Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Proof reading

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wednesday101's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Proof reading

I'm interested in becoming and learning (if you need to) a proof reader. I don't fluently speak any foreign languages, but I'm a native English speaker. I have no idea how to go about becoming one, or if I need someone to teach me. Mind helping out?

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proof reading

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday101 View Post
    I'm interested in becoming and learning (if you need to) a proof reader. I don't fluently speak any foreign languages, but I'm a native English speaker. I have no idea how to go about becoming one, or if I need someone to teach me. Mind helping out?
    Hi

Translators' Academy (TA) has a sticky thread called Request a Full Proofreading where translators can post proofreading requests. Many established translators already have proofreaders, but there are many who work on their own. Feel free to introduce yourself in the thread and tell them that you could help. Make sure you mention that you are a native English speaker. American English and British English are quite different, so you probably want to mention that, too. Many proofreaders don't speak foreign languages, so you don't have to worry about languages other than English.

A good proofreader would know how to correct spellings, grammar and the speech style used in tl. If you are unsure of the difference between American and British English, read wiki [link]. Remember that manga tl is colloquial in most part. One thing you want to keep in mind is the language structual difference between English and Japanese. Since Japanese uses passive voice to show politeness, beginner translators may use the same voice patterns in English. You may want to change the phrase to active voice to make it sound more natural.

If you are interested in joining a scanlation group, Staff and Project Resources would be a good place to visit.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply