Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: What type of music do you listen to when reading manga?

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of music do you listen to when reading manga?

I do not know about you but hell yeah! I mean .. when I read some manga I usually have music turned to a high degree.

Was it Kubo that said he draws based on music, well I READ while listening to music, do any of you have your favorite combinations of music + manga reading?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of music do you listen to when reading manga?

Different music for the occasion and such. Typically I just have all my music grouped into one thing of just the most recent anime ops and character songs.

But some soundtracks go well with stuff, like the HxH 2011 osts fit so many shonen action series well.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's like give me a title of a manga (if I read it) and I'll give you a soundtrack in exchange. For example...

Usually I listen to ONE PIECE's theme songs when I'm reading it, but I had flamenco music in the background during the beginning of the Dressrosa arc.

When I was marathoning Magi, I remember listening to Dead Can Dance and Epica.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

To me music is something that has to grow on me, its very difficult for me to insta-love a song or a series of songs when I read manga. Its usually when I'm already listening to music that I realize a song fits the manga. I've never tried making a playlist for manga though.

I really love listening to soundtracks though. Songs with lyrics can be distracting when I'm trying to read and digest the plot at the same time. One of the best re-reads I did was listening to the Sympathy for Lady Vengence OST to Liar Game. There's just something about modern interpretations of baroque music that really fits with the theme of manipulation and lying.

For a while I also enjoyed re-reading Beelzebub to the soundtrack(s) of Panty & Stocking. There's something about the upbeat disco elctronic songs that match the mood of the manga.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have found myself listening to some favorite anime songs while reading my manga, the hardest part is probably listening to classical music while reading manga, it either has to be very fast or no go at all with some of the action.

One Piece always gets me in an adrenalin rush so I do need music every week while reading the chapter, it's become a habit now.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ArtIristic's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to listen to Cowboy Bebop. Blue, Is it Real, The Singing Sea, Goodnight Julia , basically the entire soundtrack of Cowboy Bebop, but mainly the more laid back ones.

Now, the only manga that I read now is Attack on Titan, but I would like to get started on the manga adaptation of Higurashi one day.

To be fair, listening to CB while reading AoT can either fit really well, because of the somber tone, or not; Smooth Jazz doesn't fit well while action is going on. I guess most people would just stick to AoT's soundtrack, like Vogel im Käfig or 進撃vc-pf20130218巨人 (actual name).
    〜Nano desu~※☆✕

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner theruleofflaw's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I listen to anime openings and endings when reading manga especially Guilty Bios.

New Reply