Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo

View Poll Results: Rate the Dressrosa arc!

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

49 80.33%
  • Mediocre

10 16.39%
  • Awful

2 3.28%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dressrosa Arc - Grading and Commentary

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Dressrosa Arc - Grading and Commentary

Well it is a general Dressrosa arc thread, but well it's not just about discussion on EVERYTHING in this arc, that too, but more importantly is to give a reason why Dressrosa is good,bad, mediocre to you, what point of it do you think influence further development, what kind of things made it happen. Basically getting to the core of Dressrosa and grade it as an arc, as we are somewhere in the center or well "in medias res" of whats going on on this island. How will it effect things?

Story wise, character wise and theory wise what did we get form this arc?

For me the evident parallels to Alabasta stood out a lot, I think a lot of out of the blue things happened like Sabo, CP0 and Big Mom that kind of confuse me in this arc, yet for some I do see the importance, but still they were a bit ... hm, strange to say the least. What did you think about this arc? How would you rate it? What did you like/did not like? What caught your attention?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dressrosa Arc - Grading and Commentary

This arc is great. I think it will be the most important arc, in that it will set Luffy's footprint in the New World, especially considering the notion that he will be probably saving a bunch of famous characters. In addition, destroying the factory will throw the new world big names in a frenzy.

Overall, I just like the entire theme of the arc, and the fact that there is so much going on, in regards to action, characters, history (celestial dragons), new admiral, fighting a very well known shichibukai, CPO, Reintroduction of Sabo and Kaola (revolutionaries), BARTOLOMEO (who is one of my favorite characters now) So, yes, I absolutely love the arc.

A+

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Great arc to me as well. Great storytelling. I'm quite amazed that Oda still manages to save some individual space for every strawhat even though they are so numerous and even though each of them keeps limited abilities, and without stalling the story. I'm also amazed by the fact everything remains unpredictable and consistent at the same time. This is the best current manga by far.

Dofla's character had been hyped a lot throughout the manga. It's really interesting to see how deep his connections may go (getting his hands on the fire fruit without even bothering to use it, CP0, world nobles), his wide army of weird subordinates (especially Sugar and Caesar), and of course his own traits and strength. He's basically controlling a whole country with little to no effort.

On a side note, the CP0 guys look a lot like Pica, Diamante and Trebol disguised, so it might be nothing more than a trick, but still.

A new admiral has been introduced, we can see all kinds of haki being used in an actual fight without any of them being over or underpowered, we also get to see some pawns from the revolutionaries (Sabo!!), from Blackbeard, we see Kuzan's whereabouts. And we will maybe learn more about Big Mom.

On top of that, we have a civil war about to take place, in a very different way from Alabasta, Skypiea or more recently Fishman Island, with a few flashbacks to explain what's going on with the Riku family and the Tontattas.

Crazy density. There's basically no weak point in this arc.

The only thing we can reasonably guess is the good guys having no chance on their own, and the strawhats doing the job by themselves, celebrating with a party, and fleeing away to go for a new adventure.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For Dressrosa..
    I feel like it's a great arc. Everyone is getting an opportunity to grow. I think Luffy will have to beat Doflamingo to safely get off the island. So it leaves a large footprint for his reputation in the New World. We have Zoro fighting a fruit user who has an ability unlike any he's seen. Not just a simple logia or swordsman. We have Nami, Sanji and Brook encountering Big Mom somewhere in the New World. Oda has left this in the dark for some reason. I see that either they will have a relationship with Big Mom that isn't completely kill-on-sight -OR- maybe they successfully retaliated. Who knows.
    From here I don't think Kyros is a serious match for Doflamingo. I feel like once the fighting starts his role is going to be more along the lines of securing the hostage situation. I am not saying Kyros isn't strong. I just feel like if he's the one who fights Doflamingo then how will Luffy grow?
    As for Usopp.. he has the most room for growth and I think he's about to net the SH pirates a bunch of badass allies. I also feel like when Cavendish is turned back maybe he will stop hating Luffy similar to how Don Chinjao did.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say A+ but I just feel like it's moving a tad bit slow. With other chapters like the Alabasta chapter I felt like every chapter was ended on an interesting point but also had it's own elements of action. For now I want to give this chapter an A until the cards fall.

We still don't know what's going on with Sanji. We don't know what's going on with Zorro and I really don't want to say it's an A+ and get disappointed (which Oda has never done so far). I also really don't want to see Usopp get massacred and then have Sugar turn into a good person (I really like her as a pure villain).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

It's choking on flashbacks, but otherwise it's fantastic. As for Sanji, I believe he's gone for the rest of the arc. Weird that Oda threw him and several other Straw Hats out of the picture just like that, but one thing for sure: we won't see them again until things in Dressrosa are fixed. Maybe not even until the rest of the crew makes it to Zou.
    Last edited by Zeta42; March 24, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not much of a fan of the arc to be honest. It feels kinda dragged out and I get the impression certain developments made little sense.

The first thing I dislike about the arc is kyros. Even now he does not feel interesting and his actual introduction had less impact than it should have. His actual design is boring too and I can't say oda has gotten me interested in his backstory. dunno, it kinda feels like he does not add much.

Then there is the dwarfs. Worst characters I have ever seen. Oda portrays them as nice but gullible critters that are being abused by doflamingo however from where I stand they just seem stupid and borderline inbreed or something. They are incapable of telling on their own that they are being fooled, their stupidity is so extreme I kinda feel they deserve the abuse. I know thats wrong but everything that is supposed to be good about them ultimately comes down to them being stupid and unfit to make their own decisions.

Then there is ussop. I don't even care if he actually gets to sugar, he bailed on his comrades like a coward and only came back because the alternative was to live with the death of everyone there. Ussop is supposed to be a great warrior of the sea, he shouldn't back down. His captain certainly wouldn't. I could understand ussop being a dirty fighter and going for groinkicks and deception. I would even respect that and he perhaps does all those things. But the issue here is that for a moment he actually bailed on everyone, he had effectively abandoned everyone. I hated ussop in part one because he was cowardly and useless and fought luffy over merry.... I came to like the characters after his performance against the fishman army however now we are back to part one.

Now, there are good points to the arc. The colloseum is a grey area because there is good and bad to it. It was too long and too many characters were introduced. I don't think there was a need for the fight to be that long. In turn there were some good fights, luffy vs chinjao was awesome IMO. Luffy's first fight in the new world against someone with actual power....

Sanji has been awesome in the arc. He lost against doflamingo but that is to be expected.... And seeing him asking for permission to counterattack against big mom was outright epic and perhaps one of my favorite moments in the manga.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Eyrie
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't decide for now, I have to wait until the end of this arc to judge.
    But until this very moment, Dressrosa Arc is amazing.
    All the new characters are wisefully chosen. Bartolomeo the fan boy, the return of ''Sabo'' (not confirmed yet), the new admirals, Doflamingo's crew with the craziest abilities ...
    There are some characters that annoy me (Rebecca !), but still a very very very good arc, much better than the previous one.

Still one thing to reproach ; the similarity between this arc and Alabsta arc : it's like reading nearly the same story with diffrent details. But who cares ? the story is amazing.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't rate it yet, until it's finished. But, so far, so good.

"I did battle with ignorance today and ignorance won".

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillFlame View Post
    There are some characters that annoy me (Rebecca !), but still a very very very good arc, much better than the previous one.
    Why is she annoying you?

-----------------------

I love this Arc. It's one of the best IMO because of all the cool new Characters for example Rebecca, Barto & Cavendish. And I love the backstory of Dressrosa and the Riku family.
    Last edited by Spenzi; March 27, 2014 at 06:01 AM.
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy's crew.

Possible new nakama IMO:
    Kin'emon / Momonosuke / Rebecca / Bellamy / Ceaser Clown / Mancherie / Leo / Wicca / Kanjuro / Bartolomeo

Country
    Eyrie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spenzi View Post
    Why is she annoying you?
    I feel like there's something not right about her, she tried to kill Luffy ?! Seriously Rebecca ! How on earth did she come up with the idea of getting rid of him can actually rise her chance of winning ? No offense, but she appear to be very shallow.
    Obviously, the power gap between her and the majority of participants is CLEAR ; I mean, I beleive that one should try and not surrender, but not in this case.
    And those flashbacks .. it seems like reading a never ending story with too much DRAMA, too much !

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillFlame View Post
    I feel like there's something not right about her, she tried to kill Luffy ?! Seriously Rebecca ! How on earth did she come up with the idea of getting rid of him can actually rise her chance of winning ? No offense, but she appear to be very shallow.
    Obviously, the power gap between her and the majority of participants is CLEAR ; I mean, I beleive that one should try and not surrender, but not in this case.
    And those flashbacks .. it seems like reading a never ending story with too much DRAMA, too much !
    Robyn & Franky tried also to kill Luffy. Nami stole Luffys ship. Jinbe, when I can call him a strawhat member, sended Arlong to the east blue and because of him Nami had to suffer most of her life. But they're still in Luffys crew And getting rid of Luffy in Rebecca's perspective is a pretty smart thing to do, to eliminate the enemys before they're in the ring. Barto did that, and the marines did that with Barto's guy. She's not shallow, she's smart.
    And for the tournament and the participants: It's not about strength in this tournament, otherwise Rebecca never would've made it to the finales.
    U find this too much drama? I found Robyn & Nami's backstory as heartmelting as Rebeccas.

Back to the topic:
    I like the Dressrosa arc and I also love the animation in the anime. It's so well done and really funny to watch. I enjoy the new characters!
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy's crew.

Possible new nakama IMO:
    Kin'emon / Momonosuke / Rebecca / Bellamy / Ceaser Clown / Mancherie / Leo / Wicca / Kanjuro / Bartolomeo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MSofAofCOCA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Whereas I think this arc had a magnificent start, I think it took a fast spin into 'Meh' land, with a short stop at 'Mediocre' town.
    Oda botched this one, in my opinion, but then I expect it would be incredibly hard to recreate the greatness of Water 7/Enies Lobby.

It's a fine arc, I just think his story telling has been a bit shaky since pre-time skip.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spenzi View Post
    Why is she annoying you?
    I dunno how to say it without sounding rude but to be fairly honest, quite a large majority of players here aren't exactly fans of her... The reasons why stagger and these aren't all from me...
    1. Boring personality.
    2. Looks a lot like Nami.
    3. Typical personality of wanting to be strong but she's too weak to do anything by herself. Like all bark no bite. The worst she can dish out is her ire.
    4. Has no jokes.
    5. Stands around looking pretty, giving nice guys her cheer, face it she's dim as a plank. ( I blame Kyros for not sending her to school XD Vivi clearly went to school! )

Let's be honest can any of us imagine her accomplishing anything in this arc with her strength? She probably can't hold her ground against even 1 of Doflamingo's henchmen let alone get the mera mera to kill Doflamingo. She adds next to nothing to the story
    Rebecca is just a "tool" to show us how much of a bad guy Doflamingo is and how much suffering he's caused Dressrosa =/...
    OK this derailing rant done.

Her aside... and maybe the powerless Dwarfs aside (bit of a waste of time introducing people with fruits if they get nothing cool done even!).

I like this arc. I think while there are a few gripes against the amount of time we spent at the coliseum (well... actually I liked it) I think we'll soon come to understand why Oda thought it necessary to even introduce that many characters as many of them look like they'll soon become allies to Luffy...
    I think Oda's been doing some risky moves placing this many characters all in 1 stage so to say, there's been so many scenes to keep our eyes on all over the place and many scenes have been handled off screen, like Franky and Ussop's fights. Some scenes I kind of wish we could have seen more of... But I'm liking to believe that when this arc is over we'll be able to look back on it and just remember it as nothing more than epic.
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the arc certainly is gaining speed. For me, some parts of this arc were needed ofc, they were necessary for the plot WITHIN Dressrosa, the Tournament, the flashbacks, the dwarves, however that does not help with the big picture of One Piece. In between this exposition of Dressorsa we got some major events, like Sabo, Big Mom, Burgess, characters that hold a greater meaning to the story as a whole.

From now on, I expect nothing but build ups and build ups to an eventual twist ending. But I do not think Oda will settle just for this, he is bound to throw at least a few more surprises that cross with my line of thinking as the arc just closes off with a twist, we may get some very interesting stuff that is Sabo reveal worthy again.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast