Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Catharsis while reading Berserk

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Catharsis while reading Berserk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

Yes, so this aesthetic principle applies to Berserk a lot I think. Many times I wondered what I was going through, and it was catharsis it seems, so many gore, rape, so many evil things you would not want to be left to the dark forces like that fragile like Caska. I think I experienced it most in her situations how she was helpless and without Guts she would be dead and raped even more. Her condition also offers some pity and sadness and is overall TRAGIC. But it is her tragedy that makes us free while reading Berserk, seeing it with our own eyes. Do you think that when we go through the horrible violent demon gore in Berserk most of us are going through CATHARSIS?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catharsis while reading Berserk

Yeah kinda although I'm not sure if Miura is doing it intentionally.I just think he wants to say that humans and the world are screwed up.Whether it's set in a fantasy world, or in the real world. I don't think our minds are purified by reading Berserk. Miura brings forth the darkest feelings of humans and all the ugliness of the world, without being moralizing .He tries to give an accurate and honest portrayal of persons that could very well exist in our world.And imo that's what the manga is all about.
    But I've noticed that each person reads Berserk differently, and is impacted in a different way.Some may have been in a situation were their friend or lover was raped, and they felt that the manga helped them to handle that situation, by not abandoning that person. I personally wasn't impacted that way.
    Last edited by ladylola; April 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catharsis while reading Berserk

Well in catharsis you can never experience the stuff, only in the play/drama, so no need for personal experience, the "cleansing" part takes place with the reader being "pure" as well so he can be "more than pure"? Lol, this is getting too logically insane now.

But of course I always see some hope provided in Berserk, most dark situations are sometimes interrupted by Guts, but then when even he can not do anything I think Skull Knight is this beacon of light, and I think he represents hope.

New Reply