Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Introduction to Otome Games

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Introduction to Otome Games

Hi, everyone! I figure that to help you know more about visual novel, I’ll give some info about otome game.

So basically, otome game is a game targeted towards female, as the name has pointed out so clearly (otome=girl). Otome games are not strictly comprised of visual novels alone, they can also be dating sims, but the majority are in the form of visual novel, so… yeah. Otome games are available for some platforms, like PC, PSP, NDS/3DS, or Android.
    “What is so special about otome game?,” you may ask. Well, before I move on, why don’t I show you the beauty of otome games:

Spoiler: A feast your eyes! show

You see those handsome 2D guys? They are the main selling point of otome games. So you see, otome game is about you playing as the main female character and pursue (one of) those handsome 2D guys who are available. Well, sometimes there are also available female characters to pursue, either for mere friendship or yuri. Generally, playing otome games is not difficult, so you don’t really need any pointers for that.

When it comes to otome games, the artwork is a big thing. You won’t go play pursuing characters that you can barely look at, right? Therefore, many otome games have totally handsome (or beautiful) male characters. The voice actors are also part of the consideration. Many popular otome games have the characters fully-voiced, so you can feel as if the characters are really talking to you. Of course, when you have handsome guys, you also want their voice to be equally handsome, right? Oh, you also have to watch out for the ratings. Rating 18+ can be rather… um, hardcore, I tell you.

Otome games are insanely popular in Japan, which lead to some of the popular ones getting adapted into anime/manga. You may have heard or watched or read titles like Hakuouki, Uta no Prince sama, Starry Sky, La Corda D’Oro, and Diabolik Lovers. Yes, they are originally otome games!

Now that you know a bit about otome game, you want to start to play! Good! There are bad news and good news, though. The bad news is that otome game is not that well-known in the western sphere of the world, so unless you possess the Japanese language skill, it will be hard for you to play those popular and beautiful otome games. Don’t be too sad though since the good news is that at least, Hakuouki is already translated and localized into US by Aksys Games for PSP and 3DS. For other popular otome games, some groups are already working on fanmade English patches! You have to be patient though since the work progress is slow. A fanmade English patch for Starry Sky in Spring is already available for several years. Oh, and also there are otome games in English that you can find online (either for free or for a price). Maybe they’re not as complex or popular as the Japanese ones, but they are easier and also fun to play! If you want to start small and you have Android, I suggest you start looking in AppStore. Some otome games are available there, like Shall We Date? and Be My Princess. There are also a number of English otome games for PC like Nachtigal, Always Remember Me and X-Note.

If you want to check out the list of english otome games, you can find it here: English Otome Games

I think that’s all for now from me; it’s already long enough. If you still have some questions to ask about otome games, or you just want to discuss about anything related to otome games here, you are very, very welcome!
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; March 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Introduction to Otome Games

I love Otome games, though Ive mainly on been on their anime due to lack of time to game.

Personal favorites are Hakuoki, UtaPri, Arcana Famiglia, and Diabolik Lovers.

Im glad Idea Factory International is setup here in the US now, last I checked they were looking to bring out an Amnesia game for us. I hope they do it as I need that Toma!

I also want that Hakuoki set in school on Vita...and Norn9.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    I love Otome games, though Ive mainly on been on their anime due to lack of time to game.
    Me too, though in my case it is due to lack of money.

Personal favorites are Hakuoki, UtaPri, Arcana Famiglia, and Diabolik Lovers.
    I love Hakuouki too! It's my number one favorite.
    Recently I've fallen in love with Ken ga Kimi... Currently it is my second favorite.
    I feel conflicted about Diabolik Lovers. My morally good side is horrified but my psychopathic side is laughing at glee.

Im glad Idea Factory International is setup here in the US now, last I checked they were looking to bring out an Amnesia game for us. I hope they do it as I need that Toma!
    That's an amazing news indeed... If only I can play it..
    Eh, you like Toma? You're into... that kind of thing?

I also want that Hakuoki set in school on Vita...and Norn9.
    Hakuouki SSL, right? I want that too... I want to see Hijikata-san as a teacher. And this time there will be nothing tragic (I think) so I have high hopes for this game.
    The reviews I read about Norn9 is not that positive, so I'm not excited about it. But I have to say, I love its soundtracks that are sung by yanagi nagi. They are beautiful songs.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know they were doing Brother's Conflict.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know they were doing Brother's Conflict.
    Ah yes. Lately, there has been a surge in otome games translation. But we have to wait for a little while.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Ah yes. Lately, there has been a surge in otome games translation. But we have to wait for a little while.
    Waitings not bad if we get them after all, but yeah I do hope we get more. My psp is broken so I cant play any of the ones the people are doing on psp sadly

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

An English patch for Starry Sky ~After Spring~ was out!

Oh, and there's going to be a project to make an English patch for Ken ga Kimi... I can't wait for that one!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive always wanted to play starry sky.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Starry Sky is actually not that great plotwise, but lots of famous seiyuu. I also love some characters like Suzuya and Miyaji...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think tomorrow at anime expo (here in the us) theyre supposed to be announcing an otome game, cant wait.

New Reply