Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Chapter 565 gave us a lot of interesting stuff and raised some questions on Yhwach and his origins, but since then the manga moved back onto battles, so I thought it would be worth making a thread to talk about the mysteries of him and the Quincy.

    For one thing, I was thinking about the connection between Quincy powers and other kinds, specifically Hollows. Quincy powers erase Hollows and Hollow powers seem to have a kind of degrading effect on Quincy. But the weird thing is that Yhwach is evidently fully capable of giving portions of his soul to Arrancar, as it's the only way to explain the powers Ebern (that first guy who fought Ichigo) showed.

    I had a thought that maybe the reason Quincy are affected the way they are by Hollows goes back to the way Yhwach's ability works. Initially what he did was give out a portion of his soul to fill in the gap missing from the recipients own soul. Hollows are spirits who are missing a piece of their souls that is so big that it turns them into a monster, and the way they function is by devouring other souls in a vain attempt to fill that gap (as Rukia described it in the beginning anyway). So what if what happens is that the Hollows soul doesn't just break down Quincy power, but it drains the piece of Yhwach out of the Quincy and kind of consumes it? Perhaps when a Hollow bites a Quincy, the Hollow power they leave behind kind of drinks up Yhwach's power from the Quincy.

    I don't think this would affect Yhwach himself, because when the Quincy dies and the Hollow power dissipates it probably just returns to him afterwards. But anyway, that's one theory.

    Other questions... What the hell is Yhwach? How did the Quincy begin, and the whole concept of halfblood and pureblood? Why are Quincy the opposite of Shinigami?

  2. #2
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    Poland
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    For one thing, I was thinking about the connection between Quincy powers and other kinds, specifically Hollows. Quincy powers erase Hollows and Hollow powers seem to have a kind of degrading effect on Quincy. But the weird thing is that Yhwach is evidently fully capable of giving portions of his soul to Arrancar, as it's the only way to explain the powers Ebern (that first guy who fought Ichigo) showed.
    Hollow reiatsu is a poison to a Quincy, not the other way around. Like with blood types.



    I don't think this would affect Yhwach himself, because when the Quincy dies and the Hollow power dissipates it probably just returns to him afterwards. But anyway, that's one theory.

    Quote Quote:
    Other questions... What the hell is Yhwach? How did the Quincy begin, and the whole concept of halfblood and pureblood? Why are Quincy the opposite of Shinigami?
    He is a god. No origin, he's just awesome from his birth. Ability with unknown origin since his birth despite being human. Embodiment of hax.

  3. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    Hollow reiatsu is a poison to a Quincy, not the other way around. Like with blood types.
    Yeah, but the way Urahara described it was something along the lines of their power and soul eroding away if damaged with Hollow power. So I'm wondering if that's because Hollow power literally swallows up the pieces of Yhwach's soul.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    He is a god. No origin, he's just awesome from his birth. Ability with unknown origin since his birth despite being human. Embodiment of hax.
    Well, I definitely think this may be a possibility, that Yhwach is just some god that was born out of nowhere just 'cos. Just a complete anomaly. But it might run deeper than that, and I say that because Quincy are the polar opposite of Shinigami. Why would that be? I think it may be because Yhwach himself is the opposite of the Soul King. Where the Soul King thrives off souls being cycled and recycled (I'm speculating there) between SS and the WotL, Yhwach thrives off basically feeding off the lives of others. Maybe when we learn more about the SK the parallels will stick out.

  4. #4
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Country
    Poland
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    Yeah, but the way Urahara described it was something along the lines of their power and soul eroding away if damaged with Hollow power. So I'm wondering if that's because Hollow power literally swallows up the pieces of Yhwach's soul.
    If Quincies have Hollow antibodies, contact with Hollow reiatsu would case their reiatsu to attack Hollow reiatsu and the other way around. Someone given wrong blood type will die too, unless it was a small amount.



    Quote Quote:
    Well, I definitely think this may be a possibility, that Yhwach is just some god that was born out of nowhere just 'cos. Just a complete anomaly. But it might run deeper than that, and I say that because Quincy are the polar opposite of Shinigami. Why would that be? I think it may be because Yhwach himself is the opposite of the Soul King. Where the Soul King thrives off souls being cycled and recycled (I'm speculating there) between SS and the WotL, Yhwach thrives off basically feeding off the lives of others. Maybe when we learn more about the SK the parallels will stick out.
    Well, he may be Soul King's opposite, but how did he come to being? Something like there was a 0 at the beggining, that changed into 1 (Soul King) and -1 (Yhwach)? 1+(-1)=0, so it's all the same, but different? Matter and antimatter? :P I still think Juha is SK's and Ishida's child. xd I'll quote myself, I don't want to write it again.

    Quote Quote:
    Dayum, look at him. If his parents were different they would still be alive (Soul King...? xD), his ability can't just be from nothing. I call it first! Juha is a human born from Soul King and a human. Human maybe being Ishida, making Juha an Ishida, and thus explaining Ishida's and Ryuken's immunity to Auswahlen, explaining why Ishida has something like Juha and is the next king of Quincies. And why Ishidas were so hung up on leading Quincies altogether.
    Soul King was not a normal being, thus Juha's inability to speak, hear etc. from birth. Unwanted child, that wasn't supposed to be born and couldn't function properly.

    But theory of Yhwach and SK being opposites is plausible too. They both slept for a while. There's many similarities. Quincies are opposites of Shinigami, so Quincies' leader should be Shiganimis' leader's opposite.
    Last edited by Duniak; February 09, 2014 at 04:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    The Soul King is not the leader of Shinigamis though. He is the leader of souls. Quincies have souls too as they are human and will eventually die, as will Bach. At least I understand it that way.

  6. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    I think the Soul King and Yhwach are opposites that were born at the same time from the same Human mother, caused by some anomaly that occurred before they were born. For those who are going to say "but the Soul King is eons older than Yhwach"...where has that ever been stated? Yhwach's inability to sense anything means that even he doesn't know when he was born.

    As someone started to explain in an earlier post, Yhwach seems to suck in energy (-1) whilst the Soul King emits it (+1), while a Human being is neutral as they're "balanced" (0). It looks like Yhwach and the Soul King are then the result of an unstable Human soul splitting into 2 opposite pieces...
    Predictions
    • Quincies become latent Shinigami when they die, meaning Yhwach is the progenitor of the Shinigami too.
    • The star and name "Quincy" refers to the 5 Royal Guards and the Soul King; this originates in Yhwach wanting to overthrow him.
    • The final battle within the Seireitei will be between Zaraki and Haschwalth.

  7. #7
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member nitsthegame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    India
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    345
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    Other questions... What the hell is Yhwach? How did the Quincy begin, and the whole concept of halfblood and pureblood? Why are Quincy the opposite of Shinigami?
    Most mythologies talk about ying and yang, positive and negative. Therefore, if a soul king exist there had to be some sort of opposite as well


    visit me here

  8. #8
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    17,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Only if that logic applies to the soul king at all.... While the manga has not actually said the soul king is older then juhabach we have the issue of his function. The implication soul far is that the soul king is the one that for some reason holds reality all nice and tight. Urahara made the point that without the soul king everything would crumble. Juhabach holds no function regarding the actual existence of the world. So potentially the king, or his position at least, is as old as the world. If it isn't then the implication is that at some point the world could exist on its own and then for whatever reason the position of king was required. Now, SS's history is extremely long.... the manga has never given a specific number however when talking about it it usually says "a million years of history". Obviously that number would be an exaggeration, at least I doubt the number is entirely accurate, however if we consider that shinigami live for thousands of years and at least yamamoto was already old and powerful 2000 years ago the point to consider here is that by one million years they mean "god damned old". To be honest to me the idea that juhabach is as old as the world or even old enough to have existed for as long as the position of soul king is a tad weird. He was apparently born from either humans or quincy after all....

  9. #9
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yhwach and Quincy Power Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Only if that logic applies to the soul king at all.... While the manga has not actually said the soul king is older then juhabach we have the issue of his function. The implication soul far is that the soul king is the one that for some reason holds reality all nice and tight. Urahara made the point that without the soul king everything would crumble. Juhabach holds no function regarding the actual existence of the world. So potentially the king, or his position at least, is as old as the world. If it isn't then the implication is that at some point the world could exist on its own and then for whatever reason the position of king was required. Now, SS's history is extremely long.... the manga has never given a specific number however when talking about it it usually says "a million years of history". Obviously that number would be an exaggeration, at least I doubt the number is entirely accurate, however if we consider that shinigami live for thousands of years and at least yamamoto was already old and powerful 2000 years ago the point to consider here is that by one million years they mean "god damned old". To be honest to me the idea that juhabach is as old as the world or even old enough to have existed for as long as the position of soul king is a tad weird. He was apparently born from either humans or quincy after all....
    IIRC, Urahara said that the Soul Society would crumble without the Soul King's existence, which could be very different from everything crumbling. The thing is, the Soul Society and the Shinigami .etc. aren't actually needed for the functioning of the world; in fact I believe there were originally only Humans (including Pluses) and Hollows in existence, and the progenitors of the Shinigami and Quincies were each born from one or both of these races. With Yhwach not being able to sense anything when he was born, the point in time and circumstances of his birth are completely up-in-the-air!

    Going by hints given by the Quincy folklore, it could easily be the case that Yhwach was actually born at the same time as the Soul King but didn't even have the ability to think at the time; in other words, he was a vegetable for thousands (or millions) of years until one day his consciousness was repaired (which would be when Yhwach perceived that he was born) followed by his senses and ability to move shortly afterwards...
    Predictions
    • Quincies become latent Shinigami when they die, meaning Yhwach is the progenitor of the Shinigami too.
    • The star and name "Quincy" refers to the 5 Royal Guards and the Soul King; this originates in Yhwach wanting to overthrow him.
    • The final battle within the Seireitei will be between Zaraki and Haschwalth.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts