Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: Rate this chapter! (Average rating: 8.8 / 10)

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 (Perfection)

44 54.32%
  • 9 (Epic)

16 19.75%
  • 8 (Very Good)

8 9.88%
  • 7 (Good)

5 6.17%
  • 6 (Bit Above Average)

2 2.47%
  • 5 (Average)

2 2.47%
  • 4 (Bit Below Average)

1 1.23%
  • 3 (Bad)

1 1.23%
  • 2 (Very Bad)

0 0%
  • 1 (Garbage)

1 1.23%
  • 0 (I'm done with Claymore)

1 1.23%
New Reply
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Claymore 150 Discussion / 151 Prediction

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 150 Discussion / 151 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    We don't know for sure if she was ever actually raped. I always thought that she was but Teresa's comment made me think otherwise. Maybe Clare was never raped but just physically abused.
    yeah....maybe
    but,the child thing is definitely something to think about....i wonder
    But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie. Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member claremore's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Teresa's comment doesn't imply anything, whether she was raped or not does not effect being chaste.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner clarakiss's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

finally read the new chappy and i know that i've been always fashionably late to post too! but wat the guud chappy it was! it's funny how teresa playfully hit raki after sorta petting him on the head. lol i knew she was gonna do sumthin' like that to him. guud stuff!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Number A's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claremore View Post
    Teresa's comment doesn't imply anything, whether she was raped or not does not effect being chaste.
    True dat. I think the point of that comment is to wind up Raki (and the fandom) and not to make any sort of meaningful statement about Clare's prior sexual experiences.

That's no fun, though, so instead consider the following:

Chasity (noun) The state or practice of refraining from extramarital, or especially from all, sexual intercourse.
    Virginity (noun) The state of never having had sexual intercourse.
    (source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/)

Notice it's possible to be chaste without being a virgin? Now let's all go to the translation thread and bug Utsune about which Yagi meant ^_^
    Last edited by Number A; May 19, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Number A View Post
    True dat. I think the point of that comment is to wind up Raki (and the fandom) and not to make any sort of meaningful statement about Clare's prior sexual experiences.

That's no fun, though, so instead consider the following:

Chasity (noun) The state or practice of refraining from extramarital, or especially from all, sexual intercourse.
    Virginity (noun) The state of never having had sexual intercourse.
    (source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/)

Notice it's possible to be chaste without being a virgin? Now let's all go to the translation thread and bug Utsune about which Yagi meant ^_^
    as silly as it may sound, i always viewed clare as a reborn virgin again. lol remember the time when raciella almost completely consume most of clare's body? When she regenerated her body, that new body of hers hasn't yet experienced anything sexual. she may not be a virgin yes, but her new body has not experience sex like her old body which was eaten by raciella.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

If we want to get technical (we probably don't) regeneration is a thing so there's no reason any girl with an intact hymen who got made into a warrior would ever stop physically being a virgin. Please tell me I'm not the only person who noticed this > _ <
    Last edited by Number A; May 19, 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I think you're the only person who's noticed that.

tbh

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Clarakiss & Irene, could you two PM me so I can chat with you on your thoughts?

As far as the current plot goes, my thoughts for the short term next few chapters is that Yagi will use Galatea & the current gen warriors to perform color commentary & play by play as Teresa & Pricilla battle with some internal yoki subtleties. That seems to be the current set up.

The bigger picture seems to be that Yagi wants to transition to a newer plot antagonism once this battle resolves. I look at the steady progression toward self controlled awakenings as the primary timekeeper in the Claymore story. In the recent chapters, Miata & now Claire have made small steps in that direction, but Claire isn't awakened, she's just playing Rafelea to Teresa playing Lucilia. So she's in the same role Galatea was with Miata.

I suspect that Yagi will use internal strife between the current gen warriors & the ghosts as a later plot device, & also strife between the islands citizens & the warriors in general to return to the sense of oppression that was present pre-pieta.

Not sure what the timeline is on all that unfolding though.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If we want to get technical (we probably don't) regeneration is a thing so there's no reason any girl with an intact hymen who got made into a warrior would ever stop physically being a virgin. Please tell me I'm not the only person who noticed this > _ <
    i guess i wasn't actually clear with wat i meant. lol ah... how can i say this. clare's new body is still not a virigin and hymen also not intact but the body itself has not gone through the new process of having sex. Her old body got defiled by yomas/raped and this new body of hers ain't and is a new start to start all over. i wonder that's wat teresa meant by saying chastity, since it's a new body? idk.. that's just wat i think/assuming.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO even if your hymen regenerates, if you've had intercourse before, it doesn't turn you back into a virgin. My idea of the 'physical state' is related to the action and not determined by physical features (inversely, one is still a virgin if you've never had sex but loses her hymen through other means.) On the other hand, one may have had sex but at some point decide to uphold chastity (a renewed belief you could say?) and wishes to refrain from it. From then onward, the girl is said to be maintaining her chastity until she *changes her mind* for someone. Note that if she were raped somewhere along the way, her chastity, which is a form of virtue, is not lost. At least this is how I define it.

What interest me is that Teresa brings up the word and hence idea. I'm still uncertain where there's a deeper meaning behind the word, or if it is specifically pertaining to sex (I do believe the definition for chastity can expand beyond regarding sexual intercourse.) If I remember correctly someone (Michael?) did ask about one of the descriptions for the relationship between Cassy and Roxanne a long time ago, about them "sleeping together" and whatnot. The original text used there is in a sense a bit archaic, which in turn possibly suggest a sexual relationship. Combined with Helen's comment about Raki being Clare's 'toy' from the very beginning of the manga, it is evident there is probably a lot of sexual activity in the background among the warriors. It would make sense to think that, if Teresa had always been observing from within Clare, Clare honestly did refrain from those activities despite the otherwise is true for her peers, and hence Teresa's specific comment on this issue.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's getting a little...

Caliente

Nooo, no, no....

Try this:

Looks like we all need some...

CLARIfication

One last zinger:

I'm pretty sure super humans don't...

TERESA-ly

Get it? Like... tear easily... as in... hym...

nvm...

I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK PEOPLE!
    Last edited by TacoCat; May 20, 2014 at 01:53 AM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoCat View Post
    TERESA-ly
    I knew there was a dirty joke in there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    it is evident there is probably a lot of sexual activity in the background among the warriors.
    You think? I'm sure it happens every now and again but my sense of things is that it's fairly uncommon. Let's review all the times sex is either explicity mentioned or heavily implied:I've probably missed a scene or two, but from what we've seen sex only really comes up when it's either rape (the bandits), which is more about control and humiliation than desire, or when someone is trying to be provocative (Helen, Teresa, Cassandra). There's also Agatha whose forwardness seems to be used to show how disinhibited awakened ones are. Honestly, this is all consistent with a socially conservative culture where sex is seen as private, and maybe a little shameful.

Also, consider the in-manga reactions to nudity:Again there's this strong sense that nakedness is inappropriate. If you look at the background scenes, village men women are typically modestly dressed. This further reenforces my sense of their culture as rather old-fashioned. I would think that girls raised in such an environment who end up in bodies they see as undesirable would generally take a 'can't miss a place you've never been' attitude to sex and not think about it too much.
    Last edited by Number A; May 20, 2014 at 08:35 AM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ophelia was quite sexual....agatha was a good example of,claymores think about and have sex...
    she showed that once awakening...the lust was still there...she only replaced her sexual pleasure for the pleasure of guts
    But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie. Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

What I'm referring to is sexual activity among the warriors, not in general society. Sure the society could be conservative, but the straightforwardness of Helen making a provocative comment, or Cassy licking Roxanne, or them "sharing a pillow" in the past (which may be interpreted as an archaic way of saying they make love in the original text,) or Agatha's open lust, Luciela's comment on Isley's form, (also Clare held captive and probably being sexually abused by the youma in the past,) these all make me think the 'change in attitude' (away from what society finds acceptable, in this case things related to sex) is due to the "corruption" by the youma flesh. (I would say the corruption is in *giving in* to these activities, for say weakening or erasing their self-control, rather than the activities themselves.) As Teresa implies, Clare seems to be able to hold from succumbing to these activities that her *peers* deem acceptable (I'm not saying they do these things often, but I would also like to point out the difference between proactively keeping one's chastity, and the absence of sexual activities regardless of virtue,) and Teresa's dialogue about Clare's chastity carries a strong compliment, commending Clare's virtue and effort.

Despite being an acceptable and possibly common practice within the ranks, Yagi refrains from directly touching the issue and expands his universe through only a handful of hints, leaving the rest for speculation like what I'm doing now lol (consider Claymore to be a more young-audience-friendly version of Berserk in that sense.) Though the hints are few, from their somewhat nonchalant references and actions, every mentioning (as listed in the above paragraph) appears as though they were talking about a subject that pertains their nature/everyday life. The biggest reference of all is of course the explanation for when they awaken, which the feeling is akin to sexual gratification.

As for your links, there are several notes I'd like to point out:
    - Though Clarice's background is not written, she is generally portrayed as a very human Claymore (her youma blood is weak, so maybe corruption due to such is weak?) In addition, a big part of her rebuking Miata is about showing their scars as well.
    - Duff is not freaking out about Riful being topless. The moment she takes her top off, he knows she's going outside. He just doesn't want her to go outside. His surprised appearance is more like a voice of concern.
    - Helen worries about how Raki sees their scars, not their naked bodies in particular, and Raki is fully human after all (not a Claymore.)
    - Helen is concerned about Deneve going topless in front of the young trainees because they have probably lived lives as humans 5-7 times longer than they have been Claymore, they're still more 'pure' in that they have yet to be 'corrupted' by the Org or the youma ways. (They have yet/are going through puberty, whether or not that does something to them is purely speculative, but I think I can force and make up an argument here. I would consider Miata an anomaly altogether, as her mental state seems to be greatly affected by the Org's experiments on her at such a young age.)

Once again, the fact that Teresa specifically compliments her on not succumbing to such temptations further reinforces that Clare has changed Teresa, enough so that *if* it were really true these activities were common among the Claymore, Teresa comments on this specifically, or at the very least she hints she's not as pure as Clare. Finally, Yagi's portrayal of Clare returning to her childhood is a metaphor for Clare's persistence in keeping her virtue not only with regards to sexual activities but also as a general, noble human being, whether it is withstanding the corruption of youma flesh (with the help of her friends,) or the loss of sympathy/empathy (her picking up Raki is a strong piece of evidence.) This isn't the first time it's been shown somewhere deep within them, under their youma-corrupted selves, lies the innocent girl they once were, with the simplest of wishes (Ophelia's death reconciles her with her brother at least in ideal and dreams, Priscilla's wedge.)

With all that's said, I do notice a change of tone in the warriors' attitude since the Pieta arc. My speculation is mainly to do with the tone of the story pre-Pieta. The focus of the story post-Pieta is not so much the dark side of the series, but rather how the Ghosts intend to bring about a revolution, ending the pain and corruption the Org beings to the girls.

/rant. These are implications I *think* Yagi is hinting at, or a message of the story. The hints are few in numbers, so the above really is nothing more than speculations. Sorry if I sound unintelligible, I should be working

20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

haha...yes
    if they indeed go thru puberty...which should be obvious,they grow breast
    then they may infact be able to bare children....

i think if the awakened form of most females still have breast...why wouldn't the males have penises?
    i believe riful and dauf had to have fooled around quite a bit...how long were they together...quite a few decades...

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

even homosexuality...chronos/lars
    roxanne/cassandra...probably happens more than we think in the claymore world
    Last edited by gnut; May 20, 2014 at 01:07 PM.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast