Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The worst part of One Piece so far?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The worst part of One Piece so far?

The problem is the same since timeskip. Oda got no idea how to handle the new supposed strength of the crew. There wasn't even one good fight post-timeskip

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Transition aside, there's a big difference between the Davy Back fight arc and all the others mentioned so far. In the davy back fight arc, everything from when the Foxy Pirates showed up to when they left could've been replaced by something else and the manga wouldnt've missed anything at all except a missed reference to the noro noro beam when Luffy met Hancock at her bath; whereas all the other arcs have contributed important development points to the story. Most of that arc might as well have been filler. This may change in the future if they show up again later and contribute something meaningful to the story, but "so far," the story could've done without it. There hasn't been any hints that they would ever show up again either.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea. I would have liked it to see that Usopp is now capable of more. I always wait for him to shine but being able to defeat a Logia seems to be a bit to much in my opinion.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Davy Back miniarc did contribute and set up Water 7. Aokiji was introduced there, and we got a glimpse of Robin's past, and what might happen. Sure, if you skip or take out the Davy Back fight, it wouldn't have mattered to the story, but at least we got to see Zoro and Sanju working together, their strength, and how tough they are.

Thriller Bark introduced Brook and Moria, where one joined the crew and the other joined the war. It also introduced Kuma, who played probably the most important role in the crew's growth, saving them so they could get stronger. Thanks to Thriller Bark, Doflamingo was the only mysterious shichibukai because we didn't know what he was capable of, while we knew Moria could control shadows, whose weakness was salt, and Kuma could make things go boom or send people places. I actually liked the feeling and atmosphere of Thriller Bark, as I've mentioned.

Honestly, saying Thriller Bark was a filler is like saying Fishman Island was a filler. They both were important.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

So what if the overall plot wouldn't change if the Davy Back part never happened? Is that really a serious argument, that everything has to be really connected, that nothing can happen as a side plot? You can be sure as hell that Oda would implement more of such, if he hadn't sooo much to write until the end of the series. He likely chose to go the straight line so he can finish OP before he's an old man, that can't enjoy his children growing up. It will be great nonetheless, but getting an insight into different facets of the OPverse was good for the series itself too, something that hadn't to do with some crazy tyran or shichibukai or WG. A world full of pirates and all we saw was connected to the marines or world history somehow.

Weird that nobody hates on the endless cover story of Caribou, the length was quiet annoying, when it could have been shortened by half.
    Last edited by Schabrak; April 08, 2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably raise my hand for the party of fishman island haters...

Good on you Schabrak for defending the DB arc so much though, I think... the only parts I skipped was the race, and Luffies match (not including the afro bit that was funny!). The rest of it was funny! I mean if your not going to even enjoy any of the humor in OP then why bother even reading any of it!? (and DONT watch it! The anime is a cheap budget piece of 4 letter words! It needs to be abridged down to match the real faster pacing of the manga!)

I don't know why Thriller Bark is so bad... I found it funny in quite a few places. I think the only bad part is listening to Moria laughing too much (DONT WATCH THE ANIME)!

Fishman island though was... Bleh =/... Fishmen from childhood perpetuating racism without any personal reasons, and yet somehow becoming as big a threat as they did...

I do feel a bit meh about after time skip too in the sense of... How many chapters have we gone since we last had a thrilling fight scene? Luffy vs Hodie was kinda pathetic =/ and vs Ceaser was too easy a win. Meanwhile characters left right and center keep getting completely beaten up off screen... The lack of epic fights better have a point behind them coming up soon, like WHY have we been held back from seeing the crews growth these last 2 years so long or WHY is it that even after Marineford arc have we yet to have seen any good fights? Magellan vs Luffy is pretty much the last "Thrilling" fight I think I've seen (like with out any of it going on off screen). Every fight since then has either been off screen or the stronger characters have been downplayed to hide their true powers.
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    So what if the overall plot wouldn't change if the Davy Back part never happened?
    So... that part of the story only contributed to pure entertainment value; hence, if a person was not entertained by it, its value drops by a lot. I know a lot of people enjoyed the davy back fight.... but it seems some people didn't as well.

Is that really a serious argument, that everything has to be really connected, that nothing can happen as a side plot?
    It's not an argument; It's an opinion. Why does anything have to be an argument when discussing subjective matters? When you're asked what the "worst part of One Piece" was so far, surely it'll be different for each person. When someone says, a specific section of the story is the worst part because it had no entertainment value to that person and that section of the story had no meaningful addition to the story overall, then that justifies it being called the worst of the story by that person. That really is all there is to it. I didn't really think I would have to explain this in detail.

You can be sure as hell that Oda would implement more of such, if he hadn't sooo much to write until the end of the series. He likely chose to go the straight line so he can finish OP before he's an old man, that can't enjoy his children growing up. It will be great nonetheless, but getting an insight into different facets of the OPverse was good for the series itself too, something that hadn't to do with some crazy tyran or shichibukai or WG. A world full of pirates and all we saw was connected to the marines or world history somehow.
    Nothing wrong with that. Even if it happens again wouldn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it. Like I said, if it has entertainment value its still good.

Weird that nobody hates on the endless cover story of Caribou, the length was quiet annoying, when it could have been shortened by half.
    Never really even thought about the cover stories... Although I guess most of them are technically a part of the story.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Um,,, you can always approach this from a more "passive" approach than the defensive one your going with!

Some of the cover stories I wish we could have seen animated but I don't think they ever did get touched... would have made for a good "meanwhile" story for the anime when you think about it... just 1 episode, slotted in between story arcs just to show what happened to past characters... Would the audience take it though?
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Some of the cover stories I wish we could have seen animated but I don't think they ever did get touched... would have made for a good "meanwhile" story for the anime when you think about it... just 1 episode, slotted in between story arcs just to show what happened to past characters... Would the audience take it though?
    This is a good idea... It was nice how they handled where the other strawhats went after being separated before they even showed up in the cover stories. It kinda also reminds me of how Buggy got back his body and joined Alvida before Loguetown.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Um,,, you can always approach this from a more "passive" approach than the defensive one your going with!
    Not sure how you mean... It's only natural to take a defensive posture when offense is made without good reason.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

nawww its all easy homie just blow em offffff! No need to work yourself up after all!

But yeah, for the cover stories idea... I THINK many of us would appreciate seeing the cover stories animated over ANY filler material they could write up!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner namod's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think his dream is to become this, so if he ever become a "man" then that will be near the end of one piece

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Oda is just lost as of to how strong to make the strawhats. he doesn't want to make them overly strong but also not too weak.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohh 1 Part that's not the worst, but I find it bad, is that the focus of Robin is = zero.
    She could be so strong, and her DF is sooo variable. But she doesn't get the time to shine... Oda... let her shine!
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy's crew.

Possible new nakama IMO:
    Kin'emon / Momonosuke / Rebecca / Bellamy / Ceaser Clown / Mancherie / Leo / Wicca / Kanjuro / Bartolomeo

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member renders's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    The problem is the same since timeskip. Oda got no idea how to handle the new supposed strength of the crew. There wasn't even one good fight post-timeskip
    lol just give it time ffs they're just fighting big names in the dressrosa arc...and it sure is better than fairy tail's shitty timeskip
    ''The melody of logic always plays the note of truth''

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lasso's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Last 2 arcs.

We all have been hyped about the new world, and then 2 unnecessary arcs come like that.

I'm not too much in the manga, but the anime also is suffering from the stupid pace Oda putting since the timeskip.

Dressrosa arc seems legit, but last 10 chapters or so were just awfully paced, imagine this part getting animated (

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast