Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you all like most about Magi?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you all like most about Magi?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaIkaros View Post
    another thing that made me fell in love with magi is because it had made use of the story of Arabian Nights as reference for the characters.
    Before I started reading Magi, I only knew the story of "Aladdin and the Magic Lamp" as a part of it. I neither have read anything about Arabian nights, nor have any interests with it too. The only mythology that I have in interest that time was about Greek Mythology. When I saw Aladdin meeting with Alibaba, I immediately did my researchs about them as part of Arabian Nights. I even looked for the Djinns names, and they were from Solomon's 72 demons.

Like everybody said, Magi is a fresh start for mythology geeks, especially for me who's only known Greek Mythology for so long. I have always searched for a good manga/anime with such theme, but it was no luck. It's either I'm didn't like the way they implied mythologies on the plot, or it's just I'm getting tired of the repeated stereotype plots... Magi, on the other hand, was not. Whenever a new character is introduced, I always searched for them right away.

Another thing I loved about this manga, is the Foreshadowing. Everything from the very start is related as the story progress. A good example is the foreshadowing about the true nature of the Fanalis. It's a proof that Ohtaka knows what she was doing, and she seemed to have planned everything from the start.
    i went and did a little bit of research on some of the djinns

barbatos for example is the earl and duke of hell, the 8th demon, the lesser key of SOLOMON all from monotheistic/christian/muslim/hebrew mythology

pretty interesting stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbatos

Spoiler show

do we have a dedicated Djinn information thread? if not i think it would be a great stickied thread!!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Cakemastah's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I love how every chapter manages to surprise you and makes you go "what's gonna happen next?", and then leaves you waiting for a week dying from anticipation.

The art is also awesome in such a way that characters can look badass and epic at one time, sweet and kawaii at another and then flat out hilarious with the chibis and triangular faces. The facial expressions in particular kills me.

Also, I think it's really cool how the mangaka manages to include political elements without making it too complicated or boring.

3. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ryuusu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I highly enjoy about Magi that I often take for granted is the pacing. Although I like Magi's second season way more than its first, the pacing is really bothersome to me. I wonder how were the able to wrap up the entire fight against the medium, Gyokuen's true identity, the reappearance of Sinbad and the introduction of the Seven Alliance, Hakuryuu's and Judal's reappearance, Mogamett's message, and Titus' rebirth and more panels all in just two episode? Sounds like a nightmare that I'll end up watching anyway.

Oh and the way she includes various cultures, both human and non human, into the story. I'm a huge culture buff so having it included in a well written action packed story is the best of both worlds to me.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I may get crucified for this but.....

im starting to really like the anime, way more than i used to, if it were not for the minor changes to the canon

i would say my favorite thing about magi, may indeed be...

the anime!!! The action is just awesome, and the drama is enhances and captivating

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuusu View Post
    Another thing I highly enjoy about Magi that I often take for granted is the pacing. Although I like Magi's second season way more than its first, the pacing is really bothersome to me. I wonder how were the able to wrap up the entire fight against the medium, Gyokuen's true identity, the reappearance of Sinbad and the introduction of the Seven Alliance, Hakuryuu's and Judal's reappearance, Mogamett's message, and Titus' rebirth and more panels all in just two episode? Sounds like a nightmare that I'll end up watching anyway.

Oh and the way she includes various cultures, both human and non human, into the story. I'm a huge culture buff so having it included in a well written action packed story is the best of both worlds to me.
    Yes this "season" is what got me hooked in the manga
    everything leading up to, during, and after the magnstadt arc is honestly some of the best material i have read or watched in any manga or anime

period

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blush Re: What do you all like most about Magi?

I agree, there is no other manga that I think about more than Magi. When I was younger and still new to manga and anime, I posted a lot about mostly Bleach and One Piece, but the debates in those forums very often end up negative/argumentive and the subjects are many times based on who would win imaginary matchups or simply the current chapter. There's nothing wrong with that, and those mangas can be good (especially One Piece) but they're very different types of mangas than Magi, For Magi, I enjoy the current chapters but since everything from start to finish is always so relevant and important it feels like I'm always discussing the manga as a whole. In other mangas I can look back 100-200 chapters at a panel and think "oh wow, maybe this was planned all along somewhat" but in this manga there isn't even a question on how well things have been planned and foreshadowed. Maybe we should start a "Magi plotholes" thread like other sections have, I'm sure it will be a rather vacant thread because I really can't think of any that matter.
    Last edited by obamamania; March 17, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

9. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I've noticed about Magi, that most of us may not notice, is the way Ohtaka handles the emotion of her characters.
    Magi is full of bishies (and we all know that), from Sinbad to Kouen, then there's Muu, Alibaba, Sharrkan, Titus, and even Olba and Aladdin, and now Solomon! But even if they are all so beautiful and have the face of perfection, whenever there are action and drama scenes, Ohtaka manages to show the emotion. I've observed other shonen manga made by women, when a character feels agitated or cornered, or sad, or angered, they seem to have the same face. I've been fond of observing every detail each chapter has, and the way Ohtaka drew the emotion is the first one I came to notice.

Ohtaka's artstyle is really beautiful, though somewhat messy. I remembered a time when I introduce the manga to a friend, he just said that the art style was awful, and that really made me mad. Magi's art style is simple and quite unique from the others, and I love it.

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Veneficae's Avatar
    Country
    Sudan
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I could add to what all of you said
    I love how everything flow naturally not feeling forced or the author is pushing the story to go as she pleased.
    The themes were handled do well, for example I loved how the magicians of Alma Toran turn into during 800 years, I was like "Yup, that's exactly what would have happened in real world".
    The ideologies always force me to stop and think about it.
    Ohtaka respect the minds of her readers .

13. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ryuusu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I criticize the anime a lot, but without it I would have most likely never of heard of Magi and would have missed the chance to meet some amazing people so thank you A1. And many thanks to Ohtaka of course.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh god, where to start...

I adore the art. The way Ohtaka handles lighting, metal objects, and abstract art is fantasic. There are alot of panels that make me think of berserk for some reason. I love the cultural variety with everything, as well as all of the djinn equip designs, especially Mu's (...too awesome...). And who could forget her amazing chibi's and troll faces?

The story is EXTREMELY well structured and thought out. I mean holy hell, the forshadowing is insane. Right from volume 3 with Ugo calling Aladdin "my king". And with the early mentionings of the torran language. Everything seems like it was mapped out from the get go. Which i hugely appreciate.

The world building is incredible. Rarely do you get so much insight and detail into the economical specifics of various important and interesting countries (especially in shonen). The world building extends into the awesome explanation behind the concept, execution, and development of magic. You litteraly get a detailed constanly expanding view on its properties and how it effects the entire world. Much better than say fairy tail, even supperior to berserks magic mechanics IMO. Finally, the history of the world, various dimentions and the multiversal scope are insanely fun to read about.

Finally, the characters are a sheer blast to behold. between Aladdins mysterious past, Alibaba's political battles and ongoing mental growth, Morgiana's admiration and dedication towards her loved ones, and Sinbads aura of sheer badassness. Every character is unique. The side characters get proper development, screentime, and backround. Character interactions are top notch, everyone adresses others in a way one would expect of each character to based on their quirks and personalities. It all seems so natural. And the emotional impact given by characters like Mogamett and Titus made me tear up from time to time. Really powerful emotional stuff.

I could go on about the mature themes of povery, racism, fate, and stuff like that. But i believe i've talked enough.

Shinobu Ohtaka is a phenomenal writer and magi is my favorite series for so many reasons! I truly love the series!

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2