Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Asians = Demi Gods?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hectorpops's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Asians = Demi Gods?

Noticed in AOT, that the Size to strength ratio on titans is about the same as Mikasa and levis, they are both confirmed Ackermans
    Does this mean the Titan " experiment " did not work on Asians? Or were the Ackermans just gifted?
    I also think Titans eating people is a Search of some kind, reminds me of when I was kid, whenever I lost a toy in the sandbox, I would pick up loads of sand in a bucket, then sifted through the sand in the bucket, if the toy wasnt in it, I dropped the sand back down

This is how I picture the Titans eating people
    They must be searching for something

Just in case anyone asks how this connects to the ape titan, I honestly have no idea I think the ape titan is a sort of animal testing

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asians = Demi Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorpops View Post
    Noticed in AOT, that the Size to strength ratio on titans is about the same as Mikasa and levis, they are both confirmed Ackermans
    Does this mean the Titan " experiment " did not work on Asians? Or were the Ackermans just gifted?
    I also think Titans eating people is a Search of some kind, reminds me of when I was kid, whenever I lost a toy in the sandbox, I would pick up loads of sand in a bucket, then sifted through the sand in the bucket, if the toy wasnt in it, I dropped the sand back down

This is how I picture the Titans eating people
    They must be searching for something

Just in case anyone asks how this connects to the ape titan, I honestly have no idea I think the ape titan is a sort of animal testing
    Levi is not Asian, so your theory is somewhat completely moot.

Now if you really want to argue something, it's likely that Levi is a semite (Jew isn't an ethnicity, it's a religion), and therefore possible that
    Spoiler show

If anything, being Hebrew/Semitic or what have you may be more of a power boost, but seriously. This Asian fapping is getting old, and it's not even accurate.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are related it would be on the ackerman side of the family, her dad's side of the family. Mikasa is half asian because of her mom, not because of her dad. Even if the two are related it is unlikely there is any asian to levi.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Mikasa and Levi both being badasses is connected to them being Ackermans. I think the manga-ka is also keeping it consistent by showing that light people are more acrobatic and maneuverable when using 3DMG. Makes sense that tiny Levi can fight better than anyone. So, no, Asianness has nothing to do with it (it seems).

Also, we've seen Asian titans, but no Black Titans? No Indians or Mexican Titans? What's up w/ that. Probably just because Manga's almost always focus on Asian and White people in some twisted way.

(Since I couldn't find a Black Panther Fist of Solidarity Emoji, LOL)
    Last edited by PIXISSUUU; April 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Allready rode about it in the Grisha thread - short version:

Mikasa, Levi and to some extend Eren having superior 3DMG
    abilities might have to do with them being altered cause
    if memories can be altered by Geographia and shifters created by
    Grisha thinking that human physiology could be too doesn't seem
    unlikely and it might all come from the same source explaining
    RABs attack...

Quote Quote:
    no Black Titans
    with titans being sunpowered even if the humans inside them
    have black skin the titans might still be white for practical reasons.

Or the real evil version the titans who form the walls are black since
    the are skinned we can't tell maybe like in the real world the were
    brought to America as slaves for this very purpose...
    Of course the could use the indegenious population for that but
    who know maybe for some reason not.

Quote Quote:
    I also think Titans eating people is a Search of some kind,
    reminds me of when I was kid, whenever I lost a toy in the sandbox
    More like robots, they are very specific in their focus on humans
    doing nothing else more machine than living creature.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    I think Mikasa and Levi both being badasses is connected to them being Ackermans. I think the manga-ka is also keeping it consistent by showing that light people are more acrobatic and maneuverable when using 3DMG. Makes sense that tiny Levi can fight better than anyone. So, no, Asianness has nothing to do with it (it seems).

Also, we've seen Asian titans, but no Black Titans? No Indians or Mexican Titans? What's up w/ that. Probably just because Manga's almost always focus on Asian and White people in some twisted way.

(Since I couldn't find a Black Panther Fist of Solidarity Emoji, LOL)
    Well, dude, it's set in a fictional Germany. Sure, there are blacks, Indians, etc. in Germany, but it's not America. I can ignore the amount of ethnic homogeneity when it's set somewhere pretty much anywhere else besides America.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 220kz View Post
    with titans being sunpowered even if the humans inside them
    have black skin the titans might still be white for practical reasons.
    Uhh...Wouldn't Black Titan skin actually be more efficient at absorbing sunlight? White Titan skin would reflect most visible light, and black skin would absorb more.

Quote Originally Posted by LiarsParadox View Post
    Well, dude, it's set in a fictional Germany. Sure, there are blacks, Indians, etc. in Germany, but it's not America. I can ignore the amount of ethnic homogeneity when it's set somewhere pretty much anywhere else besides America.
    Still doesn't explain Asian titans. If there are Asians who were turned into titans that reached this fictional Germany, then Arabs, Indians, and Black people should be showing up too. Its just a common manga practice to show only Caucasian and Asian people; it's not meant to be realistic. I'm not Black so I'm not like personally offended. Its just one of those things about manga that make me laugh.
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Uhh...Wouldn't Black Titan skin actually be more efficient at absorbing sunlight?
    Well fair skin offers less protection against the suns high energy rays (UV)
    but i won't get into a scientific argument over that.

Quote Quote:
    Well, dude, it's set in a fictional Germany. Sure, there are blacks, Indians, etc. in Germany, but it's not America. I can ignore the amount of ethnic homogeneity when it's set somewhere pretty much anywhere else besides Americaabout that...
    Now here is the important part with new thoughts
    We don't know where the story is set but it states
    that the sailed (from Europe/Germany) to a new land where the found the walls.

Now we don't know if the sailed from Western Europe to America or if the moved via
    the Mediterran sea East and ended somewhere on the Crimean Peninsula moving
    North into the Russian plains where the found the wall or anything like that
    but we can assume that the are currently rather far away from Germany.

http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/...f-the-japanese

it states that only the rich and powerfull were allowed on board (and during the rough journey
    lots of ships vanished, who knows maybe some of them survived and founded RABs village?)

Another important thing about titan-appearance would be not just the
    under-representation of non-caucasians but also that of females whatever
    "disease" causes the average Titantransformation might simply destroy
    any kind of human being turning them into the crotesque caucasian male
    form we see leaving only spine and brainstem inside their neck.
    Last edited by 220kz; April 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: inside cover link added

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

When have we seen a titan whom we have reason to think is actually Asian? The author of this manga went for a particular look and feel when it came to characters. He is inspired by German culture and his characters for the most part have german influence safe for mikasa, the super magic Asian. There are no other confirmed asians in the manga, none that I can definitely pinpoint as asian at least. There is a decent bit of unrealism in the manga but overall the author has tried to keep a number of things consistent too. In this case if he aimed for his manga to have german influence then it makes sense most of his characters would have the intended race and ethnicity. As for why not having black or asian people... the most likely answer is that within the historical context of the manga having them would not really make sense. The people within the walls most likely originate from a few kingdoms at most from a presumably not very advanced civilization in regards to ours. In this regard it makes sense that the demographics of the people within the wall today would represent the demographics of the people who originally came to the wall. To boot there is the consideration that the manga itself is written by a Japanese person. Japan is one of the single most homogeneous nations in the world, that has the implication that the author himself grew up in an environment where he is unlikely to have seen anything but Japanese people for most of their lives. Isayama is unlikely to be in a situation where he/she would feel compelled to add characters of a given ethnicity or color.... Its already weird enough that isayama made a manga with virtually no Japanese people. Its not like in the US where the absence of a given ethnicity in something is seen as racism... Which results in things like commercials having precisely one person of each ethnicity in it (with microsoft being the champion of strategically placed dudes of specific races in specific adds). This is one of the few (if not the only) manga where it actually makes sense to assume most of the characters in it are white dudes (unlike 99% of other manga that actually do have mostly asian guys but people think are white like with naruto).

Anyways, as far as the black titan things, I think the whole thing responds to the race of the people who were turned into titans. There aren't black titans because there weren't a lot of black people among those turned into titans because black people weren't a numerous race wherever they originated. Or perhaps alternatively they were second class citizens in the society before the walls (which wouldn't be that strange a development honestly) and they were simply left behind for the titans in the past. For arguments sake, lets say a given population turns into titans. If the population corresponds to Japan demographics then it would be perfectly reasonable for 98.5% of titans to be Japanese. If it corresponds to USA demographics it would make sense that titans also correspond to their demographics.

Realistically speaking being black should actually present an advantage if titans really power up from the sun. White skin would reflect more light than otherwise colored skin. Black skin would not reflect much light at all, it would be more efficient at gathering solar power. Alternatively perhaps the issue with a black titan is that he would absorb too much light... and then heat up and die. Titans don't seem to sweat like we do nor do they have blood or things that would carry heat and energy around like we do. To boot titans are hot enough as they are to begin with. Maybe being black results in them heating up to a temperature where it actually damages the nape of their neck and die.

New Reply