Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece 737 Discussion /738 Prediction

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Syphin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece 737 Discussion /738 Prediction BREAK THIS WEEK

I'm really curious to see if Oda matches up Rebecca with Diamante, because there is a possibility that it was Diamante who cut/sliced off Soldier-san's left leg.

During the flashback of Rebecca and Soldier-san, it does appear that Soldier-san has both legs when helping Scarlett and Rebecca escape Diamante and his men. To me it really does look like he has his left leg in the panel I drew attention to:

Spoiler show

In the next page of that chapter we see that Soldier-san has only one leg - his right leg, and his body is quite beaten up:

Spoiler show

If Soldier-san did have two legs while holding off Diamante and his men while Scarlett and Rebecca escape, then he either lost his left leg during that scene or when he was trying to protect Scarlett when she went to get food for Rebecca.

I'm leaning more towards Soldier-san losing his left leg to Diamante as Diamante utilises a sword and can extend it/make it flutter with his Hira Hira no Mi (makes his attacks somewhat unpredictable). Diamante could also be the reason for why Soldier-san is so beaten up and why his hat is dented - a victim of Diamante's Corrida Glaive attack? =/.

This could explain why Soldier-san was unable to protect Scarlett, as he just had his left leg cut off recently and was not accustomed to using only one leg, which made it harder to protect Scarlett.

If Diamante did cut off Soldier-sans left leg, it would be quite fitting to have Soldier-san's daughter, Rebecca, take Diamante on.

Since Rebecca was introduced, Oda has been developing the story in a way which makes Rebecca more likely to win the Corrida Colosseum tournament with each chapter (her past being highlighted, making it through D Block, the design of the final battle, the introduction of the boss class fighting fish, and the Mera Mera no Mi being able to be claimed during the battle). She may not be the likely finalist to win the final Colosseum battle, but her chances have been improving/increasing with each chapter since her introduction.

Oda has also made apparent through this arc that Rebecca has several things going for her in this final Colosseum battle:
    • Her speed which no one has beaten yet;
    • Her ability to utilise the arena to her advantage;
    • Her ability to think on her feet and use other contestants abilities to her advantage (intended to use Bartolomeo's barrier ability to block Burgess's Wave Motion Elbow);
    • Her adept use of her Kenbunshoku Haki which her speed compliments so effectively;
    • Her relevance within this Dressrosa Arc i.e. her role of playing a part in helping liberate Dressrosa;
    • The status of her "Undefeated" title when read within the context of this Arc's story;
    • And the fact that she was bleeding a short while ago which will attract the boss class fighting fish to her

Rebecca doesn't have to attack anyone, all she has to do is knock the opponents into the water and with the introduction of the Boss Class Fighting Fish, Oda has introduced a massive element in which Rebecca can exploit to get other finalists knocked out of the arena.

Fighting Fish are not to be underestimated, they are ferocious creatures that Robin, Usopp and Caesar questioned whether there were really fish. Law was even afraid that he would be too exhausted (to face Doflamingo) after using his abilities if he had to hold off the fighting fish. The presence of the fighting fish were the reason for why the bridge to Green Bit hadn't been publicly used for 200 years - the bridge reinforced with iron couldn't protect those crossing the bridge on top the fighting fish being able to capsize ships. The Boss Class Fighting Fish easily damaged the metal bridge in the Colosseum.

Rebecca, being the only contestant who has displayed a flesh wound which did bleed, will most likely attract the Boss Class Fighting Fish more often than the other finalists as the Boss Class Fighting Fish are sensitive to the smell of blood. This could be why the #01 Boss Class Fighting Fish was attracted to Rebecca before any other finalist.

Since Rebecca hasn't shown herself as an offensive type of Gladiator, the Boss Class Fighting Fish charges could very well become her strongest weapon in this final Colosseum Battle (their charges will hurt the finalist if they land). Rebecca has shown herself to be extremely fast and with the addition of her Kenbunshoku Haki which compliments her speed incredibly, and her attention fully focused on dodging/being on the defense, I can see her easily dodging/evading the Boss Class Fighting Fish charges.

Rebecca now just needs to create a situation or put herself in a situation in which she can exploit the blind spots in the finalist as their attention is focused on another finalist or focused away from the move she is intending to take the finalist out with.

It would be cool to see Diamante, who is designed like a Matador type of character, face off against Rebecca who has the potential to position herself in way to send Boss Class Fighting Fish charges Diamante's way.

Going to be interesting to see how the final Colosseum battle climaxes and concludes.

2. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget chopping off Toy Soldier's leg. They should say that Diamente was the one who killed Rebecca's mother.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I just had a thought. What if when the Blackbeard Pirates fail to get the Mera Mera no Mi, they decide to take Doflamingo's DF as a consolation prize?

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Pacifist gladiator is an oxymoron. It is impossible to be a pacifist and participate in combat sports. Her fighting style simply took advantage of her opponents over aggression, and the environment. Clobbering someone in the middle of the arena is a waste of time. Her style ensured a one shot KO.
    Sorry to be nitpicking but your statement/premise is faulty. There is nothing wrong or contradictory with Rebecca being a gladiator the way she is.

Quote Quote:
    Among the cognoscenti, bravado and skill in combat were esteemed over mere bloodshed; some gladiators made their careers and reputation from bloodless victories. Suetonius describes an exceptional munus by Nero, in which no-one was killed, "not even noxii (enemies of the state)."
    That's a quote from Wiki on Gladiators with a cited footnote for reference.

That said, after the flashback where she calls her own training domestic violence, I don't think she has the heart to seriously kill anybody even if its Doflamingo.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post
    Sorry to be nitpicking but your statement/premise is faulty. There is nothing wrong or contradictory with Rebecca being a gladiator the way she is.
    Pacifism is a rejection of violence. It does not matter if the opponent is not killed, armed combat is violent, aggressive behavior. A pacifist gladiator is an absolute, total, near comical contradiction in terms. I can not imagine finding a real life pacifist who would condone blood sports, even if the loser is left alive.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Rebecca ever hurt any gladiator? Why is she fighting? Was she forced to fight in the Coliseum? If I recall, Rebecca doesn't hurt anyone, she dodges and makes them fall out of the arena for disqualification. She is fighting to get the mera mera no mi to kill Doflamingo and bring peace back to her kingdom, and because she is being forced to fight as a gladiator.

I do not see the contradiction in her being a pacifist gladiator.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pacifism is a rejection of violence. It does not matter if the opponent is not killed, armed combat is violent, aggressive behavior. A pacifist gladiator is an absolute, total, near comical contradiction in terms. I can not imagine finding a real life pacifist who would condone blood sports, even if the loser is left alive.
    My memory is a bit rusty but I don't recall the manga ever using the word "pacifist" to describe Rebecca. Sure she fights.... then by definition she isn't a pacifist is she? This is why I don't understand why you keep calling her a pacifist gladiator and trying to tare down a character narrative that doesn't exist.

When I was a kid I used to wrestle with friends for fun (of course we didn't kill each other or intend to cause each other any harm) but there's entertainment value in competition for both spectators and participants. This is if you're looking for real life examples.

Anyways, I think there's something to the actual "why" she's participating in the Colosseum that we will find out in a future chapter. It's troublesome to speculate because it could be for lots of different reasons.

EDIT: (clarification) I mean why she's been participating in the Colosseum in the past before this current tournament.
    Last edited by Anduren; February 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

If navigating the New World were that simple, someone would have made their way to Raftel by now. The idea seems to be that, unlike Paradise, taking a single route from beginning to end would be impossible. If Luffy only followed the most dangerous route they would probably reach a dead end, at some point. Very little has been revealed about navigating the New World. It's hard to speak in anything more than hypotheticals. Dressrosa is the first inhabited New World Island the Strawhats have visited.

After this saga, once Kaido is defeated, there is a good chance that Luffy becomes a target. At some point other crews will seek out the Strawhats. I imagine that if someone were looking for Luffy, they would be able to find him. Small crews either form alliances with big crews, or challenge them. Once the Strawhats defeat Kaido and his crew, they will be regarded as New World elite. At that point they will have allied crews, and they will have crews emerge to challenge them. At least one potential ally has emerged on Dressrosa.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

She probably won't need to. Supporting character, not going to fight anyone elite.

Pacifist gladiator is an oxymoron. It is impossible to be a pacifist and participate in combat sports. Her fighting style simply took advantage of her opponents over aggression, and the environment. Clobbering someone in the middle of the arena is a waste of time. Her style ensured a one shot KO.

Diamante is the swordsman.

What is the basis for your opinion?

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I thought Rebecca, Thunder Soldier, Bellamy, Wicca, Kinnemon and Momo were joining the crew. Violet is joining now too? The Sunny is going to get very crowded.
    Answer to what you asked to me-
    He said so himself in one of the chapters. I think the second chapter since his appearance.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat 13 View Post
    For those of you discussing what BB said about JB "taking" Mera-mera no mi-

I looked at the raw for ch. 720- the kanji used was "ITADA"(ku) (many may be familiar with "itadakimasu"-a phase often spoken before meals in Japan) which is essentially a very formal way of showing acceptance for an item or effort. It makes sense from the context of the conversation (between BB and luffy) that BB is telling Luffy that JB will "respectfully accept (win) the fire fruit"-which is merely a insult to Luffy, considering BB and his crew seem to lack even a drop of respect for anything (Oda's representation of good vs evil?) This insult continues with BB's line of how it will be like Ace joining his crew....

In the end, the Japanese text supports the idea that JB'S goal is consumption and not retrieval of the Mera-mera no mi. Given the usage of "itadaku" it paints the picture of something to be ate by JB, if his intent was to retrieve the fruit I could see a different Kanji being used.
    Excellent analysis, Strawhat13! Definitely inclined to agree with you here, especially since you're presenting with ACTUAL research. Granted, I still think there's a possibility JB has a DF (even if the goal is to consume the Mera Mera no mi), but I suppose that's a whole different discussion for another time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Necron's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What if Rebecca has been holding back until now?
    Maybe she just wants the Doflamingo family (in this case Diamante) to be the only ones to recieve any damage from her. Sure she's just standing in the corner doing nothing right now, but maybe once the battle gets more chaotic she'll go for a one on one with Diamante and actually show some bloodlust (not saying she's going to win though, that's Sabo's task). But maybe I'm just hoping for too much.

The thing that I don't like about Rebeka, is not her character, or her fighting style. It's her clothing, as werid as it sounds. And it's not because it's so revealing, Oda manages not to get too carried away with breasts- and a**-shots, despite some of his females showing too much skin. But the things she wears are just so plain and boring. Compare her to Diamante or Jesus Burgess, who have either badass armour or a unique outfit. She just has a gladiator bikini and with cape and helmet.
    My Deviant Art
    But don't expect any Manga drawing here, haven't done that in a long time.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Do you guys think Bart's Barrier power could serve as a platform for the contestants to stand/fight on?

I ask because Diamante touching the ring is like the elephant in the room - nobody is talking about it, but it's a pretty big problem for the other contestants. I'm guessing that's why he's the "Hero" of the colesium - just as Pica is perfect for controlling Riku Palace, Diamante is probably best suited for the colesium because his power can probably manipulate the ring.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Necron View Post
    What if Rebecca has been holding back until now?
    Maybe she just wants the Doflamingo family (in this case Diamante) to be the only ones to recieve any damage from her. Sure she's just standing in the corner doing nothing right now, but maybe once the battle gets more chaotic she'll go for a one on one with Diamante and actually show some bloodlust (not saying she's going to win though, that's Sabo's task). But maybe I'm just hoping for too much.

The thing that I don't like about Rebeka, is not her character, or her fighting style. It's her clothing, as werid as it sounds. And it's not because it's so revealing, Oda manages not to get too carried away with breasts- and a**-shots, despite some of his females showing too much skin. But the things she wears are just so plain and boring. Compare her to Diamante or Jesus Burgess, who have either badass armour or a unique outfit. She just has a gladiator bikini and with cape and helmet.
    I don't know about the final round, but she's definitely been holding back in Block D. She doesn't want to hurt anyone, so she's purely on the defensive, using her skills to counter, parry, and dodge.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a theory regarding Rebecca. After Doflamingo has been taken down, she will succeed Diamante as the “hero of the coliseum”. Basically, she will take charge of the coliseum and revert back to it old ways alongside with her father.

For 800 years, Dressrosa was a peaceful country that never experienced war. Even the king himself is against killing another human even if that human is trying to take over the country. It would make zero sense for Dressrosa to organize death matches in the coliseum. The gladiator prisoners themselves confirm that there weren’t death matches prior to Doflamingo becoming king.

So, how does a gladiator in Dressrosa fights 10 years before? Considering how they emphasize on peace and not killing people, I think it is very likely that the gladiators use Rebecca’s technique. A technique that relies on speed and not hurting people seem fitting for them. That would explain why Toy soldier and King Riku know the same technique. If Toy Soldier is Kyros, he would have known that technique. If King Riku used to be a gladiator during his youth, he would have also learned it. So, Rebecca’s technique could have been passed down from generation of gladiators.

After Doflamingo took over, he started to organised death matches and corrupted the citizens of Dressrosa. He punished those that refused to fight and forced the gladiators to fight for their freedom. Those that want to survive had no choice but to hurt and kill another individual. Eventually, none of the gladiators use that technique anymore since it’s impractical. The citizen could have also forgotten about it with all the memory wipe going on. Kyros could have been the one to popularize that technique. So when he disappeared, everyone forgets about it.

However, Rebecca still uses that technique and she managed to win all her fights by not hurting another individual. If she wins against Diamante, not only does she avenge her mother, she’s also indirectly preserving the heritage of Dressrosa’s gladiator. She’s fighting to restore the former glory of the coliseum and the gladiators.

Once Doflamingo has been taken down and everyone regained their memories, it’s possible that Kyros may want to restore the coliseum to its former glory. And if Toy soldier is indeed Kyros, Rebecca would want to help her father. Being one of the few individuals that used the technique, it's fitting she restore the glory the coliseum.

On the side note, I also thought of the possibility of the colleseum being destroyed as a symbol of the prisoners being “free”. But considering how this colleseum has been around for at least 20 years , it would seem quite terrible for Dressrosa to lose a piece of their landmark.

Thanks for reading my theory.

15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    The thing that I don't like about Rebeka, is not her character, or her fighting style. It's her clothing, as werid as it sounds. And it's not because it's so revealing, Oda manages not to get too carried away with breasts- and a**-shots, despite some of his females showing too much skin. She just has a gladiator bikini and with cape and helmet.
    It's a reference to Red Sonja, it may not change your opinion, but the outfit has its purpose.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Prediction
    Plan sop works and everyone regains their memory. Toy soldier is human again. He beats lao g.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sameel View Post
    Prediction
    Plan sop works and everyone regains their memory. Toy soldier is human again. He beats lao g.
    Prediction:
    Doflamingo trips over his own feet and dies. Dressrosa is liberated.

I don't buy for a minute that it'll be that simple. Plan S.O.P. will work, I grant you, but it will be a massive mess and require loads of ad-libbing. It won't happen nearly quickly enough for Soldier-san to beat Lao G.

New Reply
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast