Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/1/14 - 9/7/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Demon Souls / Dark Souls I / II, prepared to die ?

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demon Souls / Dark Souls I / II, prepared to die ?

Well I know there are some hardcore fans who are capable of finding the best possible way to start the game blindly, or having one of the best armor in the game only within one hour since the game started, those are guys who don't need no guide lol. But yeah, I agree, I do not think there are beginners who are familiar with Dark Souls's infamous difficulty and still play the game blindly from the beginning till the end.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Most boss guides are pretty shitty too.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found that most of the "bosses" are actually pretty easy to beat (except for the Wandering Demon), you just need the best tactics against them. At least in comparison to Black Knights or Havel, who are mini-bosses, or mini-mini-bosses technically.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

"Easy to beat" as in be persistent in your tactics and execute them consistently... Dodge attack dodge dodge attack rinse and repeat kinda thing right... If only I had the resolve to do the same thing over and over again

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, now I'm somewhere around 80-90% of completing this game (minus Ancient Dragon). Hopefully the last boss isn't that difficult, I'm going to finish this by weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    "Easy to beat" as in be persistent in your tactics and execute them consistently... Dodge attack dodge dodge attack rinse and repeat kinda thing right... If only I had the resolve to do the same thing over and over again
    Well, it's not something exclusive to Dark Souls, it's pretty much the same with game like The Witcher/God of War, except Dark Souls punishes mistake very harshly.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Okay, now I'm somewhere around 80-90% of completing this game (minus Ancient Dragon). Hopefully the last boss isn't that difficult, I'm going to finish this by weekend.

Well, it's not something exclusive to Dark Souls, it's pretty much the same with game like The Witcher/God of War, except Dark Souls punishes mistake very harshly.
    Pretty much the same with most games with boss fights Especially the old school ones. That said, I like the way they just suddenly show up in your face at times, when you don't expect bosses at all. I actually might feel like playing at some point......

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Pretty much the same with most games with boss fights Especially the old school ones. That said, I like the way they just suddenly show up in your face at times, when you don't expect bosses at all. I actually might feel like playing at some point......
    The problem is it's not a turn-based RPG lol, the thrill is always on. You break your concentration; unable to read their attack patterns, and boom suddenly your Hit Points vanishes. IMHO the reason why Dark Souls is very difficult is because it demands us to be as perfect as possible with our mechanics.

As for suddenly showing up, most bosses in Dark Souls 2 are pretty obvious IMHO. Most fog entrances are always boss battle.

You definitely should, it's going to be a frustrating journey, but it's definitely a rewarding one.

---------- Post added May 22, 2014 at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was May 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM ----------

Sooo.. Now finally I finished my first playthrough of this game. Overall rating 8/10.

Things I like:

- Several cool bosses like Lost Sinner (definitely the hardest boss and coolest for me personally), The Pursuer, Executioner Chariot, Scorpionness Najka, Ornstein.
    - How vast the world is, with different settings. although I have no idea how different terrains could possibly be linked to each other
    - Cool phantoms albeit my favorite one has the dumbest A.I. ever
    - Majula music is pretty chilling

Things I do not like:
    - Bosses that sometimes kinda too boring/dull looking (demon song boss, covetous demon) or bosses that are trying to overpower you through quantity (Ruin sentinels, royal rat vanguard and authority, double dragon riders). I really do not like the latter, it's some sort of adding a "cheap" difficulty if I may say so.
    - Dumb A.I phantoms
    - Indecipherable story line. Honestly I think From Software could hire a better scriptwriter to make Dark Souls series at least has a decent plot line. Dunno why they think they could not make a game with both good storyline and gameplay though.

I might want to play new game + as Melee Dex/Cleric, they look really fun to play.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people like the minimal story line though. You have to figure it out based on talking to NPCs or finding items.

Oh, this is hilarious:

I think with my heart and I move with my head | My Stories Archive - Short Story: "Life According to an Onion" UP!

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know but.. maybe it's just me, but I believe you can make a minimalist story and still making more sense than DS's plots. Thankfully it doesn't ruin the gameplay experience though.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member White Rabbit's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not that the story doesn't make sense... but rather that you have to figure it out yourself.
    Comparing the storytelling of Dark Souls with Diablo or Skyrim is like comparing Lost Highway with Transformers.

The videos of VaatiVidya give a really profound and detailed interpretation of the lore:

After finishing DS2 for three times, I'm taking a little time off... but I'm pretty excited about this "PROJECT BEAST"-stuff.

Music of rebellion makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires who're nearly twice your age

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I didn't make any comparison or whatsoever here, just trying to say they could make a decent story without dazing with themselves. It's not a fatal flaw or nothing, since DS fans already argued they are not playing for the story to begin with. As for Vaati, I used to like his videos for DS, not so much for DS 2.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Nah, I didn't make any comparison or whatsoever here, just trying to say they could make a decent story without dazing with themselves.
    I didn't mean to put any words in your mouth... I just wanted to point out that the Souls-games use a very different kind of narrative because you stated that the story doesn't make sense.
    Imo just because we don't get spoonfed with cutscenes and a cinematic plot does not mean that the actual story has no sense.

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    I didn't mean to put any words in your mouth... I just wanted to point out that the Souls-games use a very different kind of narrative because you stated that the story doesn't make sense.
    Imo just because we don't get spoonfed with cutscenes and a cinematic plot does not mean that the actual story has no sense.
    Perhaps I was being too vague about it, but my problem with the story wasn't necessarily technical, so I wasn't asking for DS to be a cutscene-laden type of game or anything. For the record, I really like some of the lores, like Lost Sinner's or Last Giants'. For Dark Souls 2 fans, maybe it's easier if I say Dark Souls 2 is better than any game... except Dark Souls.

It's not Lost Highway vis-à-vis Transformers, it's Lost Highway vis-à-vis Blue Velvet or Mullholland Drive, If we're using your David Lynch analogy here.
    Last edited by Doraku; May 26, 2014 at 07:10 PM.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

I was really intrigued by the backstory of Nashandra, Vendrick and especially the role of the giants.
    DS had a surprise-effect with the world it created... DS2 lacks this to some extend because many main things in Drangleic are based on things we know from Lordran.

I didn't mean to say that the DS-franchise is the ultimate stuff in terms of plot... i just find it very refreshing how they tell it because it demands of the player to think for himself.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I went through some of Vaati's videos...guess I spoiled myself since I'm barely through the game. But I didn't realize the story was that deep, lol

---------- Post added May 30, 2014 at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was May 27, 2014 at 03:50 PM ----------

Picked up DS again after a week of not playing. Still can't beat the Stray Demon

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't him like the first boss but with a couple more moves?

Spoiler: dumb rant show

New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast