Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2003

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 101nemesis's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Nensense View Post
    As much as I want Kingdom, its too far ahead to be put in ESJ. Terra Formars, maybe.
    I think All You Need is Kill is a short manga. But having it there, would be sort of a promotion type thing for the movie, I suppose.
    Again, KnB is too far ahead also.
    JoJo, they would probably need to translate other parts also.

I do like the idea though. I feel manga like Kingdom need the exposure to grow even more.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 101nemesis View Post
    I do like the idea though. I feel manga like Kingdom need the exposure to grow even more.
    But, the question is whether the western teenagers are going to be interested in the chinese history or not.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eru13's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    But, the question is whether the western teenagers are going to be interested in the chinese history or not.
    I think this applies for pretty much any series to be added to ESJ, I mean, we could all be considered pretty hardcore manga fans just because we're here (at least by "normal" standards"), and if there's something wrong with most of us is that we're not going to pay for manga online because there weren't any legal/paid options for reading manga when we started reading, now, from ESJ's perspective, they want to get as much new fans as possible, because those won't necessarily be like us, and if you want to get new western fans you need series that appeal to them, and well, as you said, I don't really think most western teens would be really interested in Japanese or Chinese history among many other settings for the series peviously discussed here

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Why could a series have too many chapters? Its not like the general reader has a knowledge how many chapters are out in japan and why does it matter? They would have contents for years even after it get axed if the demand is high. Especially physical copies were translated after the series proofed successful in japan. The main problem would rather be the setting than the amount of chapters.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Why could a series have too many chapters? Its not like the general reader has a knowledge how many chapters are out in japan and why does it matter? They would have contents for years even after it get axed if the demand is high. Especially physical copies were translated after the series proofed successful in japan. The main problem would rather be the setting than the amount of chapters.
    If they license a series for their day-and-date weekly anthology, and to understand THE FIRST CHAPTER they put in there requires having read the previous 30 or so volumes of any given title, then that's not a good idea. Poor reader accessibility. And unless its a series you're confident in the western sales of, those 30 or so volumes can be a notable loss for the publisher. So... yeah no, the amount of chapters is totally an issue when it comes to expanding their digital magazine.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy Barnard View Post
    If they license a series for their day-and-date weekly anthology, and to understand THE FIRST CHAPTER they put in there requires having read the previous 30 or so volumes of any given title, then that's not a good idea. Poor reader accessibility. And unless its a series you're confident in the western sales of, those 30 or so volumes can be a notable loss for the publisher. So... yeah no, the amount of chapters is totally an issue when it comes to expanding their digital magazine.
    why do they need to put the newest chapter into their anthology? they could just begin with the first. They wouldn't handle it differently if they make a physical copy of it. Then it won't be day-and-date, but is it like this for every of their digital series?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

why do they need to put the newest chapter into their anthology? they could just begin with the first. They wouldn't handle it differently if they make a physical copy of it. Then it won't be day-and-date, but is it like this for every of their digital series?
    If we think about something that would entice readers... I think having the latest chapter is important. See what they did with Nisekoi? I suppose that's a case of something that can be dealt with because it wasn't that far ahead, but they felt it important enough to have the latest chapter of. They don't need to be playing anymore catch-up than they already are. CR is pretty much taking this tactic, and as a result, it's clear what their goal is, which is what ESJ might also be considering. Do remember that this isn't /only/ for the "general reader." There's also the reader that gets their manga from the internet elsewhere. You can't just disregard one group in favor for another. There are people that want to read the latest chapters but also want to do it officially, and ESJ can't just ignore them.
    Last edited by [Cross]; February 25, 2014 at 01:19 PM.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So now that the first chapter of Illegal Rare has been scanlated in English which means most people here have been able to read it, what do you guys think about its chances of surviving in the magazine now?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So now that the first chapter of Illegal Rare has been scanlated in English which means most people here have been able to read it, what do you guys think about its chances of surviving in the magazine now?
    Ask me again in a month or two' After all, it's only one chapter.
    That said though, while I won't comment on its survivability yet, it does seem pretty neat.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nayrael's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Too early to make a proper guess. Ask again before the first ranking in ToC (8 chapters should be enough to make a proper guess).

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Way less entertaining that Stealth Symphony, bringing nothing new to the table and feeling like ground covered by many series previously in the magazine. Feels like it will remain easily over shadowed by many other series in JUMP offering both superior fresh art styles and refreshing and enjoyable settings and storytelling.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The only series where they haven't gone with the chapters coming out that week were Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End. Both had a short enough gap between what had already been published and the latest chapter to bridge the gap quickly (Seraph is well on its way on a 2 a month release schedule, blue exorcist caught up in a matter of weeks). You can't pull that with something as long as Kingdom. Or indeed any weekly series that hits a certain length. It isn't feasible.

And they wouldn't handle it differently with physical copies? No shit, because those are volume releases, you're comparing what's possible with a 200 page a volume bimonthly release with what would be 20 pages a week. What's more if they want to catch up in volumes, either digitally or physically, that works. You release more product at its standard price, it's still available individually. They achieved this with Naruto and One Piece successfully, mostly by making sure that all the volumes released stayed in print, allowing readers to get them when they can. Now say you want to catch-up in weekly releases. First off, we're talking quantity of workload. You'dd have staff translating, twice, three times, maybe even four times the amount of material on a weekly basis to try and go from chapter 1 up to the present chapter. Inefficient and costly. Put that aside and you have size of release. Digital doesn't have a real size limit to it, but that extra 40/60/80/et cetera pages of a catch-up title being released every week would ramp up the cost of the anthology to meet the costs involved. You leave it behind forever and Jump loses a core part of its day and date marketing by just... being the old, awful US Jump that ran into the ground. being an english alternative to the weekly/monthly publishing schedules is the whole dang deal.

Tl;dr: Releasing long-form series from years behind the JP release in weekly issues doesn't work at all for int'l jump.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 101nemesis's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually enjoyed it. I liked the artwork, irrespective of how emo the MC looks, the slight dark nature in it with hunting beings to extinction, slavery. Of course, none of it is revolutionary but it was entertaining for a first chapter. Was more entertained by this first chapter than the first chapters of WT or AC. Waiting for the following chapters. Only then can you tell if a series would survive.

Got me hoping that a 2nd chapter comes out ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Way less entertaining that Stealth Symphony, bringing nothing new to the table and feeling like ground covered by many series previously in the magazine. Feels like it will remain easily over shadowed by many other series in JUMP offering both superior fresh art styles and refreshing and enjoyable settings and storytelling.
    Oh Come on, you've always had something against this series before you even read it. The same way you were in love with Stealth Symphony before it was even out. While I agree that it offers nothing new, it was still entertaining. You gotta give it that much. I know you want this to fail so that Stealth Symphony can survive but be a little more fair. Don't praise it but don't be so harsh either

14. Like 8 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of having a matchup of Stealth vs Illegal rare, how o you think such series will affect the bottom 5 or even push other series there?
    Even though new batch isn't out completely the only residents of the bottom 5 are Iron knight, Kochikame which we don't know for a certainty if it's even ranked and although I don't like saying it, Bleach.
    If 2 out of the 4 series prove good which is amazing in itself since I can't remember something like that happenning since 2004 with Reborn and DGM not to mention what happens if TWB is good as well.

Do you think either SC, WT or another series might become a bottom dweller due to this batch?

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susanoo13 View Post
    Instead of having a matchup of Stealth vs Illegal rare, how o you think such series will affect the bottom 5 or even push other series there?
    Even though new batch isn't out completely the only residents of the bottom 5 are Iron knight, Kochikame which we don't know for a certainty if it's even ranked and although I don't like saying it, Bleach.
    If 2 out of the 4 series prove good which is amazing in itself since I can't remember something like that happenning since 2004 with Reborn and DGM not to mention what happens if TWB is good as well.

Do you think either SC, WT or another series might become a bottom dweller due to this batch?
    I have a very odd feeling that Illegal Rare, iShoujo, and Stealth Symphony will all be successes to varying degrees and not be immediately cancelled.
    Iron Knight is already going to be cancelled anyways, but that puts Soul Catcher(S) in serious danger, and might put World Trigger in an uncomfortable position as well. It might also give Jump the reason they need to finally force Kubo to finish Bleach once and for all.

Thread Closed
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast