Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Fujitora, Wano Kuni, and the 7th Warlord

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Fujitora, Wano Kuni, and the 7th Warlord

Before explaining my theory, I'd like to use Kaiten's brilliant observation as a premise:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I've posted it elsewhere, but Wano Kuni is meant as a reference to Tokugawa Japan (1603 - 1868). A closed country, led by an official called the Shogun, that has successfully repulsed incursion by the outside world (World Government in One Piece, colonizing European powers in real life). Wa is an ancient name for Japan, Chinese in origin. Wano Kuni means Country of Harmony (or peace), an old name for Japan. Japan's isolation ended in 1853 when a hostile, outside power forcibly opened Japan, imposing humiliating "unequal treaties" on the Shogun. A civil war followed, between supporters of the Shogun and Emperor. The War ended in victory for the nobles loyal to the Emperor, resulting in the Meiji Restoration. Japan quickly modernized, forcing the suspension of the unequal treaties, and emergence of Japan as a major power.

My hypothesis is that Oda will follow the real history. After the War, Wano Kuni was opened by force, under humiliating terms. Based on Momo and Kin's reaction, there seems to be a connection between Kaido and Wa. What if Kaido's Smile Army was the equivalent of Commodore Perry's Black Ships? Kaido forcibly opened Wa to the outside world, imposed a treaty, claiming Wa as his territory? Kin, and his friends, are part of the resistance, loyal to the Shogun, but opposed to the foreigners. In real life that role would have been filled by the Shinsengumi.
    As we know, Oda likes to reference various real life people or events in One Piece. Wano Kuni representing the last feudal government of Japan makes perfect sense, both in the existence of samurai and a Warlord's hostile takeover.

Now, here's where the referencing and Fujitora meet. If you don't know by now, Fujitora is based on Shintaro Katsu's character, Zatoichi - the blind swordsman. Zatoichi's story was set in the late Tokugawa period (which is what Wano Kuni's history is based on). Given this, I believe Fujitora is from Wano Kuni. Now before you fly off the handle about Kinemon not recognizing him, realize that although Zatoichi became a recognized name, nobody really knew what he looked like, especially the nobles (which Kinemon could certainly be, given the hints that Momonosuke is actually the Shogun or of some royal descent). So, although Kinemon may know the name, he doesn't necessarily have to know what Fujitora looks like (Keep in mind, the names "Isshou" or "Fujitora" haven't been said in front of Kinemon). I mean, look at his garb and sandals; it all reeks of Wano Kuni.

Here's how it all ties in with the 7th Warlord:

The 7th Warlord is a samurai from Wano Kuni. I'm predicting (given Isshou's desire to abolish the Shichibukai) he's also the one who scarred and blinded Fujitora (which would explain the motivation to join the military). AND, guess who else hated samurai? Zatoichi.

Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XSTyOAMY#t=201

And here's an interesting parallel between Fujitora and another former Admiral who hated the Shichibukai, Zephyr:
    -they both are associated with the color purple
    -they both were maimed by a pirate who was later promoted to Shichibukai
    -they both wanted to bring down the Shichibukai institution
    -they both seem to have a similar idea of absolute justice

Just my little theory. Hope you enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Will Of The D; January 29, 2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added zatoichi clip

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fujitora, Wano Kuni, and the 7th Warlord

Well it could turn out that way. Recently the anime did have Momo say: One day I'll be the Shogun, so either he is the son of the Shogun and this means that Kin'emon is the Shogun, or they're pretending to be father/son.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, sounds like a sound theory, TC. Though, I think the 7th Shichibukai being from Wano may be a bit of a stretch. Everything before that though is gravy, and would be quite interesting. Isshou being a faceless, though famous swordsman would be awesome. It would be a bit similar Ryuma during his portrayal in Oda's Monster one shot.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

pretty nice theory.
    I also guess that Issho has something to do with Wano Kuni.
    Also I think Momo has some Royalblood in him, cause he wants to become Shogun or is the Shogun.
    Or maybe Kanjuro is the Shogun?

Maybe Issho is there to get Kanjuro? He heared that DD caputured him or he ordered DD to capture Kanjuro.

There is some connection between:
    Momo, Kin', Kanjuro, DD & Issho (Wano Kuni, Dressrosa, Zou)
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy's crew.

Possible new nakama IMO:
    Kin'emon / Momonosuke / Rebecca / Bellamy / Ceaser Clown / Mancherie / Leo / Wicca / Kanjuro / Bartolomeo

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarutobi_sensei View Post
    Well it could turn out that way. Recently the anime did have Momo say: One day I'll be the Shogun, so either he is the son of the Shogun and this means that Kin'emon is the Shogun, or they're pretending to be father/son.
    It could be quite more simple: Kin'emon is the father and Momonosukes mother is the princess, daughter and only child of the current Shogun. Given Kin'emons viewpoint of women, I doubt women are allowed to rule in Wa no Kuni. That's why a generation was skipped and Momonosuke is the heir of the Wano throne.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McNuss View Post
    It could be quite more simple: Kin'emon is the father and Momonosukes mother is the princess, daughter and only child of the current Shogun. Given Kin'emons viewpoint of women, I doubt women are allowed to rule in Wa no Kuni. That's why a generation was skipped and Momonosuke is the heir of the Wano throne.
    Has Oda confirmed that Shogun is hereditary in Wano? It could be a position more like Hokage.
    It could also just be a kid playing dress up. Plenty of little girls without royal blood still pretend to be princesses.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    It could also just be a kid playing dress up. Plenty of little girls without royal blood still pretend to be princesses.
    Good one.

But Momonosuke is very disciplined, I doubt he would dream of something that is impossible.

Edit: Hmm, looking at it now Momonosuke may not been serious about it.

Last edited by Josef K.; March 10, 2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: fixing image link
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

New Reply