Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do we know about Jean?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do we know about Jean?

Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    I think Jean represents the guy who is scared shitless but doesn't have a breakdown like Daz or Armin. In a way, he's the most believable "hero." among them. I don't think he needs a crazy backstory to be important because his story carries alot of emotional weight. Lets be honest, most of us are manga nerds and would never have the guts to make it through training as a cadet or facing the titans. We'd all shit our pants. Jean is the guy that shits his pants, but then somehow manages to be a badass, so we can relate to him the best.

He's also proven himself to be the 104th's best battle commander (lead resupply, convinces top 10 to join the Scouts, leads attack on the Megata, so on). Don't die Jean! We want to see you make out with Mikasa at least once before you get eaten!
    We kind of have two different versions of Jean. I agree with you if we look at the anime Jean, but he isn't this awesome hero in the manga. His role is much smaller and much of the stuff we see him do in the anime arn't in the manga. I really like the anime Jean and it was the first version I got introduced to.

After reading the manga I wondered why they made him seem so good in the anime, he isn't the protagonist.
    They made Eren look like this stupid kid with anger issues..
    Why choose to make a smaller character more likeable? Jean was almost the hero in the anime. I just don't understand..

Anyway, only time will tell who the manga Jean is. If he's just a plain"good guy" or if he's hiding something, which could be both good and bad.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BobobVanBlob's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riccaXX View Post
    We kind of have two different versions of Jean. I agree with you if we look at the anime Jean, but he isn't this awesome hero in the manga. His role is much smaller and much of the stuff we see him do in the anime arn't in the manga. I really like the anime Jean and it was the first version I got introduced to.

After reading the manga I wondered why they made him seem so good in the anime, he isn't the protagonist.
    They made Eren look like this stupid kid with anger issues..
    Why choose to make a smaller character more likeable? Jean was almost the hero in the anime. I just don't understand..

Anyway, only time will tell who the manga Jean is. If he's just a plain"good guy" or if he's hiding something, which could be both good and bad.
    I started with the manga, and I'm always telling people that I liked Jean from his very first appearance (even though I thought he was going to be the first to die, because being opposed to the Hero's way of thinking is a deathflag in itself). But well I'm okay with both of them, anime Jean is a hero because of all the extra material making him super important time wise in it. In the manga he is more like this guy you'll get to see everywhere but not in the foreground and of course not a good guy at all, the only good things he is doing are out of guilt, he'll never be a 100% goody good, but for now he is the most righteous character in the cast (which is a really terrifying thought).

If Jean was hiding something really important plotwise it would feel a bit like a huge joke, because he was always presented as a normal character. But eyh, Bertholdt was a background character and was actually the colossal titan, so...

Jean is the HorseTitan?
    WAHAHA~ My anime list - - tsil agnam yM ~AHAHAW

4. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobobVanBlob View Post
    ...If Jean was hiding something really important plotwise it would feel a bit like a huge joke, because he was always presented as a normal character. But eyh, Bertholdt was a background character and was actually the colossal titan, so...

Jean is the HorseTitan?
    Jean is too loud to have any sort of suspicion on himself. Then, we have always heard Jean's head thoughts, but never Bertholdt's. Maybe Reiner is a better comparison?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I re-read some chapters and realised something. I don't know why but I thought Jean was in Castle Utgard with the others.. but he wasn't, and he wasn’t with Eren, Armin, Levi, Hange and Mikasa either. (He did turn up in Trost with SL though)
    So he was never treated as a shifter-suspect (which I find strange) nor a trustworthy ally. How could they be so sure he wasn't working with Annie? I mean the rest of the recruits were either suspects or part of the trio.

I got this crazy theory. What if Jean is the king’s bastard and Erwin knows about it and plans to use it somehow?
    It could explain Jean’s reaction and why they kept the information regarding the real queen from Levi’s new squad. And it would explain why Jean wasn’t a suspect but still not considered a trustworthy ally.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riccaXX View Post
    I re-read some chapters and realised something. I don't know why but I thought Jean was in Castle Utgard with the others.. but he wasn't, and he wasn’t with Eren, Armin, Levi, Hange and Mikasa either. (He did turn up in Trost with SL though)
    So he was never treated as a shifter-suspect (which I find strange) nor a trustworthy ally. How could they be so sure he wasn't working with Annie? I mean the rest of the recruits were either suspects or part of the trio.
    I don't think we know how much influence Armin had on those decisions. It makes sense for Armin to include just Eren and Mikasa. (Although, now I think of it, it would have been quite risky if they did listen to Armin and the EMA trio were the "bad guys" instead of the other three) But also because in our minds, it is considered "normal" for Jean, who is not part of the trio, to be absent from the Utgard rescue.
    Maybe the SL really had no clue at all and Armin could only clear Jean as a normal based on deductions?

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2