Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you all like most about Magi?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ryuusu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you all like most about Magi?

I'm just curious as to some of the reasons as to why people enjoy reading it. For me personally, I love how Ohtaka uses realistic elements into her story, such as economic and racial discrimation, without it sounding odd or too far fetched. It's very different from the usual shounen mangas that I'm used to reading.

Also Magi has never felt predictable to me and I'm always left wondering what's going to happen next. Ohtaka does a wonderful job at leaving readers wanting more.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you all like most about Magi?

I agree with you on that! Magi gives me this "wanting for more" feeling on every chapter release, which is the feeling I felt when reading DGM and SNK before.
    Also, I love how Ohtaka incorporates modern-world issues such as racial discrimination, and relate past events/people into her characters (though most of them are coincidental). Also, she never fails me to give this hate-or-not feeling towards a character (gray characters), for example Cassim and Mogamett...

Speaking of characters, I love Ohtaka's characters that are adorkable (adorable dorks)

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I got into Magi just because I saw how Judar looked and was like must watch. I still like it for him but also for the artists well drawn characters and outfits for them, like Ren Kouha, Alibaba (though I hate his huge boots), and Titus Alexius, Sharkan, Ren Hakuryuu. I think what I like most is the characters and then second to them just the magical rules and such regarding rukh and the black ones, and lastly the mysterious organization behind the scenes. Its pretty good and much better than the terrible political struggles of first part of magi, while the moral gray nature of the Magnoshutatt arc is more of what I lilke.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Personally I got into Magi just because I saw how Judar looked and was like must watch. I still like it for him but also for the artists well drawn characters and outfits for them, like Ren Kouha, Alibaba (though I hate his huge boots), and Titus Alexius, Sharkan, Ren Hakuryuu. I think what I like most is the characters and then second to them just the magical rules and such regarding rukh and the black ones, and lastly the mysterious organization behind the scenes. Its pretty good and much better than the terrible political struggles of first part of magi, while the moral gray nature of the Magnoshutatt arc is more of what I lilke.
    I am giggling so much because I read "huge boots" as "huge boobs".
    And yeah I agree that the character design is pretty neat.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

What I like the most about Magi is the bishies of course
    More seriously I like the story the most. I like how it takes elements from the Arabian nights and develops them into something unique.I was always a big fan of the Arabian nights, ever since I was a kid, and to see some of it stories adapted into a manga, in a new and original way, it's just great. For example the Djinns. Anyone who has seen the Aladdin movie expects to see a huge blue creature, well it is the case in Magi, but then it introduces the Djinn equip concept which I think is a more original way to use Djinns than let's say having a Djinn appear out of a lantern and ask him to fulfill your wishes.
    The other great thing is the characters, and the comedy.Magi excels in that department, compared to other shounens like OP who seem to be a little forced.
    The manga itself is difficult to put in a category.Although it has all the elements that make a shounen, it has some really deep ideas and some disturbing moments. Sometimes I almost feel like I'm reading a seinen. It's much more deeper than most of the shounens that I've read.

9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh the Omakes! I love magi's omakes. They are all enjoyable and worth reading. I agree that MAgi excels in that. Ohtaka's jokes and punchlines are never seemed forced and I never got tired of them all.

11. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I also love how Alibaba happens to almost always be the "victim" of her humor.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The successful fusion of ethics with the fictional world she created. She's managed to do so without making it seem as if she's preaching her personal beliefs to us every chapter like some others writers do. Writers who perhaps write about Shinigami. The comedy is also amazing, as well as the character designs, storyline, and pacing. It would probably be easier for me to explain what I dislike about Magi, which is nothing.

Ah, and actually a close second for my favorite aspect of Magi is the fact that the antagonists have incredible depth and cause you to almost empathize with them. I've been saying for a while that there is no true evil person in Magi, there are simply a series of depraved individuals who became that way due to horrifically tragic pasts. I'd be willing to bet that even less developed characters like Aum Madaura would have been shown to have had awful pasts such as maybe her having had a traumatizing issue with her own mother. And it takes an earth-shattering amount of tragedy to make a psycho like Gyokuen empathetic and even that seems possible now.
    Last edited by obamamania; March 06, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

15. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What i like the most a out magi is the cultural/societal parallels and the structure/organization of the different kingdoms , at first i was totally anti-kou empire b/c of the affiliation with AT

howerver after hearing kouens explanation you kind of understand

My next favorite trait is the household vessel system of power

it reminds me alot of the junctioning system from ffviii
    and i love how household members can assimilate

where ohataka really earns her money is with the character development, she can make every character so unique , complex and they all have their own personalities/flaws

which is always a sign of a good mangaka

last but not least is the art

she can flat out draw, and she never wastes a panel, let alone a chapter

Magi really is at the top of the manga world

17. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Zoro Zoldyck's Avatar
    Country
    Iraq
    Post Thanks / Like

What made fall in love with this Anime or story is how everything is so original.. The art the designs and the idea are all so refreshing and new..
    The Arabian names and occasionally even places or spells named by Arabic words is a nice touch as well and it's just all around great.
    I'm just new to Magi so my opinion might change but I doubt it :P I've been loving Magi especially season 2!

19. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, your opinion will change: for the better. I'm waiting for your name to change the same way Kisame Hoshigaki became REN KOUEN a little while ago =p

21. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obamamania View Post
    I agree, your opinion will change: for the better. I'm waiting for your name to change the same way Kisame Hoshigaki became REN KOUEN a little while ago =p
    yea a few of my naruto buddies noticed the name change and asked

"man WTF" why did you change your name, so at that point i tell them how badass magi and that they have to try it, so far they all said they would but i have no idea if they actually did, i have been private messaging most of the good posters over there and asking them to try the manga since the naruto manga is winding down to the end, even if i only successfully recruit one or two of them it would be awesome to have a few more magi fans posting in this forum

ive been trying to come up with a magi avatar/signature combo, i am still sporting my hxh look, but i will find some good magi stuff in the next few episodes with my boy kouen participating more in the action

23. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member AndieAras26's Avatar
    Country
    Panama
    Post Thanks / Like

I really love magi, and I have a hard time deciding what I like best. I stumbled into magi thanks to a picture of Aladdin and Judal I found in Zerochan years ago.
    When I started reading the manga I never imagined it would turn out the way it is now, but I honestly can't see it any other way. There is just so many great things about this manga.
    The art is beautiful. The character development is amazing, every character is unique and have a background story that gives you a full look into them and, as others have said, it even makes you empathize or at least understand wicked characters like Gyokuen.
    The story has great pace, it's unpredictable but still credible. The parallels it has with the Arabian Nights and the real word give it a nice charm. I like how, even though it's shonen, it has serious, real life problems like racism, politics, religion, social and economic problems, etc.
    Story-wise, it's one of the best I've ever read, entering the group with mangas like FMA.
    All this said, it also has a comical side that is just fantastic XD

This manga is one of the few that leaves me wanting for more every chapter. I wish more people would give it a chance.
    Last edited by AndieAras26; March 13, 2014 at 08:29 PM.

25. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndieAras26 View Post
    I really love magi, and I have a hard time deciding what I like best. I stumbled into magi thanks to a picture of Aladdin and Judal I found in Zerochan.
    When I started reading the manga I never imagined it would turn out the way it is now, but I honestly can't see it any other way. There is just so many great things about this manga.
    The art is beautiful. The character development is amazing, every character is unique and have a background story that gives you a full look into them and, as others have said, it even makes you empathize or at least understand wicked characters like Gyokuen.
    The story has great pace, it's unpredictable but still credible. The parallels it has with the Arabian Nights and the real word give it a nice charm. I like how, even though it's shonen, it has serious, real life problems like racism, politics, religion, social and economic problems, etc.
    Story-wise, it's one of the best I've ever read, entering the group with mangas like FMA.
    All this said, it also has a comical side that is just fantastic XD

This manga is one of the few that leaves me wanting for more every chapter. I wish more people would give it a chance.
    i honestly tried the series because i was all caught up on the other manga's/animes i was following and i was just hungry for a new adventure, i tried a couple of others, and wasnt too thrilled, but then i tried magi, and i fell in love with it during the dungeon arc where aladdin and ali conquered amons dungeon, much like what everyone else said , magi was unique, fresh and just flat out high quality, i liked it so much that i changed my name, and have tried to recruit everyone i can

the household vessel /magoi/ djinn equip system is new and not the same powers that every other anime has

27. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

another thing that made me fell in love with magi is because it had made use of the story of Arabian Nights as reference for the characters.
    Before I started reading Magi, I only knew the story of "Aladdin and the Magic Lamp" as a part of it. I neither have read anything about Arabian nights, nor have any interests with it too. The only mythology that I have in interest that time was about Greek Mythology. When I saw Aladdin meeting with Alibaba, I immediately did my researchs about them as part of Arabian Nights. I even looked for the Djinns names, and they were from Solomon's 72 demons.

Like everybody said, Magi is a fresh start for mythology geeks, especially for me who's only known Greek Mythology for so long. I have always searched for a good manga/anime with such theme, but it was no luck. It's either I'm didn't like the way they implied mythologies on the plot, or it's just I'm getting tired of the repeated stereotype plots... Magi, on the other hand, was not. Whenever a new character is introduced, I always searched for them right away.

Another thing I loved about this manga, is the Foreshadowing. Everything from the very start is related as the story progress. A good example is the foreshadowing about the true nature of the Fanalis. It's a proof that Ohtaka knows what she was doing, and she seemed to have planned everything from the start.

29. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast