Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: An open problem: Sokyoku

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

An open problem: Sokyoku

Rukia failed executioner: the angry flaming bird is considered one of the SS hidden treasure or something. Anyway, when the late old Yamamoto told little Shunsui that the monster from a long time ago wouldn't come back again. I wonder whether old Yama concealed a fractional of his power into that bird or it's just a forgotten device which will never show up again because Kubo fails to remember what he introduced a loong time ago.

I realized that I am merely a conscience programmed into a game.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: An open problem

Nah, I don't think yamamoto has anything to do with the sokyoku. The issue here is to whom the sword belonged to and when is he having the sword rebuilt (presumably by nimaiya). I am not sure if the device itself will ever be relevant again though, we can only speculate on what sort of being could plausibly produce such a massive and powerful zampakuto and why in gods name nimaiya would have created it. Considering the context of the manga perhaps the case can be made that nimaiya created it precisely in gods name... The sword of the soul king makes sense however there are a few weird aspects to the idea.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't that sword sealed by Kyoraku and Ukitake?

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it destroyed by Ichigo?

That's how I remember it anyway...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Toby_Temple's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Big fire bird from long long time ago is irrelevant to the story.

It was only a tool to showcase how strong Ichigo became after his first shinigami training.
    NO to KUROSAKI ICHIGO USING a BOW!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Wasn't it destroyed by Ichigo?

That's how I remember it anyway...
    Nah... it was the scaffold that Ichigo destroyed... the thing that held Rukia.

The Sokyoku was sealed off by Ukitake and Kyoraku...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member devstauk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What is disturbing about that Zan thing was if it was something that was meant for executions and had the power of 1million Zan's then WTF would need killing that was indeed that powerful in the 1st place, i mean rukia wasn't exactly the true intended target for it Surely they meant for a greater threat then Rukia's crime.
    Spoiler show

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devstauk View Post
    What is disturbing about that Zan thing was if it was something that was meant for executions and had the power of 1million Zan's then WTF would need killing that was indeed that powerful in the 1st place, i mean rukia wasn't exactly the true intended target for it Surely they meant for a greater threat then Rukia's crime.
    One of the points made during the SS arc was that that particular execution was reserved solely for the worst captain offenses. Even the shinigami were surprised that lowly rukia was sent to that. So yeah, the intended target of that thing is actual captain class shinigami. Of course, rukia was sent there because of aizen, the actual chamber 46 had absolutely nothing to do with that. Of course, even killing captains should be overkill with the sokyoku. I mean, they would be wearing reiatsu blocking stuff anyways and they can ultimately be killed via more standard means which do not require a nuke.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: An open problem: Sokyoku

Exactly so in all extensive purposes the Sokyoku surely has more meaning then just the executions of captain level people, i mean no captain from my understanding has ever done anything that would cause them to be killed by it and they are unlikely to do so due them being officials and higher ups, so then why have such a thing that has the power of 1million Zanpaktous in the 1st place seems a little Ott in my eyes
    Spoiler show

Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it used to be Ichibei's zan, but the man left it behind after becoming the RG.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devstauk View Post
    Exactly so in all extensive purposes the Sokyoku surely has more meaning then just the executions of captain level people, i mean no captain from my understanding has ever done anything that would cause them to be killed by it and they are unlikely to do so due them being officials and higher ups, so then why have such a thing that has the power of 1million Zanpaktous in the 1st place seems a little Ott in my eyes
    More meaning in what way though? In most cases captain class is the strongest any given person can turn. Yamamoto, aizen, juhabach... they exceed the captain class however they too are rare occurrences. I think you are looking at this the wrong way though. That it is used for executions does not necessarily imply it was created for that purpose. That thing is potentially as old as SS, its purpose a million years ago will almost certainly not hold meaning today. Its not like once they have it they would have to destroy it out of not having use for it. Its a powerful, dangerous weapon directly under the supervision of the competent authorities(chamber 46 and the gotei 13, a military organization).

Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

If Kenpachi fails 2nd time against Bach (of course he will), then there is a slim chance that Ukitake uses his bankai to absorb that angry flaming bird in order to fight against the transcendental being. His sickness probably came from abusing his body when he tried to absorb an amount of reishi so big that it damaged his internal organs.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Something that got me thinking about the Sokyoku, Oetsu created the 1st Zanpukto. So maybe the 1st Zan was the Burning Phoenix perhaps Oetsu made it which the soul king recognised as his feat for entry to SP.

Now rolling with that, Yamamoto was the strongest shinigmai, it would be sick if there was some kind of backstory of him training with a smaller version of it but just as strong as the one that was used for executions
    Spoiler show

Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you mean whether Yamamoto used it to fight Bach? If not then to whom did it belong?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of Sōkyoku seems to be to destroy the soul, so that it cannot restore itself and be reborn in the human world, and eventually once again becoming a soul later.
    This is possibly why it's used on the worst of crimes from powerful beeings (Captain classes), in order to make sure this soul won't be reborn into the human world, and eventually back into a soul one day.
    • Crimes made when you are human - You go to hell, forever locking your soul away.
    • Crimes made when you are a soul - You don't go to hell, your soul gets reborn.
    The solution? The Sōkyoku.

Data:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleach Wiki
    As the Sōkyoku activates, emitting an immense amount of flames, it rises into the air, pointing towards the victim, who is held before it by support beams. The flames, enveloping the halberd, reveal its true form; a massive, phoenix-like entity called Kikōō (燬鷇王, Blaze Fledgling King).[3] In this state, the Sōkyoku’s offensive and defensive power is said to be equivalent to that of a million Zanpakutō.[4] As it pierces the victim, this power increases by tenfold, and creates so much heat it vaporizes their soul.
    One source: http://www.mangapanda.com/94-630-20/...apter-176.html
    Other sources according to the Bleach Wiki seems to point to wrong places in the manga, can't i.e. find the "When it pierces, the power is increased by 10 fold", maybe others will have more luck with that if interested.
    Also the translation from mangapanda where Aizen explains it seems a little weak compared to the Wiki explanation, perhaps it's a translation thing? or perhaps just bias on the Wiki.

But a hypothesis could be that the real purpose of the Sōkyoku is to destroy the soul, so it's thrown out of the recycling of souls, essentially "Real Death" in Bleach.
    It may be more mercyfull than to bannish a soul to hell for an eternity however...

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply