Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 55 Discussion/Chapter 56 Predictions

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BobobVanBlob's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 55 Discussion/Chapter 56 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    It's odd that Armin would say something like "We're not good guys any more." considering the fact that when he spoke to Annie before she was captured he basically said that a "good person" was just a matter of perspective.
    A good person is just a matter of perspective, if you do something good for someone, it may be a bad thing for someone else, they now have to fight against other people and not titans (which are made out of people but it's not the point here), it doesn't conflict with his beliefs, it even develops it more if you take it this way.

They could be considered as good people before, but now humans are involved so it's not possible.

And since some people have brought up Armin's parents/grandfather let me just remind you guys that this was covered in Volume 4. Armin clearly stated that his parents were sacrificed as a part of the "reclamation" effort after the first wall was breached and roughly 20% of the population was intentionally sent to die against the titans because there wasn't enough resources to go around.
    I'm pretty sure one time Armin said that his parents were going to explore the outside world. Problem, I don't remember when, does he say that in an official translation or a scanlation? Because I don't believe scanlations that much anymore.
    WAHAHA~ My anime list - - tsil agnam yM ~AHAHAW

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Armin, I'm not sure why you guys think he would get more support after the molestation incident. I mean, in the last chapter we at least see everyone sort of talking to him and Jean with his hand on his shoulder. That's a hell of a lot more than Historia got after she revealed her childhood horror story. Overall I'd say most of the main cast are pretty emotionally distant and detached at this point from one another.
    Yes, thank you, that's what I was trying to say about not seeing them trying to comfort him unless it's "off-screened" and even then, not likely. There's too much emotional distance between them for it to happen (in this series).

Quote Quote:
    That's one of the things I REALLY hate about this story arc: the fact that the development of relationships between characters have been swept under the rug in favor of rapid plot advancement. The closest we got to anything of the sort was Eren telling History that he previously disliked her but now has something to like about her and the conversation Erwin and Nile had in the carriage.
    I wasn't expecting more closeness between them all, generally speaking (though I'd gladly have made an exception and welcomed it for Historia and Armin's cases).

Quote Quote:
    Speaking of Historia, I wonder if she will really be content to become a puppet. Doing so seems like something the old Historia would do: sacrifice herself for the good of everyone else. Her new outlook doesn't seem to be so self-sacrificing but at the same time she doesn't seem to have much direction in life at the moment either.
    As some of us discussed earlier, I doubt she'll be all that happy about the idea but I think Demonspeed said the same thing as you, about how she's got little else driving her at this point. So she might be open to trying it out on those grounds. She certainly has no compelling reason to stand in the way of the SL at the present time, so if she's going to become a "traitor" to the current king anyway, she might as well go all the way. I don't think she'll be willing to be a "puppet" monarch though. That's the interesting part. She's just found the freedom to be who she really is. That might motivate her to be a properly invested and committed ruler.

Quote Quote:
    And since some people have brought up Armin's parents/grandfather let me just remind you guys that this was covered in Volume 4. Armin clearly stated that his parents were sacrificed as a part of the "reclamation" effort after the first wall was breached and roughly 20% of the population was intentionally sent to die against the titans because there wasn't enough resources to go around.
    But what if they pulled the balloon stunt during the "wall reclamation" mission?

Quote Quote:
    One final thought. I hope Hanji's enthusiasm for torture was an act otherwise it drastically lowers my opinion of her.
    I'm reasonably confident it was. I think the more telling occasion was back when Hange learned that titans were human at their core and was shown to feel bad about experimenting on them. That said, prior to the "real" torture, the nail removal/punching bag treatment (courtesy of Levi) was clearly all about revenge. That disappointed me in and of itself.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ToriLynn's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

since some people are talking about Armin's parents, and whether or not they were the one's in the balloon, let me just say this: it may or may not be his parents. if it's important enough, or ties in with the plot, Isayama will mention more about it later on in the manga. but if or when that happens, we never know if it's his parents

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    I wasn't expecting more closeness between them all, generally speaking (though I'd gladly have made an exception and welcomed it for Historia and Armin's cases).
    Aside from closeness I just want more interaction in general between them which we seem to be getting less and less of. It's like Isayama sort of teased us with that one scene where they were taking the supplies into the cabin and Sasha was stealing potatoes etc. but after that it's like he's put 100% of his focus on moving the plot forward. I mean, even in piss poor mangas with no character development there is a ton of interacting between the characters and you know exactly what character A's relationship with character B is but in this story arc there's practically none of that so far.

Quote Quote:
    But what if they pulled the balloon stunt during the "wall reclamation" mission?
    Possible but unlikely imo. I think if there is some huge plot reveal about Armin's parents it will be done more deliberately.

Quote Quote:
    That said, prior to the "real" torture, the nail removal/punching bag treatment (courtesy of Levi) was clearly all about revenge. That disappointed me in and of itself.
    Yeah, I know Hange was upset about what happened to Pastor Nick but I figured she'd be above such things as tormenting someone for revenge. And Levi, I figure he'd be too pragmatic to indulge in something like that. Though I do think they roughed up Sannes (was that his name?) to sort of mentally unhinge his partner (who must have heard the screams, seen the nails on the plate etc.) before making him read the note that caused Sannes to spill it.
    Last edited by kannazuki; March 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Anonymis's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobobVanBlob View Post
    Armin's grandpa was sent out during the operation to reconquer Wall Maria, therefore, I would say no, this guy seems mostly to be here as an explanation for the lack of semi-autos weapons. But we can assume the couple are Armin's parents, it seems really close to their potential level of education and what Armin said about them.

There also would be no more plot... I think Isayama pretty much made his point in it.

Yeah, you summed up Gesumin, it's everything creepy about Erwin and Hange in one person.

Papa Reiss didn't seemed happy to see the MP disguised in Mafiosi come in an slit the throat of his mistress, they may have used Geographia and the Reiss as a way to get the power in their own hands.

The Game of Thrones has just started !

For Sannes'torture, I would just say that the other guy spilled the beans (not his spaghetti, like Mikasa, note to myself, I sould stop lurking on /a/, and come on, this whole spaghetti thing is really far fetched) quickly and they came to an agreement, the knife was just to make sure he would fulfil his part of the agreement.

Your theories seems interesting and you raise some good points.

My theory about the next chapters is : MP brats, soon ? Pretty soon please ? Yes ? No ? One day ?

And for the Levi in class part, I would say "NO", definitely no, Levi lived in the underground city and if Erwin and Levi were supposed to know each other they would have stated it in the prequel/spin-off be it the manga or VN.

Welcome to Mangahelpers, the survival rate is around 50% for the first year, but after that, the survival rate goes around 90%.

You have all my respect.

Seriously, welcome and have fun.
    I see… I knew there were some things I've missed. Well, it's just that, when you read a manga, you understand the history/what happened/what you read and then you accept before you read the next page. That's the thing. I seemed to have remembered he lost his grandpa, but I can't remember much how or when (I remember Hannes talking about him, so thinking back, maybe that's just it - he dead as a military man!)

I think "no plot" would be too strong a word. I think it's more like it would be the best ending for him to figure out (considering he dismissed the whole "kill'em all massacre" that he initially planned). It would be a great sequel to SnK had it already ended or will end soon; I mean imagine Irvin flying an airship, expanding Historia's empire. lolza

Haha I thought so! (about gesumin!) I remember seeing Isayama's twitter (translated by a fan) that he didn't know what to do with gesumin. Now we know.

No, of course not. As a matter of fact, I think he may have struck a deal in the past which he thought that the MP would keep their word to; however, Papa Reiss may have gone too far with his mistress, which then made MP angry or something, so they wanted to kill Historia and her mom. Geographia, guilty about it, decided to try and mend her ways; it's probably why she's trying to teach Historia things, even if she bumps her head and forget her memories. Also, not to mention, she may have been related to the Reiss as well (in a way); for all you know, she could've been their great-grandmother!!! xD

Oh, is that so? I just find the whole "opened door, Sannes listening, knife over his neck" seems too deliberate to not noticed. That's why. But never mind. hehe

Thank you. I took Literature in college for my A levels, so I have this urge to review and criticise everything hehe

Levi in the class no!? Well, maybe Isayama did it as a fan service and trying to tease us in a way. And no, I just thought that maybe Levi may have known Irvin but he probably ran off from everyone before anyone knew him or something. Come to think of it, Levi does seem like the type who won't like to talk around with people. lolza

Lolza on the survival rate. It sounds just as hard as surviving in SnK. haha!!!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from closeness I just want more interaction in general between them which we seem to be getting less and less of. It's like Isayama sort of teased us with that one scene where they were taking the supplies into the cabin and Sasha was stealing potatoes etc. but after that it's like he's put 100% of his focus on moving the plot forward. I mean, even in piss poor mangas with no character development there is a ton of interacting between the characters and you know exactly what character A's relationship with character B is but in this story arc there's practically none of that so far.
    It seems to me (and I don't see this as either a good thing or a bad thing), Isayama leans toward having more action whenever he can. He'll have more character interaction eventually, but right now the tension is supposed to be rising as they prepare for the upcoming (planned to be) deathless-but-not-bloodless conflict.

Quote Quote:
    Possible but unlikely imo. I think if there is some huge plot reveal about Armin's parents it will be done more deliberately.
    Just a thought.

Quote Quote:
    Yeah, I know Hange was upset about what happened to Pastor Nick but I figured she'd be above such things as tormenting someone for revenge. And Levi, I figure he'd be too pragmatic to indulge in something like that. Though I do think they roughed up Sannes (was that his name?) to sort of mentally unhinge his partner (who must have heard the screams, seen the nails on the plate etc.) before making him read the note that caused Sannes to spill it.
    If Levi's past from ACWNR is any indication, he's not one to be above roughing people up to fulfill a sense of revenge-based-"justice." It's more Hange that I was surprised about there, and I might be wrong but I even had the impression Levi was just going along with what Hange wanted there. But it's also possible it could have been part of an act to intimidate the other guy, as mentioned above.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Anonymis's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

If Levi's past from ACWNR is any indication, he's not one to be above roughing people up to fulfill a sense of revenge-based-"justice." It's more Hange that I was surprised about there, and I might be wrong but I even had the impression Levi was just going along with what Hange wanted there. But it's also possible it could have been part of an act to intimidate the other guy, as mentioned above.
    But it seems that he is one to hold a grudge.
    Spoiler: A Choice With No Regrets spoilers show

I know this sounds lame, but Capricorns like Levi are apparently practical but they also hold a grudge. I know horoscopes are nothing… but they help constitute and form a picture of their personality (and by far, Levi showing these traits). For example, take a look at the positive/negative traits of Capricorn:

POSITIVE:
    • Practical
    • Ambitious
    • Prudent
    • Disciplined
    • Patient
    • Cautious

He is prudent, he is practical, he is disciplined (and he does discipline others), he is cautious and patient.
    • Pessimistic
    • Stubborn
    • Shy
    • Self-centred
    • Detached
    • Moody

Those negative traits sure looked bits and pieces like him (I wouldn't say he's shy, but he is reserved. As for self-centred, I don't think that's right…)
    • You may find the men born under the Zodiac Sign Capricorn somewhat cold, detached and emotionally aloof. But it is their way of protecting themselves from emotional pain and agony. They will gradually open up, express their love and affection and share their experiences, provided they you have given them enough reasons to trust your sincerity.
    • However, because they live such a guarded life, people find it very difficult to connect with them on an emotional level. Therefore, their longing for love, respect, and appreciation many a times goes unfulfilled.
    • They are friendly and love to converse with people but expecting them to be party animals would be too much. Even when they are at the social gatherings they are a likely to be calm and well-behaved lot, rather than the over-the-top and flamboyant types.
    • Often admired for their logical, rational thinking and simple outlook towards life, the Capricorn men are generous and wise. Their concepts are pretty simple and clear and these men will consciously try not to complicate matters. They will channelise their energies in the right direction and come up with practical, acceptable solutions.
    • For Capricorn men, relationships are an obligation they take very seriously. They will commit to a relationship, be it a romantic one or a friendship, only if they feel they can give their best to it. There will never be half-hearted attempts from the Capricorn males.
    • These men work with single minded devotion, give all that they can to reach their goals and have a life they have always dreamed of leading. The Capricorn men are ambitious, extremely patient, often quite successful and will rarely shout from the rooftops about their each and every accomplishment.

He is emotionally cold, detached and aloof. He is definitely NOT over-the-top and flamboyant, yet he has a neurotic obsession to clean, which makes him appear that way?

Anyways, it is common that Capricorns hold grudges: "Capricorn seems to be the sign that carries the most resentment. Resentment involves not just sensitivity, but a judgmental nature. Capricorn loves authority and is known for its ambition. Whatever the lot in life, Capricorn sees itself at the top of the ladder, whether the ladder is in a corporation, restaurant, store or hot dog stand. By punishing others through denying company and conversation (i.e., “the cold shoulder”), Capricorn willingly creates self-imposed isolation. Isolation can lead to loneliness which leads to more resentment. […] It’s simply saying that those who harbor grudges as a form of punishment may be influenced by this complex and judgmental sign."

He definitely seem to resent what Irvin did to him (I would resent him too if Irvin did the same thing to me, but I won't go far as to "kill" him!).

As for Hange, she is a Virgo. And they're mostly perfectionist. Even if Hange does end up holding a grudge over what happened to Pastor Nick, she would like to execute her revenge in the most perfect way. She did say so to Sannes.

WAIT! Just how far did I go into discussing the whole horoscope personality and traits thing!? xD OMG!

orz
    Last edited by kannazuki; March 12, 2014 at 06:12 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymis View Post
    But it seems that he is one to hold a grudge.
    I didn't say he wasn't. I said he was. (I was emphasizing a negation of the idea that he is "above" holding a grudge. I'm sorry if that complicated things.)

It's possible Isayama referenced the Western zodiac while creating his characters, but the passages you quoted don't say much about openly seeking a violent revenge, as opposed to covertly seeking a subtler form of revenge based on social isolation or whatever. If he did reference them, assuming what he read was consistent with this, perhaps he departed at times from what was there (for example I agree Levi isn't self-centred really).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

guys i have a question and it might sound stupid: what is a gesumin?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToriLynn View Post
    I believe it's a combination of gesui (ゲスい) + Armin.
    Spoiler: originally from chapter 49 show
    Last edited by nesean; March 12, 2014 at 09:56 AM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkLordOfKichiku's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobobVanBlob View Post
    Papa Reiss didn't seemed happy to see the MP disguised in Mafiosi come in an slit the throat of his mistress, they may have used Geographia and the Reiss as a way to get the power in their own hands.
    That's an interesting thought... If the Reiss family aren't those who hold the true power despite being the royal family... Who is it then? The MP? The Wall Cult? The other noble families? The rest of the Royal Goverment/The officals? Or some more anonymous faction inside of Wall Sina? Well, all these would have some reason to want to control the King, considering Wall Sina seems to be something of a boiling pot of selfishness from what we've seen so far...

Quote Originally Posted by ToriLynn View Post
    When Isayama first drew Armin's face like that (in the picture you see in nesean's post), Isayama apaprently called this Armin "Gesumin" on his blog (Gesu meaning "lowlife" in japanese)...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me (and I don't see this as either a good thing or a bad thing), Isayama leans toward having more action whenever he can. He'll have more character interaction eventually, but right now the tension is supposed to be rising as they prepare for the upcoming (planned to be) deathless-but-not-bloodless conflict.

Just a thought.

Spoiler show

I also got the impression Levi just did what Hange wanted/needed.
    Last edited by riccaXX; March 12, 2014 at 05:26 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/55/2288/31
    is this erwin's father in the top panel?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duc :D View Post
    http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/55/2288/31
    is this erwin's father in the top panel?
    Yes, that was my immediate assumption anyway since it not only looks like him (if somewhat emaciated) but he's also called a teacher. The identities of the guy with the gun and the couple (that may or may not be Armin's parents) with the hot air balloon are less certain, however.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nesean View Post
    Spoiler: originally from chapter 49 show
    how come that picture looks different from this one?
    Spoiler show

Thread Closed
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast