Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Best New Seinen?

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Best New Seinen?

This is a thread to discuss and suggest and bring up series that are seinens that have recently been picked up in the magazines, and some that have recently been scanned.

This is not only about the recent year, 2013, just as long as it's something totally not old .. but please try to keep the thread FRESH with new series so we know what new seinens have there been recently that we missed and so that all can enjoy.

Discuss my fellows. o/

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best New Seinens?

I think One Punch Man does not need any mentioning

Chang Ge Xing
    It is an engaging revenge story, beautifully drawn. New chapters are coming out frequently, released by Easy Going Scans.

Gunka no Baltzar
    An intelligent, military and politics manga that plays in a world inspired by late 19th century in Europe.

GATE - JIETAI KARE NO CHI NITE, KAKU TATAKERI
    Pretty generic fantasy set up but the execution is nearly flawless, plays around with usual Otaku stereotypes in a rather funny way

Boku dake ga Inai Machi
    Interesting mystery story

Majime na Jikan
    A touching story about a girl who dies and sees the reaction of the people close to her

Other interesting titles are Hito Hitori Futari, About Death, Ajin, Golondrina and Yokokuhan
    Last edited by MiyamotoMusashi; January 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread!

Spoiler show

1. Abnormal-kei Joshi - Very mature. Dark tone. Lacks comedy relief. Not your typical harem based school life comic.

2. Maou na Ano Ko to Murabito A - Similar to a slapstick comedy, likable side characters, and school life fantasy setting.

3. Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka - Relatively new. Bears similar characteristics to comics like TOG or SAO as far as ascending or descending levels to get stronger or pursue your goals. Possesses the potential to become a great comic IMO.

4. Hantsu x Torasshu - Smut valley! Lots of ecchi and comedy! Borderline hentai. Interesting mix of sports and young teenagers trying to lose their virginity.

5. Aiki-S - If you read the first series, then you know what to expect!

I would list more, but I'm feeling lazy right now I'll put more up in the future.
    Last edited by BASED Shinigami; January 19, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hamatora is probably my favorite one for best new ones.
    Team Haikyu! | Team Stealth Symphony | Stealth Symphony Support Group

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Paperakyu, one of the better new series, sad no more scans, there are over 30 chaps now. :/

Gigantomakhia, not as impressive as Miura's other work, still new to consider.

Track new series here: http://www.mangaupdates.com/whatsnew...anga&year=2013

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

A new favorite of mine is Innocent, by the same mangaka as Kokou no Hito. It's 3 volumes and ongoing in Young Jump. The art is flawless.
    Last edited by MattC302; January 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best New Seinen?

I haven't started a new series in a while; I've been kind of looking into some alternative comics that don't come from Japan to fill the void.
    It's like there aren't a lot of interesting new seinen being released these days... Or maybe it's just me?

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    I haven't started a new series in a while; I've been kind of looking into some alternative comics that don't come from Japan to fill the void.
    It's like there aren't a lot of interesting new seinen being released these days... Or maybe it's just me?
    I settle for finding some old hidden gems that I missed. I do not know, but it seems alternative seinen really is not popular, or was it ever? Most of the new stuff is not that much random, nor does it contain a narrative that is hard to swallow, usually new seinens are dictated to what is popular with seinen now, then again seinen as such seem to be less "new", the most new series I see are form shounen, maybe it's because of the diverse age groups?

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very interested with Innocent, probably one of the most visually stunning and greatest "new" Seinen I've read in a while. I've been also reading Knights of Sidonia as well, it's not really that great, but still worth to be mentioned nonetheless.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I've been also reading Knights of Sidonia as well, it's not really that great, but still worth to be mentioned nonetheless.
    How far are you in? I stared following Vertical's English release last year, and though I had some problems with the first volume, basically every issue I had was resolved with volumes 2 and 3. Now I've finished up to volume 7 and this is one of my most anticipated series I follow. It is easily Nihei's most coherent story too.

New Reply