their title to rise to power are buggy, mihawk, hancock and jinbe. Still, jinbe dropped the title when it was convenient, hancock cannot be controlled by anyone and she literally does place any degree of value in her title, and quite frankly the only reason buggy is alive today is because he was made into a shichibukai. So buggy is perhaps not far from being something like crocodile, moria or doflamingo in the future. In essence his title has allowed him to avoid problems from the marines, maintain his not so weak crew and perhaps even grow in strength from what it would have been otherwise. Realistically speaking buggy's army of pirates should even be envied by a yonko and the world government is allowing it to fester right under their noses. In what scenario is this not going to bite them in the ass? The shichibukai system is flawed indeed because the shichibukai have no sense of duty and loyalty to the government, true, but there isn't a chance in hell of them getting someone with a shred of a sense of duty to begin with.
    Last edited by Josef K.; January 25, 2014 at 02:06 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shichibukai Disbanding Thread

I agree with a lot of what you are saying about other Shichibukai but I don't see why you are including Moria in the rogue Shichibukai group. Moria is perhaps the only Shichibukai besides Mihawk that was doing exactly what the WG wanted him to do, which was to stop pirates from getting into the New World, and discourage people from wanting to be pirates. Moria captured a bunch of pirate crews and gave credibility to the rumors of strange disappearances in the Florian Triangle, I don't see how his actions can be considered 'rogue' when the WG sent another Shichibukai to help back him up, obviously the WG approved of his actions or they would have sent Kuma to kill Moria instead sending him to support him. I don't think the WG considered Moria a 'bad' Shichibukai, just a weak one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXan View Post
    PS. To bad you are not 4 years older and living in my country as i would love to exchange ideas over a drink :P
    Tell the emperor that my hall has fallen to the ground. Phoibos no longer has his house, nor his mantic bay, nor his prophetic spring; the water has dried up.- Pythia of Delphi

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I say moria was rogue because he did well more than just stop pirates. Even if he did stop pirates he only did so because he was profiting from it and he didn't only capture pirates but also marines and civilians. And still, what he was doing was in essence the same as other shichibukai did, he was one way or another gathering power in hopes of having his own claim at being PK. He didn't really honor his title or had a sense of duty to the world government, he was just gathering his forces in secret in hopes of having another shot at PK. Was the world government even aware that moria was behind hundreds of kidnappings and that he was building a not so small zombie army? I have my doubts about that one. I would think the WG would have an issue with moria making something like oz with the express intent of using it to become PK.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I say moria was rogue because he did well more than just stop pirates. Even if he did stop pirates he only did so because he was profiting from it and he didn't only capture pirates but also marines and civilians. And still, what he was doing was in essence the same as other shichibukai did, he was one way or another gathering power in hopes of having his own claim at being PK. He didn't really honor his title or had a sense of duty to the world government, he was just gathering his forces in secret in hopes of having another shot at PK. Was the world government even aware that moria was behind hundreds of kidnappings and that he was building a not so small zombie army? I have my doubts about that one. I would think the WG would have an issue with moria making something like oz with the express intent of using it to become PK.
    There is no honor to the Shichibukai title. The Government has demonstrated that they do not care what the Shichibukai do as long as they honor their alliance. Moria was only rogue after he lost. The World Government wanted to spare themselves the embarrassment of a second Shichibukai losing to the same rookie. Kuma was initially sent to Thriller Bark only as a messenger, to inform Moria that Blackbeard had been chosen as Crocodile's replacement. Kuma was not ordered to attack until after Moria lost. His orders were to rescue Moria, and to silence anyone who witnessed his defeat. They did not care about his activities in the Florian Triangle. Doflamingo was given orders to kill him after the war because he was considered too weak to remain a Shichibukai.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tonix View Post
    Moria is perhaps the only Shichibukai besides Mihawk that was doing exactly what the WG wanted him to do, which was to stop pirates from getting into the New World, and discourage people from wanting to be pirates.
    Kuma is the only Shichibukai considered truly loyal to the World Government. Preventing pirates from entering the New World has never been mentioned as one of their duties. The only specific duty ever mentioned is that they are required to fight as allies when the World Government orders them to, like at Marineford. Otherwise only vague generalities have been mentioned, like "liberating islands", guarding nations, and "keeping other pirates in check".

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think that disbanding the Shichi is the best idea. They're useless anyway and just a super liability for the whole world when they are allowed to do what they want just because of their title. They are strong aight and that's why when they make their move you can be sure storm brews and will fall down upon the innocent throughout the world. The government think that they can counterbalance the powers, but that is imposible, how can you expect something from a group that would slit each others' throat in heartbeat if given the chance and won't follow any, "any" order. If they move for the government which is already miraculous in itself is always fishy they always have an ulterior motive for their own gain. Fujitora indeed can see thing clearly than those with sights... ^__^

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member StrawHat 13's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that thought the Marines would do away with the Shichibukai system and replace them with pacifista? I mean no one Shichibukai can be replaced by a single pacifista but if you had an army of them that would be a pretty formidable force.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If u look at it, five of the shichibukai are already involved with either shanks, dragon, or the strawhats. Tbey really are not loyal to the WG

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting topic, but this stems from something a lot of people seem to be forgetting. Let's check facts first:
    The seas were rough already as they were, then Roger roamed free and created the pirate age by talking about One Piece.
    Thus, the pirate problem became too big to handle for WG alone, and to balance the power against the yonkous but also to stop the ever rising number or pirates, we have the shichibukai.
    So far i think we can all agree.

Now, I don't think WG is stupid enough to ally themselves with their enemy and blindly believe all is good. I'd like to point out that we don't even know what exactly that partnership entails for either side, all we know is this pirates are given a lot of freedom, chase pirates and, during the war, had to fight alongside the marines.
    That freedom does have some limits, like trying to take down a country, or allying yourself with a non-WG sanctioned pirate... but that doesn't mean they blindly take orders from WG, as we saw when Kuma talked to Kizaru, as well as Kuma going to help Moria, who kindly refused (why not send marines instead? my guess is if WG did that, those marines would end up as zombies, as WG is not to medle into a Shichibukai's affairs, as Law pointed out in Punk Hazard)

So are they really in breach of their agreement with the WG? We can assume they won't really respect the rules unless it suits them really well, but it doesn't seem like it, even if we fringe on that limit.

Now, let's consider a new problem. The age of pirates started with Roger's talking about One Piece did cause major problems for WG. Now, this problem only deteriorated since we have the worst generation wreaking havoc, and WB blurted out on public den den mushi that One Piece exists. We know WG had their hands so full they had to switch their main base to the New World. This means even with new troops such as Fujitora, they have too much on their plate to deal with everything, and Shichibukais thinning out the herd of new pirates is worth as much as it was when they created that title, even more so.

Also why did they (or as DD said, higher, probably meaning the Tenryuubito) get rid of Moria for being useless, when they don't dismiss Hancock who was detrimental to their army during the war? Was it his loss against Luffy? I don't believe that's all there is to it, since that fight did not break news, Moria was still a sort of tough guy by normal standards (we're used to stronger people now, but that doesn't mean he is not), still instilling fear in common pirates, with his reputation untarnished.

So yeah, as the OP pointed out, they abuse their position as Shichibukai, not having the marines chasing them, to actually scheme and do arguably worse than they could have done otherwise. But for now, i don't think WG can consider getting rid of them, and they have to be able to fully adress the yonkou situation first. This was not the case and it will likely become worse now that Luffy is loose again

Think of Shichibukai as necessary evil, that should be kept under check, but cannot be for two reasons: first, they are pirates and will somehow always elude surveillance, and second they would never agree to cooperate with WG under such conditions. And when they do breach their agreement, WG will try to do something about it, if they can (going against BB after he absorbed WB's fruit would have ended in total destruction so they couldn't, they did go after Jimbei, and they cannot touch DD). They did also chase BB before he got too big to handle by becoming yonkou.

My guess is WB choses to kind of trust these guys just a little, in hope they don't get too much screwed in the end, like with Mihawk, whose partnership looks likely to be more profitable to WG than less, him training Zoro or not. Of course in the end it has to work in favor of our heroes, but we're far from it yet and in that world every character thinks they are the hero, they don't know like us that Luffy is

I could paraphrase stuff that's already been said previously but to what effect if it doesn't bring any new point to this debate. Considering all this, of course we as readers know the Shichibukai are pretty bad news even for WG, but WG has to be at least a little bit aware of it, and chosing to deal with the best of bad situations, and in light of that of course it has to be beneficial to them or at least appear so. I mean, why would they ally themselves to bloody pirates unless it somehow gives them some advantage, for which they are willing to pay such price? There are likely stupid spoiled Tenryuubito like the ones we saw in Shaobondy, but the ones pulling the real strings look more than capable of grasping the situation (you know the ones we saw only once a long time ago, and maybe talking to DD, so we know nothing about them and their motives)

Talking about said motives, it seems tied to the revolutionary army and the true history which Robin is trying to uncover (and likely, Roger's crew knew about) and it looks like staying in control of the world population and beliefs is a good enough tradeoff for letting these pirates roam free, at least for now and until we get more info about all this. I mean between the risk of loosing some power or all of your power, which would a power hungry guy chose?

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3