Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fairest of Them All: A Claymore Character Tournament

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Fairest of Them All: A Claymore Character Tournament

@Number A
    Like I said, I like the bottom one the most but the majority has spoken (and in the end your voice is the most important). Truth be told though the top one is also great so I'll have no complaints if you choose this one.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bayuga's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Number A

For the next round, Miria needs a better picture. Here are my favorites.

I think, the first pic is perfect for the tournament.
    Last edited by Bayuga; April 20, 2014 at 07:10 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Number A's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bayuga View Post
    I think, the first pic is perfect for the tournament.
    Those are nice, but none of them crop well into the 2:3 width:height ratio that all pics must fit I'd need to make them extreme closeups which I don't like doing (they end up being kind of confronting - just look at Alicia). What's wrong with the current image? It used to be your avatar so you obviously don't dislike it. . .

ANNOUNCEMENT: Hello and welcome to the second round of this glorious tournament~! Many of you I'm sure will have noticed that we've reached the halfway point and from here on in things get serious. Every contestant remaining has a victory to their name but with half the field gone the competition is far more intense. In this round, everyone's favourite colourhead squares off against Alicia who is as beautiful as she is deadly while Galatea the Shipped-With-Everyone (seriously, she's like a Claymore Draco Malfoy) takes on Hysteria of the Awesome Hair. How do I call this? Well, Clarice is sort of cute but I think she only made it through to this round because Rigaldo was the wrong gender for this tournament and will be knocked out by Alicia. As for the other round, Hysteria is handsome but Galatea makes sexy nun look classy. You can't beat that.

As for Round 1.8, well, Miria prevailed against Luciela 60/40 and Octavia ousted Cassandra 62/38. Looks like it's not a good day for girls who look like cats :/

Happy voting~!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's strange, that only Miria's pictures make problems, but the pics of Teresa and Galatea not ...

The current image is nice, but not good enough for the next round.
    And i don't see a problem with this pic, it has a similar size.

This image is also good.

Please, try it at least.
    Last edited by Bayuga; April 20, 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's strange, that only Miria's pictures make problems, but the pics of Teresa and Galatea not ...

The current image is nice, but not good enough for the next round.
    And i don't see a problem with this pic, it has a similar size.

This image is also good.

Please, try it at least.
    The first one might be better, her face is more visible on that one.
    When you've reached the bottom, you can always dig yourself deeper - just use a shovel.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member God Eye Galatea's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, let's be fair

This Miria
    Spoiler show

Vs.

This Anastasia
    Spoiler show

This Agatha
    Spoiler show

Vs.

This Dietrich
    Spoiler show

Another good picture of Octavia
    Spoiler show

Not sure if her humanoid part of her awaken form could be used or not, I like her awaken form hair better
    Spoiler show

A better picture of Deneve if she advances
    Spoiler show

I'm proposing that color pictures to be used during the semi-final and the championship match.

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Number A's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

ANNOUNCEMENT: I would like to take this time to fully explain what makes a picture suitable for this contest. I'm doing this so that you guys understand where I'm coming from and will be able to suggest pictures I can use. I really, really appreciate your enthusiasm and want to be able to reward it. With that in mind, here is a guide to what makes a good image (roughly in order of importance).

0. It has to be nice. Goes without saying ^_^

1. It has to be the right shape. You all know the definitive Galatea image, right? The one from chapter 74 when she's revealed to be blind?

Spoiler show

Look at what happens when you crop it down.

Spoiler show

See how it just doesn't work? Her beautiful hair is basically GONE as is any sense of her face shape. Sure she's smiling but the grace and power of the original image just don't come through. Even though the original is fantastic, it doesn't resolve itself well into the shape that every image in this contest MUST fit and so isn't suitable.

Shape can NOT be changed. In order for me to be able to format everything properly all images must be in a 2:3 width:height ratio. Breaking this would mean I'd need to change everything from the board to the matchup template and it jsut isn't worth it.

2. It has to be true to the spirit of the character. This is sort of wooly and subjective and I'll make exceptions for pictures that are otherwise really nice (The Death of Ophelia by Norihiro Yagi would be an example of this) but I do want characters in images to look like themselves.

3. It has to show the character's face decently well. Remember the first Teresa pic I had? This one?

Spoiler show

It's a nice pic, but it gets small and awkward when scaled down to matchup size. The new one is much better suited to the format of this contest. Go check the board and see what I mean.

4. New art style is better than old. This criteria is fairly flexible and the new Teresa pic is a good example of what I mean. Her features just work together a little more nicely than they did back in the day.

Spoiler show

5. Resolution. This becomes really important really fast if printing dots are involved. Check out this pic of Cassandra's adorable friend who totally should be have been in round 0. See how it's ruined by dots? See also how the new pic of Teresa isn't?

Spoiler show

All contest profile pics are 300x450 pixels. The closer a source image is to this, the better. Don't worry about resizing, I've got photoshop and can do this myself. In my experience, anything with a width less than 200 px doesn't blow up well. Larger is no problem.

6. It has to be better than what's already there. Changing a pic requires effort and I'm not going to do it if I don't think it will make a difference.

There are other considerations, but these are the big ones.

Oh, this is only relevant to the contest if you're me but GOOGLE DRIVE CAN BE USED FOR IMAGE HOSTING!!!

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

The pic of Galatea GEG suggested cropped well into the standard ratio as did the pic of Teresa (remember the part where I assembled a shortlist of images I knew could work and got people to comment on those? I was screening for shape). Also, both images were better than what I already had: the Galatea one shows more of her head and hair and the Teresa one is more stylistically consistent with the other images and more clearly shows her face.

Another factor which might affect Miria particularly is that her hair, especially when she puts it in a ponytail, is very bushy (it's full of secrets!!!). When drawing her, Yagi generally goes for shots that are wide rather than long so he can get her whole head. It makes sense in the manga but it does make things harder for this contest where the preference is shots that are long rather than wide.

Please, try it at least.
    No worries, here you go!

Spoiler show

and for the sake of comparison, here's the current Miria profile pic

Spoiler show

The image on the top left is blurrier than the current pic so I wouldn't change it for that. Also, it shows less of Miria's head giving you less of a sense of what she looks like. The top right image is almost too far from her head (and I can't crop it in closer without lowering the resolution). The bottom right one is easily the best of the bunch you suggested but it strikes me as being almost too close up. The current image gives you a clearer sense of what Miria looks like. Bottom right is out of the question as it's too low resolution.

Sorry to be so harsh, I'm answering this as thoroughly as I am to show I take your input seriously and am not just blowing you off because I can't be bothered.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by God Eye Galatea View Post
    Ok, let's be fair
    Extremely well spotted ^_^ I don't care about overall stylistic consistence as much as I do equality within matchups. If two characters who are going head-to-head have undercovers or coloured pages of the same standard then of course we can use those~!

Here's what matchups 2.3B and 2.4A look like if we use undercovers. I would use the undercover images in those matchups only and revert back to default images when the go up against a character who Yagi hasn't drawn naked.

Spoiler show

My only concern about this is that beauty and sexual attractiveness aren't quite the same thing and I don't want to completely alienate our straight female and gay male voters (my sister, for one, isn't that keen on the undercover pics). Also, if we wanna get fussy about being true to characters getting naked isn't really Miria's style. That said, variety is the spice of life and I like image variation so I'll change them up ^_^

Another good picture of Octavia
    That is a nice pic but I balk slightly at the fact that it's obviously scanned from paper (stylistic consistency FTW!). I agree that she could do better than she does and should now that Teresa's been upgraded. I went with the pic I did because it's s serviceable generic Octavia shot. I'm totally cool with using awakened form pics of her as well if you have any to suggest which aren't undercovers (unless we use Teresa undercover pics, neither of which quite works).

A better picture of Deneve if she advances
    Hate to say it, but the fact that Deneve is missing half her face makes that picture unusable

I'm proposing that color pictures to be used during the semi-final and the championship match.
    Two steps ahead of ya, mate
    Last edited by Number A; April 21, 2014 at 02:16 AM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say those pics give them an unfair advantage Too bad we don't have nude/suggestive pics for all the cast, it'd even the field.
    When you've reached the bottom, you can always dig yourself deeper - just use a shovel.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dany le fou View Post
    I'd say those pics give them an unfair advantage Too bad we don't have nude/suggestive pics for all the FEMALE cast (except Rachel, though she is naked in one of the undercovers), it'd even the field.
    Fixed.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say those pics give them an unfair advantage Too bad we don't have nude/suggestive pics for all the cast, it'd even the field.
    Why not find a artist here that can draw that request of the cast as you wish to see?
    (Tastefully and tactically teases, not obscene nudity...)
    Do anyone know someone here who can pull that off?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Number A View Post
    The image on the top left is blurrier than the current pic so I wouldn't change it for that. Also, it shows less of Miria's head giving you less of a sense of what she looks like. The top right image is almost too far from her head (and I can't crop it in closer without lowering the resolution). The bottom right one is easily the best of the bunch you suggested but it strikes me as being almost too close up. The current image gives you a clearer sense of what Miria looks like. Bottom right is out of the question as it's too low resolution.
    Sorry, but i don't agree. Yes, the first picture is not good in this format, but the others look fine for me. And really, you have the same problems with the pics from Flora, Hysteria, Alicia and Priscilla, but no one complains.

This is a beauty contest, and the goal is, to use the most beautiful pictures, and not average pics, only because they have the right size. The new images are maybe not perfect for this format, but they show, what a beautiful face miria has. The nice, but not really beautiful current image, can influence the outcome of the next round negative. So if you are not interested to change the image, is it really a fair and objective contest? I don't think so ...

But ok, i will show you a other picture, an hope, this one is good enough for you.

More pics. But probably not the right size.

Last edited by Bayuga; April 21, 2014 at 05:33 AM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

We all know Miria won't win anyway . Galatea will probably win, at least she is one of the prettiest, if not the prettiest, she is hot and she is popular (even if it shouldn't be considered here but after the results I have seen)...
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@Bayuga
    If you think that a face profile is a good picture then in reality you don't want Miria to win. This is one of the worst Miria's picture's I've seen but I won't give better examples since I don't fancy her enough.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    We all know Miria won't win anyway . Galatea will probably win, at least she is one of the prettiest, if not the prettiest, she is hot and she is popular (even if it shouldn't be considered here but after the results I have seen)...
    Have I ever said, Miria will win? No! It's clear, that a other charakter will win.
    For me, she is the most beautiful character in Claymore. And if you compare best of Miria vs. best of Teresa, Galatea and the others, and if you really are objective, without fanboy glasses, you will see, that Miria looks better, she has the most beautiful face. At least, she is in the same league! Many characters have the same beauty level. Looks Galatea better than Audrey, Anastasia, Flora etc.? No! And if you compare the tournament pics of Luciela,Teresa and Galatea, who is the hottest of the three? Luciela! But Luciela had never a chance to win.

So, is Galatea the best? With an objective look, definitely no! She is overrated. She has a nice hairstyle, that's her secret. But body and face are not better than the rest.

So, who is the fairest of them all? The answer is: no one! Many of them have the same beauty level!

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    @Bayuga
    If you think that a face profile is a good picture then in reality you don't want Miria to win. This is one of the worst Miria's picture's I've seen but I won't give better examples since I don't fancy her enough.
    This pic is not my favorite, but it's better than the current one. This is only a alternative.
    Last edited by Bayuga; April 21, 2014 at 05:50 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Roxanne!.....Chronos...Galatea...Rimuto..! now those are some nudes i would wanna see!
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast