Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 5

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 5

There is most definitely a market change, though probably not as drastic as some are making it sound. It's easier to say that they just need gold to strike, but this issue won't really come into play until at least both Naruto and Bleach are gone. I will say though, currently the magazine as a whole doesn't really speak to me as much. Many of the manga I've read have ended and I'm just hanging onto Bleach/Naruto/One Piece and Souma. I've tried what is there, but it just doesn't stick with me.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eru13's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the entrants for Soma/WT's MAD contest 2nd round in case anyone's interested
    Shokugeki no Soma

World Trigger

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    It's really not. See for yourself. Dragon Ball and Yu Yu Hakusho were exactly 6 years apart. With another 4 years until Ruroni Kenshin.

Strictly speaking the anomaly was hitting with One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach as close together as they did.
    your confirmation bias is showing. In those six years inbetween we had City Hunter, Sakigake Otokojuku, Saint Seiya, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Bastard!, Rokudenashi Blues, Dragon Quest, Hana no Keiji AND Shin Jungle King Ta-chan. I mean, sure, some of those are hybridised as far as the chaotic world of genre goes, but... you're super wrong!

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 101nemesis's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely true that the newer generation of readers don't tend to like the old fashioned battle manga such as Bleach and Naruto. Even the relatively newer action manga such as Toriko and FT haven't even reached where Reborn was in its peak. You could say that for almost 20-25 years, the battle manga genre has been exhausted.

The new generation tends to like more gritty type of series such as Shingeki, Terra Formars or something that is very different in approach (unorthodox) like AC, Soma etc.

At least that's what I feel.
    Makes me wonder how IR and SS would do in the coming weeks since they both seem to be going for the battle manga approach.
    We are the fortunate ones
    Who've never faced oppression's gun
    Imitations of REBELLION

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of 21 current ongoing series (including HxH), there are 10 action series (I included AC because I think it is action series; not pure action series, though) and I think this is enough action series in one magazine.

Is it like people who argue more action series believe that Jump needs more than 10 action series? And people who argue the trend shift argues that Jump used to have more than 10 action series in their magazine before?

Throughout seeing the comments about Jump needs more action series and the trend has been changed, I begin to wonder this.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question: Aren't sports series pretty much action as well? Sure, some of them might be more slice-of-life orientated, but aren't they also focused on external conflict, much like battle manga?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Since everyone talks about whether it needs more action or the trend changed, then maybe it is good idea to see the past ToC (from 2000 to 2010 (not 2011, 2012, 2013 since those are pretty rencet)). I'm not going to upload all of them (that's way too much ), so I'm going to upload Issue 17 ones since Issue 17 is most recent issue for 2014. Firstlt here is ToC for Issue 17 for this year:

Issue 17 (2014):
    Kuroko no Basuke (Cover, Lead CP)
    Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
    Shokugeki no Souma
    Peach Pluck (CP, One Shot)
    Naruto
    Illegal Rare
    Tokyo Wonder Boys
    Funny Honey (One Shot)
    Bleach (CP)

Isobe Isobee Monogatari
    iShoujo
    Saiki Kusou no Sainan
    Stealth Symphony
    Haikyuu!!
    World Trigger
    Nisekoi
    Gintama
    Kochikame
    Soul Catcher(s)
    Iron Knight

And, now here is Issue 17 ToC from 2000 to 2010:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Kaizou 10; March 24, 2014 at 08:03 AM.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    Out of 21 current ongoing series (including HxH), there are 10 action series (I included AC because I think it is action series; not pure action series, though) and I think this is enough action series in one magazine.

Is it like people who argue more action series believe that Jump needs more than 10 action series? And people who argue the trend shift argues that Jump used to have more than 10 action series in their magazine before?

Throughout seeing the comments about Jump needs more action series and the trend has been changed, I begin to wonder this.
    Think what people mean is that most of these action series in JUMP right now aren't typical shonen battle manga. Most are unorthodox.
    Not counting Iron Knight and the new serializations, we have One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Toriko and World Trigger. Among these 5, 3 are more than 570 chapters old and World Trigger is barely doing well.
    Not including Iron Knight since we all know it would get cancelled eventually.

The other manga such as AC, Soma, KnB, HQ!! can all come under unorthodox battle manga(I count sports as unorthodox). But that would be the point, they aren't your typical battle manga which JUMP seems to not have much these days.

The remaining TOC's from 2011- 2013 are below (Thought I'd help Kaizou a bit)

Spoiler show

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I have a question: Aren't sports series pretty much action as well? Sure, some of them might be more slice-of-life orientated, but aren't they also focused on external conflict, much like battle manga?
    Yeah, I would call them unorthodox battle manga like Soma and Bakuman. They always refer to competitions as "battles" and its done in a way battle manga are usually done.
    Last edited by 101nemesis; March 24, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
    Imitations of REBELLION

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nayrael's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [Cross] View Post
    There is most definitely a market change, though probably not as drastic as some are making it sound. It's easier to say that they just need gold to strike, but this issue won't really come into play until at least both Naruto and Bleach are gone. I will say though, currently the magazine as a whole doesn't really speak to me as much. Many of the manga I've read have ended and I'm just hanging onto Bleach/Naruto/One Piece and Souma. I've tried what is there, but it just doesn't stick with me.
    Indeed, once Bleach or Naruto end, new orthodox Action series will have higher chances of surviving. Many actions fans now vote for OP, Naruto, Bleach or Toriko rather than for the newbies.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
    Indeed, once Bleach or Naruto end, new orthodox Action series will have higher chances of surviving. Many actions fans now vote for OP, Naruto, Bleach or Toriko rather than for the newbies.
    I dont think actiony fans are voting for Bleach as its been cannibalized by people opting for World Trigger or Assassination Classroom. And Toriko starting to slip suggests people are potentially choosing to cast their votes elsewhere.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    I dont think actiony fans are voting for Bleach as its been cannibalized by people opting for World Trigger or Assassination Classroom. And Toriko starting to slip suggests people are potentially choosing to cast their votes elsewhere.
    Hardly doubt you can count WT in that. AC, is a different story.

2-3 years from now, we'd see some big changes in the JUMP line up.
    Imitations of REBELLION

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TXC's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been seeing big changes to the wsj line up already, after so many years where nothing managed to stick.
    Twitter Account: TiagoCostaX
    Team Stealth Symphony | Nisekoi Support Group

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rica_Patin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 101nemesis View Post
    It's definitely true that the newer generation of readers don't tend to like the old fashioned battle manga such as Bleach and Naruto. Even the relatively newer action manga such as Toriko and FT haven't even reached where Reborn was in its peak. You could say that for almost 20-25 years, the battle manga genre has been exhausted.

The new generation tends to like more gritty type of series such as Shingeki, Terra Formars or something that is very different in approach (unorthodox) like AC, Soma etc.

At least that's what I feel.
    Makes me wonder how IR and SS would do in the coming weeks since they both seem to be going for the battle manga approach.
    What wait?
    Bleach and Naruto aren't old fashioned at all. They don't really feel different in structure at all to newer series like Toriko or Fairy Tail.
    Also, I think it's entirely untrue that readers are tending to prefer more grittier series, yes Shingeki no Kyojin is a huge success, but at the same time, there's lots of more traditional shonen battle manga that are very popular as well, like Nanatsu no Taizai and Magi.
    Also, I don't think you can bring up Terra ForMars (or Tokyo Ghoul) as an example as it runs in an entirely different demographic to the manga we are talking about.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXC View Post
    We've been seeing big changes to the wsj line up already, after so many years where nothing managed to stick.
    I'm not sure currently is a big chance; I think the last big chance was 2012.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 101nemesis View Post
    Hardly doubt you can count WT in that. AC, is a different story.

2-3 years from now, we'd see some big changes in the JUMP line up.
    World Trigger is constantly and nearly consistently above Bleach. This high and strong correlation, strongly suggests and highly implies that World Trigger is having an effect on Bleach.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast