Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Ukitake's persona: Vindictive or not?

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Ukitake's persona: Vindictive or not?

http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...49-page-9.html

While looking for Tousen getting his Asauchi I went a little further and saw this. He undid a seal, to seal Sokyoku in there. It's one damn powerful seal if you ask me. And something was there. Something that required sealing. But C46 didn't approve of letting Rukia go, so sealing Sokyoku in this was the only way. But what did Ukitake unseal? There's a lot of steam, smoke, whatever. Then it hit me

http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...61-page-9.html

He's in some hot bath, far away from SS. And what the hell is that thing next to him? I can't be sure if it's connected, but something had to be here. Or maybe Kubo just forgot about it and I think too much. But it's far far away from SS. If it's a thing he unsealed, that held great importance and was dangerous enough to seal it by Shihouin family, it's only logical it'd be far far far away.

Or the seal was sealed, so to seal Sokyoku he had to unseal the seal, which wouldn't make sense for me, but it's kind of a big thing of Shihouin, so maybe he had to bypass the protection to use it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What was unsealed by Ukitake back in SS arc?

I want to think there's something there, but:

this
    http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...9-page-10.html

and this:

Seem too different to me.
    Considering the circumstances of the second, more recent one, I'm going to venture a guess and say that Ukitake was doing some sort of power-up, healing thing when Seireitei vanished. He doesn't appear to be wearing any clothes in that one.

The image where Ukitake unsealed the Shihouin thing seems to be either in Seireitei or at least much closer to it, since he and Shunsui were able to make it in stop to stop the Sokyoku from destroying Rukia.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Exodi View Post
    I want to think there's something there, but:

this
    http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...9-page-10.html

and this:

Seem too different to me.
    Considering the circumstances of the second, more recent one, I'm going to venture a guess and say that Ukitake was doing some sort of power-up, healing thing when Seireitei vanished. He doesn't appear to be wearing any clothes in that one.

The image where Ukitake unsealed the Shihouin thing seems to be either in Seireitei or at least much closer to it, since he and Shunsui were able to make it in stop to stop the Sokyoku from destroying Rukia.
    We know Ukitake's VC could see through a window that Rukia's execution is starting. Other than that, we don't see anything. I'm not saying he got his seal from that place (but that'd explain smoke/steam). That's why I said it may have been taken far far away due to the danger it could pose (or influence it has or whatever bad thing it could do). If it's harmful, placing it far outside Seireitei, behind Shakonmaku is the most logical thing to do. I don't have enough evidence to say it's that strange flower (but if it IS that, it could be easily moved, unless it's a person), I'm merely trying to make something logical out of it. He could have unsealed mythical, ancient toothbrush passed down to Shihouin family that Yoruichi left after being exiled. We can't know for sure, that's why I started a thread to discuss, not to say I'm certain. It'd be strange to open a thread without having any idea. :P

I think we can agree that the flower will help Ukitake in getting power-up or heal his sickness. Otherwise he wouldn't prepare for battle by sitting next to it. At what cost? Komamura became a dog because he wanted to avenge Yamaji. Ukitake was like a son to Yamaji. He would do anything to avenge Yamaji I think. Even by using [crackpottheoryandunprovenandfanboyishcrap]the sacred flower, that could empower one's soul at cost of it's lifespan, thus being abused and sealed by G13 due to it's negative influence[/crackpottheoryandunprovenandfanboyishcrap]
    Last edited by Duniak; April 17, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it always looked like the seal thing had to do with getting the items that appeared in the next page. Basically he needed to undo a seal in order to be able to take those items.

As far as the more recent appearance, who knows. I think kubo in an interview or somethin said ukitake had already healed his sickness so perhaps that flower thing had something to do with it. I am not sure I can actually picture ukitake as the revenge type to be honest. He does not appear to have that sort of disposition.... I guess it would make sense if he did want it, I just don't see it in him....

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    To me it always looked like the seal thing had to do with getting the items that appeared in the next page. Basically he needed to undo a seal in order to be able to take those items.

As far as the more recent appearance, who knows. I think kubo in an interview or somethin said ukitake had already healed his sickness so perhaps that flower thing had something to do with it. I am not sure I can actually picture ukitake as the revenge type to be honest. He does not appear to have that sort of disposition.... I guess it would make sense if he did want it, I just don't see it in him....
    Yeah, but those items were a seal. Who would seal a seal? What for? O.o IMO unsealing a seal to seal something else is more likely.

What kind of disposition are you talking about? He doesn't need to be bloodlusty, arrogant, cocky and revenge-obsessed psycho to want to avenge Yamaji. Uryu also doesn't have that kind of disposition when you look at him. But when it came to his grandpa... Tousen also wanted revenge. Would he struck you as that type? Komamura also doesn't look like it. But he become an immortal dog to get his REVENGE on Yamaji. He even said he'll find Yhwach and fight him. There's no "revenge" disposition.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    Yeah, but those items were a seal. Who would seal a seal? What for? O.o IMO unsealing a seal to seal something else is more likely.

What kind of disposition are you talking about? He doesn't need to be bloodlusty, arrogant, cocky and revenge-obsessed psycho to want to avenge Yamaji. Uryu also doesn't have that kind of disposition when you look at him. But when it came to his grandpa... Tousen also wanted revenge. Would he struck you as that type? Komamura also doesn't look like it. But he become an immortal dog to get his REVENGE on Yamaji. He even said he'll find Yhwach and fight him. There's no "revenge" disposition.
    Were they seals? From what I recall they were used to destroy the sokyoku rather than seal it. They kinda seem to be more in the weapon department than the seal one. Still, one way or the other they are pretty valuable items,it would make sense for the owners to have some advanced kido guarding them.

Well, uryu was introduced in a revenge crazed mode if I recall. As for tousen, I would think he did seem like the crazed maniac type right from the get go. Just look at his attitude when fighting kenpachi or mutilating grimmjow. With komamura the whole thing was somewhat of a surprise for me. With ukitake my point is that he has been shown to be extremely cool headed and calm most of the time. I can't imagine him going like komamura or tousen. He has even been called the most peaceful man in SS (although ginjo's comment was more meant to alude at ukitake's more manipulative side).

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Were they seals? From what I recall they were used to destroy the sokyoku rather than seal it. They kinda seem to be more in the weapon department than the seal one. Still, one way or the other they are pretty valuable items,it would make sense for the owners to have some advanced kido guarding them.

Shoe, totally missed that one. Even in the chapter I provided Ukitake says "destroy the Sokyoku". Kinda kills the whole question. xd

Quote Quote:
    Well, uryu was introduced in a revenge crazed mode if I recall.

http://www.mangapanda.com/94-488-17/...hapter-34.html

Nah, he was introduced as a talented Quincy, calm and collected one. Later we got to know his hatred for Shinigamis. Before that, NOTHING indicated he is crazy for revenge. Imagine Ukitake helping Yhwach or Haschwald. Not happening. Uryu got over his hatred and helped Shinigami.

Quote Quote:
    As for tousen, I would think he did seem like the crazed maniac type right from the get go. Just look at his attitude when fighting kenpachi or mutilating grimmjow
    Oh, he seemed bad after 150-200 chapters? His attitude fighting Kenpachi was still his definition of justice. Yeah, we got to know he had wanted his revenge. But it's still was AFTER his fight against someone he HATED. BEFORE that fight, would you say he's a revenge maniac? When he spared Uryu and just made him pass out? Or when he talked with Komamura? Yamaji died recently. You can't say "Ukitake doesn't seem like a revenge type", while Yamaji died just 50 chapters ago or so. Since then we've hardly seen him. We did see him sad. Very sad. Depressed and hurt. He looked like he was crying for last 2 days and couldn't get a proper sleep. He couldn't even talk back when they started to argue. The same guy who was calm and composed while being attacked by Yamaji or during FKKT fights. The guy could smile to Lilynette and play with her, despite her being his sworn enemy.

http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...9-page-15.html
    http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...9-page-17.html

For me it's a big change. The change that makes anything we've seen until now meaningless. After all he never lost someone like Yamaji. We have no idea how he could have handled it. I can't see how his former or any "disposition" could be any indicator he'll not be going for a revenge. We've seen a happy guy who didn't have anyone to avenge. Judging him by that attitude won't do any good.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cracker's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoe, totally missed that one. Even in the chapter I provided Ukitake says "destroy the Sokyoku". Kinda kills the whole question. xd

http://www.mangapanda.com/94-488-17/...hapter-34.html

Nah, he was introduced as a talented Quincy, calm and collected one. Later we got to know his hatred for Shinigamis. Before that, NOTHING indicated he is crazy for revenge. Imagine Ukitake helping Yhwach or Haschwald. Not happening. Uryu got over his hatred and helped Shinigami.

Oh, he seemed bad after 150-200 chapters? His attitude fighting Kenpachi was still his definition of justice. Yeah, we got to know he had wanted his revenge. But it's still was AFTER his fight against someone he HATED. BEFORE that fight, would you say he's a revenge maniac? When he spared Uryu and just made him pass out? Or when he talked with Komamura? Yamaji died recently. You can't say "Ukitake doesn't seem like a revenge type", while Yamaji died just 50 chapters ago or so. Since then we've hardly seen him. We did see him sad. Very sad. Depressed and hurt. He looked like he was crying for last 2 days and couldn't get a proper sleep. He couldn't even talk back when they started to argue. The same guy who was calm and composed while being attacked by Yamaji or during FKKT fights. The guy could smile to Lilynette and play with her, despite her being his sworn enemy.

http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...9-page-15.html
    http://www.mangastream.to/bleach-cha...9-page-17.html

For me it's a big change. The change that makes anything we've seen until now meaningless. After all he never lost someone like Yamaji. We have no idea how he could have handled it. I can't see how his former or any "disposition" could be any indicator he'll not be going for a revenge. We've seen a happy guy who didn't have anyone to avenge. Judging him by that attitude won't do any good.
    I agree. The next time we see him he could be completely opposite though it's still possible he hasn't changed much after he has somewhat recovered. Only time will tell the route Kubo takes with him...either way I'm sorry for the first guy he fights.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Would mod be so kind to delete this thread, as it was based on false assumption, that Sokyoku was sealed? ;d

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Would mod be so kind to delete this thread, as it was based on false assumption, that Sokyoku was sealed? ;d
    Well, if you want, I can close the thread, though I don't see any harm in letting it stay open.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    Well, if you want, I can close the thread, though I don't see any harm in letting it stay open.
    If you want to keep it open, at least change the thread name, as the topic has already changed to Ukitake's disposition and revenge. But I don't think there's anything else to discuss on that matter.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to keep it open, at least change the thread name, as the topic has already changed to Ukitake's disposition and revenge. But I don't think there's anything else to discuss on that matter.
    Done. This should be more appropriate.

Well, let me throw in my own two cents on the matter, then. I believe Ukitake isn't the type who would be overwhelmed by his emotions in the battlefield. However, he is also a calm and collected person who can clearly see these guys are not people you can sympathize with in any sort of way. He won't be showing any mercy, I would say.

There is a certain difference between Hollow and Quincy. Hollow are not inherently "bad" guys. They are the other side of the medallion in soul balance. Souls do not seek to become hollows, either. That's fundamentally different from Quincy, who are fighting for power and dominance over SS organization. They are the real "villains", if I may say so.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    Done. This should be more appropriate.

Well, let me throw in my own two cents on the matter, then. I believe Ukitake isn't the type who would be overwhelmed by his emotions in the battlefield. However, he is also a calm and collected person who can clearly see these guys are not people you can sympathize with in any sort of way. He won't be showing any mercy, I would say.

There is a certain difference between Hollow and Quincy. Hollow are not inherently "bad" guys. They are the other side of the medallion in soul balance. Souls do not seek to become hollows, either. That's fundamentally different from Quincy, who are fighting for power and dominance over SS organization. They are the real "villains", if I may say so.
    The thing with Kyoraku, Ukitake and Yamaji is when something happens to one of them young ones lose his cool. Yamaji was perfectly fine with killing them when they destroyed Sokyoku. But when Yamaji died, Kyoraku got shot because he completely lost his cool and let his guard down. When Wonderweiss attacked Ukitake, Kyoraku did the same thing and got shot by Stark. And when Yamaji died, it was Kyoraku who was more collected and calm, while Ukitake looked depressed. That's why I think he's more likely to be overwhelmed by emotions during a fight. Merciless yet sorrowful Ukitake, that's the type I'd like to see. Obliterating and burning his enemies alive saying "Yamaji didn't get any mercy from you, don't expect it from me", with sad expression.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ukitake's persona: Vindictive or not?

Ukitake was sad like any other captain. Kyoraku just put it to the captains that they shouldn't be fighting amongst eachother. When Ukitake was run through by wonderweise, Kyoraku was about to lop his body in two, anyone would do that. Starrk just took advantage of the situation. Same with Yama's death. Those are the only instances Kyoraku has shown vulnerability. I think any character would do the same. I don't think they'll lose their cool anymore.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ukitake's persona: Vindictive or not?

Quote Originally Posted by freshseth83 View Post
    Ukitake was sad like any other captain. Kyoraku just put it to the captains that they shouldn't be fighting amongst eachother. When Ukitake was run through by wonderweise, Kyoraku was about to lop his body in two, anyone would do that. Starrk just took advantage of the situation. Same with Yama's death. Those are the only instances Kyoraku has shown vulnerability. I think any character would do the same. I don't think they'll lose their cool anymore.
    You have the strongest Arrancar in front of you, yet you show him your back and run to save Ukitake? Nah, he got emotional. I'm not saying it was bad or anything. If he kept his cool he would at least do something so Stark wouldn't follow him immediately. Bushougama, attacking Wonderweiss with Kage Oni? He wasn't using his games back then, though. Screaming "YAMAJI!" when he had SR in front of him was also stupid. He can cry and scream all he wants, AFTER he destroys his enemy. Which he was doing by the way. He could have killed the guy if he used any of his abilities. SR had a big cut in his gut, had to use Vollstandig to survive.
    Last edited by Duniak; April 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM.

New Reply