Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Science of Souls

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Science of Souls

All of the brouhaha over Rukia's explanation of her power brings up a really interesting array of questions.

What are souls made of?

- Okay, they have given us that they are made up of 'reishi,' but what are the characteristics of reishi and how it functions as opposed to how our human atoms and molecules work?

- Shinigami souls, unlike humans, harbor magical powers, take way more damage than a human's, need a gigai to interact in the physical world and apparently can defy certain laws of human physics.

- When a shingami's soul (which takes the form of a body) is damaged, what are the mechanics of that injury and the healing that is provided by squad four?

- Shinji mentioned suturing reishi directly, and Unohana spoke of restoring the injured person's reiatsu, and how that assists the healer in healing them, but how does the healing work exactly?

- Shinigami bodies get cut and bleed. Bones break, etc., but what Unohana said to the vizards after healing Hyori suggests that there is something different about what that damage really is. We have seen people impaled through the heart and losing limbs that are later restored (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Soi Fon!), so what are the limits of what can be healed? (An Arrancar said that one must sever the head to be sure that the person would die, but Gin died when he was impaled through the heart and had an arm torn off, while Byakuya and Rose were both recently impaled through the chest and Byakuya lost part of a limb, but those two lived.)

I find all of this fascinating and would love to see discussion on what a soul made of reishi is and what 'laws' we can surmise it follows. It would be good to see any manga evidence suggesting rules, or also places where there seem to be inconsistencies.

All viewpoints are welcome. This is meant to be a two-sided discussion and is sure to be a fun exploration of the manga.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Science of Souls

This is something that has always intrigued me, and what will probably come to light very soon; after all, this mysterious Soul King may be the origin of all life!!!

I'm going to focus on one point of discussion here, and that's relating to the "magical powers" that you mentioned. Currently, we don't really know much as to the origin of Shinigami or Quincy powers. Sure, we know Yhwach is the progenitor of the Quincies, but we don't actually know how he was born with these powers; my best guess is he's unknowingly some kind of FullBring, but that's for discussion elsewhere. At this time, we (AFAIK) haven't had any clue whatsoever as to what gives a normal Soul latent Shinigami powers...

...But, on the other hand, we do know how Hollows gain their magical powers, and we know they are born from ordinary Humans who have no magical powers. That's what's making me wonder if all of the magical powers that exist actually stemmed from Hollows? Perhaps, as I said before, Yhwach was born as a FullBring, or maybe a mutation allowed him to gain access to his powers as a living being; at this point I can only speculate...
    Predictions
    • Just as Quincies are evolved beings born from Humans, Shinigami are evolved beings born from Hollows.
    • Once Yhwach dies, Ichigo's Quincy powers will disappear and his soul will become unstable, causing the onset of Soul Suicide.
    • Yhwach isn't going to be the final antagonist.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you may be on to something!

I also noticed that when As Nodt was talking about fear, he said that feelings of peace are associated with feeling alive, while fear is closely associated with the possibility of death. One way that a human becomes a hollow is to die with unresolved feelings or sins that keep them from crossing over. Hollows are born of those dark feelings and fears. Think then of the fact that the times when Ichigo's powers have emerged or grown were times when he feared for his life or someone he cared about (Rukia in the Soul Society and Rescue arcs, Orihime in the Arrancar arc, his ability to protect his friends in the fullbring arc, and his shinigami friends, particularly Byakuya, Rukia and Renji in the current arc.

If you think of it that way, maybe shinigami powers either grew or were granted because the peace (life) in Soul Society was threatened. It could have been by Ywach's last incarnation or even further back than that. But if fear comes from worries of impending death, then the power to protect through 'magical powers' may have evolved from that need.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird0ne View Post
    All of the brouhaha over Rukia's explanation of her power brings up a really interesting array of questions.

What are souls made of?

- Okay, they have given us that they are made up of 'reishi,' but what are the characteristics of reishi and how it functions as opposed to how our human atoms and molecules work?
    Mostly likely they work the same.

Quote Quote:
    Shinigami souls, unlike humans, harbor magical powers, take way more damage than a human's, need a gigai to interact in the physical world and apparently can defy certain laws of human physics.
    Bodies made of reishi let people interact with reishi in the atmosphere, which is not seen by normal people. That's why Shinigami and Hollow can be seen only by people with spiritual awareness (ability to interact with reishi). But reishi is everywhere. Shinigamis don't have problems stepping on it and "flying", which Moe (Susugawara or something?) commented on. It's not "magical power", it's a power of one's soul, that is kind of suppressed inside normal body (Isshin?), that can leak out when people are too strong (spiritually), those are mediums. Ichigo was one. Outstanding spiritual powers just couldn't be suppressed and he could freely interact with Hollows and souls.

Quote Quote:
    When a shingami's soul (which takes the form of a body) is damaged, what are the mechanics of that injury and the healing that is provided by squad four?
    I guess you can just replace atoms with reishi and that's all the difference, with reishi not being suppressed anymore. There's blood (lots of it), there are bones, there are internal organs like lungs (Soifon against Arrancar proved that). It's a normal body, just made of something else.

One of Isshin's attack is based on his blood. So far we've seen, that it burns that well. Blood seems pretty packed with reishi. The whole body is probably just a veeery dense reishi. No wonder small amount of blood could create an attack that chopped off White's blade/arm.

Quote Quote:
    - Shinji mentioned suturing reishi directly, and Unohana spoke of restoring the injured person's reiatsu, and how that assists the healer in healing them, but how does the healing work exactly?
    Well, reishi=atoms and everything is made of reishi (even buildings in SS or HM), so skin is made of reishi as well. "Suturing reishi" is simply "suturing skin". Reiatsu is something different though. I mean, in the end it's still reishi, but it's power of one's soul which manifests as reishi. Soul or "heart" of one's power is the source of reishi then. It's more of an internar reishi, so to speak? And it's being healed separately, as it's hard to heal inside and outside at the same time. Healing wounds is not healing reiatsu, but Unohana can do it just fine, even Ichigo was surprised, because Inoue can't do it simultanously.

THIS IS AAAAALLLL PURE SPECULATION.

All viewpoints are welcome. This is meant to be a two-sided discussion and is sure to be a fun exploration of the manga.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.J.Baxter View Post
    ...But, on the other hand, we do know how Hollows gain their magical powers, and we know they are born from ordinary Humans who have no magical powers. That's what's making me wonder if all of the magical powers that exist actually stemmed from Hollows? Perhaps, as I said before, Yhwach was born as a FullBring, or maybe a mutation allowed him to gain access to his powers as a living being; at this point I can only speculate...
    Hollows are born from Humans who have NO magical powers? Was it ever stated? Hollows gain power by eating others. EVERY Hollow has own "limit", which probably relates to it's original reiatsu capacity (I can just call it "talent", which would mean the same). If all Hollows had NO magical powers, there'd be no Arrancars or anything.

If Yhwach is FB, why does Quincy powers destroy Hollows completely? If Yhwach has Hollow powers, all Quincies do too. Why did Ryuken say, that FB are COMPLETELY different from Ishida? Why there's no Quincy, who has Hollow characteristics, Quincified Arrancars excluded? How can Arrancar get Quincified, if Quincy=FB=Hollow reiatsu? And how does Yhwach's ability relate to Hollows? There's nothing that makes it Hollow-ish. It's completely different. Hollows reinforce their skin. Quincies- blood vessels. Juha can distribute his power however he likes and can give it to everyone else. He didn't do ANYTHING to gain that power. Fullbringer power comes from attachment to a specific object. And comes from user's and that object's reiatsu. You can't just give it however you like. Reiatsu is stored in it or something of the sort. The guy couldn't even see. Hell, he couldn't move, talk and do anything, he was a newborn and still had that ability. His power seems completely unrelated to everything we've seen. And from all possible powers, FB seems the least likely in my opinion. It's from object to person and it takes a while to learn it. What was Newborn-Yhwach's object, that he manifested with Hollow reiatsu? When did he learn it?
    Last edited by Duniak; February 07, 2014 at 03:41 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member devstauk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The strange thing is kubo has placed two worlds next to each other one being the real world which has the exact same rules as ours does where atoms create everything within it, then there is SS made completely of Reishi which either acts as atom's or exists side by side with atoms. Im no expert in the field and i certainly don't have over abundance amounts of knowledge about atoms and how they all work but within the world Kubo has created if massive amounts of reishi leaks into the Real World things start to get a bit crazy.

But the main thing we do know is that within SS Reishi is the main component that makes everything and is the driving force of all living things, while in the human world we expect the laws of actual real life to be true.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Reishi is the base of all things more so than atoms. Kubo is taking from Buddhism and other religions in the idea that the mind and body can ascend or descend to new levels of happiness, knowledge, and of existence during life and after death. He also adds Shinto which believes the idea that everything has its own spirit. This is Reishi. Kubo is saying that everything has its own Reishi down to the very atoms and the property of the Reishi changes as it is shifted between worlds.

Human world has low reishi, so much that nobody notices it unless influenced by a strong reishi force. SS is naturally richer and allows for spiritual awakening, like becoming a shinigami. Hueco mundo is rich in Reishi but it also seems to be a spiritual sink where raw reishi can pile up. Royal realm looks like it has Reishi that is in full bloom so to speak, allowing for many new possibilities.

The Quincy are basically hacking the computer mainframe. They can do all kinds of crazy things with reishi that Mayuri, Urahara and Aizen couldn't manage despite all their science.
    Last edited by conn-man; February 08, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conn-man View Post
    I think Reishi is the base of all things more so than atoms. Kubo is taking from Buddhism and other religions in the idea that the mind and body can ascend or descend to new levels of happiness, knowledge, and of existence during life and after death. He also adds Shinto which believes the idea that everything has its own spirit. This is Reishi. Kubo is saying that everything has its own Reishi down to the very atoms and the property of the Reishi changes as it is shifted between worlds.

Human world has low reishi, so much that nobody notices it unless influenced by a strong reishi force. SS is naturally richer and allows for spiritual awakening, like becoming a shinigami. Hueco mundo is rich in Reishi but it also seems to be a spiritual sink where raw reishi can pile up. Royal realm looks like it has Reishi that is in full bloom so to speak, allowing for many new possibilities.

The Quincy are basically hacking the computer mainframe. They can do all kinds of crazy things with reishi that Mayuri, Urahara and Aizen couldn't manage despite all their science.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here! Everything does seem to boil don to the manipulation and management of reishi particles. They make up souls and all of the things in Soul Society and the rules of reishi seem to allow for more intense manipulations than our molecules and atoms.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post

Bodies made of reishi let people interact with reishi in the atmosphere, which is not seen by normal people. That's why Shinigami and Hollow can be seen only by people with spiritual awareness (ability to interact with reishi). But reishi is everywhere. Shinigamis don't have problems stepping on it and "flying", which Moe (Susugawara or something?) commented on. It's not "magical power", it's a power of one's soul, that is kind of suppressed inside normal body (Isshin?), that can leak out when people are too strong (spiritually), those are mediums. Ichigo was one. Outstanding spiritual powers just couldn't be suppressed and he could freely interact with Hollows and souls.

I guess you can just replace atoms with reishi and that's all the difference, with reishi not being suppressed anymore. There's blood (lots of it), there are bones, there are internal organs like lungs (Soifon against Arrancar proved that). It's a normal body, just made of something else.

One of Isshin's attack is based on his blood. So far we've seen, that it burns that well. Blood seems pretty packed with reishi. The whole body is probably just a veeery dense reishi. No wonder small amount of blood could create an attack that chopped off White's blade/arm.

Well, reishi=atoms and everything is made of reishi (even buildings in SS or HM), so skin is made of reishi as well. "Suturing reishi" is simply "suturing skin". Reiatsu is something different though. I mean, in the end it's still reishi, but it's power of one's soul which manifests as reishi. Soul or "heart" of one's power is the source of reishi then. It's more of an internar reishi, so to speak? And it's being healed separately, as it's hard to heal inside and outside at the same time. Healing wounds is not healing reiatsu, but Unohana can do it just fine, even Ichigo was surprised, because Inoue can't do it simultanously.

Speculation maybe, but that was a great reflection on the subject. We have lots of examples of reishi manipulation, and how reishi affects the viability of powers. Reishi is least dense in the living world, where shinigamis have to wear limiters to protect the residents from their use of it. Soul Society's residents, buildings and everything else are made of reishi. And when Rukia and Renji were preparing to train with Ichibei, we learned that the reishi in the royal realm is most dense of all. I think if Ywach reaches the royal realm, SS is pretty much screwed...not that it wasn't already. Still, his interest seem to be in maintaining a constant flow of conflict, so perhaps he won't bother with the soul king. But that reishi rich environment in the royal realm would give a huge boost to the SRs probably.

Quote Quote:
    Hollows are born from Humans who have NO magical powers? Was it ever stated? Hollows gain power by eating others. EVERY Hollow has own "limit", which probably relates to it's original reiatsu capacity (I can just call it "talent", which would mean the same). If all Hollows had NO magical powers, there'd be no Arrancars or anything.

If Yhwach is FB, why does Quincy powers destroy Hollows completely? If Yhwach has Hollow powers, all Quincies do too. Why did Ryuken say, that FB are COMPLETELY different from Ishida? Why there's no Quincy, who has Hollow characteristics, Quincified Arrancars excluded? How can Arrancar get Quincified, if Quincy=FB=Hollow reiatsu? And how does Yhwach's ability relate to Hollows? There's nothing that makes it Hollow-ish. It's completely different. Hollows reinforce their skin. Quincies- blood vessels. Juha can distribute his power however he likes and can give it to everyone else. He didn't do ANYTHING to gain that power. Fullbringer power comes from attachment to a specific object. And comes from user's and that object's reiatsu. You can't just give it however you like. Reiatsu is stored in it or something of the sort. The guy couldn't even see. Hell, he couldn't move, talk and do anything, he was a newborn and still had that ability. His power seems completely unrelated to everything we've seen. And from all possible powers, FB seems the least likely in my opinion. It's from object to person and it takes a while to learn it. What was Newborn-Yhwach's object, that he manifested with Hollow reiatsu? When did he learn it?
    I think hollows come from dark emotion or sin that is not resolved within a soul that dies. The soul is restless, so does not pass over and becomes a hollow, or may be eaten by a hollow. I would like to know more about what exactly a shinigami soul slayer does. I think the manga described it as the soul is purified and the dark emotion or sin in other translations, is shed so the soul can pass over. But I can't remember if the soul then goes to SS or if the soul's reishi is broken down and becomes a part of SS. I have to go back and look.

I've seen people reflecting that maybe the shinigamis are wrong in thinking that quincy powers erase hollows. Disturbingly, after the chapter on Ywach's history, I am thinking it is that the 'killed' hollow or soul becomes a tribute to empower Ywach and thus is no longer detectable. That being the case, I wonder if this was Kira's fate and if his power will show up in the hands of a quincy, at some point.

I think your analysis of Quincy vs hollow or FB power seems solid. I am still confused about the Quincy/Hollow thing. Urahara hollowfied the captains' bankai so that the quincies could not tolerate them. But there are Arrancars with quincy powers, and Ywach doesn't seem to have a problem with absorbing the souls of the Arrancars who are killed. So, I wonder how hollowfying helped. that seemed confusing.

It would be useful to know if Ywach was human or if his mother and/or father were different in some way. There's just enough info in that chapter to bring on a lot more questions.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I think hollows come from dark emotion or sin that is not resolved within a soul that dies. The soul is restless, so does not pass over and becomes a hollow, or may be eaten by a hollow. I would like to know more about what exactly a shinigami soul slayer does. I think the manga described it as the soul is purified and the dark emotion or sin in other translations, is shed so the soul can pass over. But I can't remember if the soul then goes to SS or if the soul's reishi is broken down and becomes a part of SS. I have to go back and look.
    They go to SS, normally. Hollows are born from negative emotions and not being able to pass peacefully, like Inoue brother. IIRC Ichigo was scared he will kill him, but Rukia said "Nah, he will go to SS, cutting the mask is like performing a soul burial".

Quote Quote:
    I've seen people reflecting that maybe the shinigamis are wrong in thinking that quincy powers erase hollows. Disturbingly, after the chapter on Ywach's history, I am thinking it is that the 'killed' hollow or soul becomes a tribute to empower Ywach and thus is no longer detectable. That being the case, I wonder if this was Kira's fate and if his power will show up in the hands of a quincy, at some point.
    You mean something along the lines of "Quincy infect Hollow with Yhwach-virus and kill them, making Juha stronger"?

Quote Quote:
    I think your analysis of Quincy vs hollow or FB power seems solid. I am still confused about the Quincy/Hollow thing. Urahara hollowfied the captains' bankai so that the quincies could not tolerate them. But there are Arrancars with quincy powers, and Ywach doesn't seem to have a problem with absorbing the souls of the Arrancars who are killed. So, I wonder how hollowfying helped. that seemed confusing.
    Well... blood type-like thing? AB and 0 are perfect examples. 0 can be given to anyone, but can't receive anything except 0. Hollow can receive Quincy reiatsu, but Quincy can't tolerate Hollow. Their body "reject" Hollow reiatsu, that's why Quincies lost their Bankais. They simply cut their connection with it. Yhwach absorbing part of his soul from Arrancars isn't that strange. He just gets back his power, not all of Arrancar's power.

Quote Quote:
    It would be useful to know if Ywach was human or if his mother and/or father were different in some way. There's just enough info in that chapter to bring on a lot more questions.
    Dayum, look at him. If his parents were different they would still be alive (Soul King...? xD), his ability can't just be from nothing. I call it first! Juha is a human born from Soul King and a human. Human maybe being Ishida, making Juha an Ishida, and thus explaining Ishida's and Ryuken's immunity to Auswahlen, explaining why Ishida has something like Juha and is the next king of Quincies. And why Ishidas were so hung up on leading Quincies altogether.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

I think you misread my post; I was stating the Hollows, who DO have magical powers, are born from the average Joe who DON'T have access to magical powers.
    Predictions
    • Just as Quincies are evolved beings born from Humans, Shinigami are evolved beings born from Hollows.
    • Once Yhwach dies, Ichigo's Quincy powers will disappear and his soul will become unstable, causing the onset of Soul Suicide.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you misread my post; I was stating the Hollows, who DO have magical powers, are born from the average Joe who DON'T have access to magical powers.
    Well, I read it right, I just misunderstood. You wrote "Hollow are born from people without powers" like it was some kind of a rule, or so I thought. :P IMO Hollows can be born from both people with power and those without it. Their Hollow nature comes from their feelings at the moment of death, or a sin, whatever.

Then again, somehow who can interact with spirits and Hollows wouldn't become a Hollow himself. He wouldn't feel useless or needed on WoTL and would want to go to SS, if he helped lots of other guys to do so.
    Last edited by Duniak; February 13, 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I read it right, I just misunderstood. You wrote "Hollow are born from people without powers" like it was some kind of a rule, or so I thought. :P IMO Hollows can be born from both people with power and those without it. Their Hollow nature comes from their feelings at the moment of death, or a sin, whatever.

Then again, somehow who can interact with spirits and Hollows wouldn't become a Hollow himself. He wouldn't feel useless or needed on WoTL and would want to go to SS, if he helped lots of other guys to do so.
    I'd have to disagree there, as Humans become Pluses before they become Hollows, and Pluses have the ability to interact with both spirits and Hollows. However, you might be on the right track somewhat; if a Plus is aware of their situation and knows the impending danger of becoming a Hollow, they might be able to resist or control it somehow...perhaps that's how Shinigami emerged (i.e. they managed to turn the Hollow transformation into something else by controlling it; after all, their powers also come from their heart so they may be related).
    Predictions

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to disagree there, as Humans become Pluses before they become Hollows, and Pluses have the ability to interact with both spirits and Hollows. However, you might be on the right track somewhat; if a Plus is aware of their situation and knows the impending danger of becoming a Hollow, they might be able to resist or control it somehow...perhaps that's how Shinigami emerged (i.e. they managed to turn the Hollow transformation into something else by controlling it; after all, their powers also come from their heart so they may be related).
    More like... someone who can see and interact with ghosts would go either batshit crazy or he'd need to become a helpful person. He'd have to abandon normal, everyday life, and that means less occasions to have so much remorse to become a Hollow.

New Reply