Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

  1. #16
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rica_Patin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Posts
    557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Yes, Misses TVTropes, I am well-aware of what they're called. Still doesn't change the fact that a lot of stuff from HxH is outright ripping off other manga. Even the Japanese readers have acknowledged this a long time ago. Don't get so defensive. There's nothing really wrong with this via the way Togashi executes it.

    So no matter how much you want to spout your TVTropes knowledge, I'll still continue to use the phrase "rip-off."
    You are wrong, but that's okay.
    If any manga can be attacked for "ripping off" it sure as hell isn't HxH.

  2. #17
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    France
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Yes, Misses TVTropes, I am well-aware of what they're called. Still doesn't change the fact that a lot of stuff from HxH is outright ripping off other manga. Even the Japanese readers have acknowledged this a long time ago. Don't get so defensive. There's nothing really wrong with this via the way Togashi executes it.

    So no matter how much you want to spout your TVTropes knowledge, I'll still continue to use the phrase "rip-off."
    Honestly I think saying Togashi is ripping off is too radical. Many authors use others works in their own manga and when you are able to use them and create a good character I think it's enough, Meruem may be a "rip off" of Cell but their characters are not the same, Sasuke is said to be "rip off" of Kurapika but they are different in many ways. Would you say Goku is a rip off of Sun Wukong as well? hAnts are and Cell saga are completely different.

    And for that Yu Gi Oh reference you are talking about, do you know Kazuki has been inspired by Araki's JJBA to create the Shadow Duels? , Yami's attire looks like Jotaro's too. Yet he created his own system and YGO became a popular series.

    There are many similarities in manga of the same genre anyway.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

  3. #18
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rica_Patin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Posts
    557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    Sasuke is said to be "rip off" of Kurapika but they are different in many ways.
    Not really. Sasuke is just a mashup of Kurapika and Killua but incredibly poorly written and much more edgy.
    Last edited by Rica_Patin; March 18, 2014 at 02:53 PM.

  4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #19
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    And for that Yu Gi Oh reference you are talking about, do you know Kazuki has been inspired by Araki's JJBA to create the Shadow Duels? , Yami's attire looks like Jotaro's too. Yet he created his own system and YGO became a popular series.
    I'm going to get to the rest of your post later, but you're wrong. Kazuki was inspired by JJBA for use of Stands and took a spin on the concept during the World of Memory arc. And Yugi and Jotaro have similar outfits because they're both dressed in typical Japanese boys school uniform attire. That's like saying Guile from Street Fighter looks like G.I. Joe because they're both in military uniforms.

  6. #20
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    France
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    I'm going to get to the rest of your post later, but you're wrong. Kazuki was inspired by JJBA for use of Stands and took a spin on the concept during the World of Memory arc. And Yugi and Jotaro have similar outfits because they're both dressed in typical Japanese boys school uniform attire. That's like saying Guile from Street Fighter looks like G.I. Joe because they're both in military uniforms.
    Even if you say this, it's clear he has been inspired by Araki. Is YGO a rip off of JoJo then? No. Jotaro and Yami's outfits may be classical delinquents outfits but of all delinquents outifts I have seen, they look the most similar(Jotaro's chain and the Millenium Puzzle make the resemblance even more striking), they are not comparable to Kakyoin or Yusuke or many other delinquents.

    Guile IS Stroheim .
    Last edited by Demonspeed; March 18, 2014 at 03:05 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

  7. #21
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Fuyuki City
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what I think will happen in the next arc [manga spoilers]

    Moderator message by: kindredxiuxiu
    This topic is getting a liiiiittle off topic from Hunter x Hunter, so could we should back to that, yeah? Thanks~


    That said... Togashi is already leading into the next arc. I think Gon, Ging, and Kurapika will be involved in some way or another. I'm curious which side they'll all take. I'd be curious to see if Gon or Ging or both side with Beyond or with the Hunter Association. Or if Kurapika will. I think it's more likely with Kurapika, though.

    I think Killua's on the bus for a while.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts