Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

  1. #1
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Australopithecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Country
    Morocco
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    The middle initial "D" is always described as a will.

    Description of the will of D

    Those with the will of D are known to be unbelievably persistent when their eyes are set on an aim.
    They are also known for their fearlessness. Roger, Luffy, Ace, and Rouge have welcomed their deaths with a smile on their faces.
    Spoiler show


    Roger, in chapter zero, was outnumbered by Shiki's pirate fleet, yet he fearlessly defied and managed to defeat him.
    Spoiler show


    They always keep fighting as said by Robin in Alabasta when she saved Luffy from being sucked by sand," all of you who carry D, why do you keep on fighting?"(Chapter 180).


    They are known to shine among many by the grand actions they accomplish.
    Spoiler show

    Rouge has kept her unborn child in her womb for 20 months out of sheer will, something that is impossible for any other woman. Dragon is aiming to overthrow the World Government. Roger due to his actions was described as the Pirate King not only by pirates but also by the World Government and the Marines. For the World Government to keep saying such charismatic word about a pirate, who's regarded in their eyes as the embodiment of evil, his actions must be out of this world.

    Luffy has displayed such will on many occasions:

    1) when he carried Nami on his back & was grabbing Sanji with his mouth while climbing the 5000 meter vertical rock to Dr. Kureha's castle under the extreme weather conditions to save the lives of his adored comrades.
    Spoiler show

    2) When he fought against Magellan's poison with only 2 or 3% chance of survival thanks to Iva's help. Not only did he manage to overpower the poison and came out victorious but he also did it in 1/3 of the expected time.
    Spoiler show


    When I was meditating on the impressive qualities of this will and how it exceeds even the will of steel metaphorically, it occurred to me that next hard thing tougher than steel is DIAMOND: The will of Diamond.

    Diamond has "D" as an initial. And when I tried to see the characteristics of diamond, to my surprise, I found out that they have similar qualities.

    Some commonly known characteristics of diamond:
    • hardest mineral
    • beautiful
    • shiny
    • rare



    -The hardest part is a descriptive quality of the hardness of such will.

    -The will to protect your loved ones and fight to death for such cause is beautiful, don't you think so?

    -Like I said a little earlier, those with D are known to shine among many by the grand actions they accomplish.

    -As for the rarity, those with the D are scarce.


    Further information on the word "diamond."
    -According to Wiki.,
    Quote Quote:
    the name diamond is derived from the ancient Greek αδάμας (adámas), "proper", "unalterable", "unbreakable", "untamed", from ἀ- (a-), "un-" + δαμάω (damáō), "I overpower", "I tame".
    (copy & paste to facilitate things for me)

    All those carriers of the will of D show these characteristics. They are untamable. They are unalterable. An example of this is when Luffy sets his eyes on something, you can't change his mind about it. Like when this crewmates were about to be swallowed by the whirlpool through which the Knock-Up Stream shoots upwards(Skypea), they couldn't get him to change his mind. And their will is unbreakable. Even though Luffy lost his brother, Ace, his will wasn't broken, but rather strengthened to protect his loved ones and to make sure the same mistake doesn't happen again.

    -Gold D. Roger has the word "gold" in his name. And to emphasize the idea, Oda-sensei even named the ship(Roger's ship) as "Oro Jackson." Oro is Spanish & Italian for "gold." It shouldn't be surprising therefore for D. to be an abbreviation for diamond.

    Thank you all for reading.

  2. #2
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dubai
    Country
    India
    Age
    17
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Nice theory. But that last line isnt related to the topic at all is it? Rogers real name was gol D rogers. The marines wanted to hide thaat he was a D and changed it to gold roger. Just so u know.

  3. #3
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    I don't think the manga ever actually said the marines were hiding the fact that roger was a D. Its simply a nickname which makes a disturbing amount of sense.

    So the will of D is will of Diamond? I mean, it kinda fits in the looses of ways but after reading the manga for so long I don't think the importance of D would lie in this sort of thing... As in D having a literal meaning which is relevant to the story. I would think the meaning of D lies more in the context in the manga, in the importance Ds have had through history and the origin of people who have that in their name. In that particular regard it is extremely likely that the manga has simply not given us any real hints and the meaning and significance of D beyond them being relevant in ancient history and future events. Realistically speaking "will of Diamond" means precisely nothing to us as readers.

  4. #4
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Blackbeard has a "D" in his name, and he altered his plan - rather than going after Luffy he went after Ace. though, Blackbeard was said to be different from the other D in that he was bad/committed a crime.

    I don't think the Will of D is related to diamonds in any way, more like it could be the will of the D's ancestor or the spirit of the D that passes on to the next generation, much like Ashura and Indra in Naruto. From what we have seen from people with D in their name, the Ds somehow play a part in changing the world or having some kind of impact on the world. Garp has probably saved so many people from pirates, Roger ushered in a pirate era, Dragon is overthrowing corrupted kingdoms or rulers, Luffy is currently taking on the World Government, Rouge gave birth to Ace, who made a big name for himself and probably influenced Luffy into what he is, and Blackbeard killed Whitebeard and became a Yonkou.

    Although this probably goes without a saying, I think Luffy is the embodiment of the Will of D. Whitebeard thought Blackbeard (and maybe Ace?) were the Ds that Roger was looking for, but he changed his mind after Blackbeard killed his own crew mate. Whitebeard also put everything he had into the future, he invested in Luffy and began to think Luffy was the one that Roger talked about with how Luffy kept trying to save Ace no matter what. Luffy would have preferred to died trying to save Ace than let his injuries take over and fail to save Ace.

    If Luffy is really the true inheritor of the Will of D, this just made Luffy, the crew, and the manga all the more interesting for me.

  5. #5
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    dans ton cul!
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Law obviously knows about the Will of D.I hope Oda reveals something about it in Law's flashback, because I have a feeling that the person called Cora(or Corazon) was a D. I have my little theory about the Ds actually. They seem to be individuals with great goals and when they die someone inherits their will ,so in a way they influence destiny. So D could stand for Destiny. Of course there are other theories but I don't think it's really important right now to know what the Ds are, maybe by the end of the manga it will become important.

  6. #6
    The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drinking Rum
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    Law obviously knows about the Will of D.I hope Oda reveals something about it in Law's flashback, because I have a feeling that the person called Cora(or Corazon) was a D. I have my little theory about the Ds actually. They seem to be individuals with great goals and when they die someone inherits their will ,so in a way they influence destiny. So D could stand for Destiny. Of course there are other theories but I don't think it's really important right now to know what the Ds are, maybe by the end of the manga it will become important.
    So Sabo inherited Ace's WILL? But via his DF? Maybe Roger had the gomu gomu no mi and it was inherited by Luffy via the fruit? Maybe Vegapunk knows? But Sabo is not a D. ... lol.

  7. #7
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    dans ton cul!
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    I never said it was through the DF lol.

  8. #8
    The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drinking Rum
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    I never said it was through the DF lol.
    No just open speculation, lol. you are welcomed to start a thread for it. It got me interested now.

    As for the diamond stuff, it can very well be if the WILL OF D is a metaphor, but given how the characters speak of it it's not that metaphorical, so far I think it's implied that they share common characteristics but how that is is unknown, since it might even imply coming from the same family, or group of families that hold the D. Or perhaps one family that split into many later.

  9. #9
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    dans ton cul!
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    No just open speculation, lol. you are welcomed to start a thread for it. It got me interested now.

    As for the diamond stuff, it can very well be if the WILL OF D is a metaphor, but given how the characters speak of it it's not that metaphorical, so far I think it's implied that they share common characteristics but how that is is unknown, since it might even imply coming from the same family, or group of families that hold the D. Or perhaps one family that split into many later.
    No need to. I like the theory about them belonging to the same family, maybe they had a common ancestor who's name started with D, and they kept the letter.

  10. #10
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Australopithecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Country
    Morocco
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Blackbeard has a "D" in his name, and he altered his plan - rather than going after Luffy he went after Ace. though, Blackbeard was said to be different from the other D in that he was bad/committed a crime.

    I don't think the Will of D is related to diamonds in any way, more like it could be the will of the D's ancestor or the spirit of the D that passes on to the next generation, much like Ashura and Indra in Naruto. From what we have seen from people with D in their name, the Ds somehow play a part in changing the world or having some kind of impact on the world. Garp has probably saved so many people from pirates, Roger ushered in a pirate era, Dragon is overthrowing corrupted kingdoms or rulers, Luffy is currently taking on the World Government, Rouge gave birth to Ace, who made a big name for himself and probably influenced Luffy into what he is, and Blackbeard killed Whitebeard and became a Yonkou.

    Although this probably goes without a saying, I think Luffy is the embodiment of the Will of D. Whitebeard thought Blackbeard (and maybe Ace?) were the Ds that Roger was looking for, but he changed his mind after Blackbeard killed his own crew mate. Whitebeard also put everything he had into the future, he invested in Luffy and began to think Luffy was the one that Roger talked about with how Luffy kept trying to save Ace no matter what. Luffy would have preferred to died trying to save Ace than let his injuries take over and fail to save Ace.

    If Luffy is really the true inheritor of the Will of D, this just made Luffy, the crew, and the manga all the more interesting for me.


    Not even figuratively? The inheritance of D is also another trait of Ds. So far, we have scanty information regarding D, and that very info. could very well serve as a support for my theory. But then, the theory would too verbose and intimidating boring to my dear readers. If I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out. I do admit that my theory might be wrong when further info. about D is revealed by the author, but for now, I see it as a possibility.

    Blackbeard is not like them. He has displayed traits that are incongruous with those with the will of D. Those with D are fighting for freedom, whereas Bb is fighting for power, subjugation, & conquest.


    Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    Law obviously knows about the Will of D.I hope Oda reveals something about it in Law's flashback, because I have a feeling that the person called Cora(or Corazon) was a D. I have my little theory about the Ds actually. They seem to be individuals with great goals and when they die someone inherits their will ,so in a way they influence destiny. So D could stand for Destiny. Of course there are other theories but I don't think it's really important right now to know what the Ds are, maybe by the end of the manga it will become important.
    Law is most likely just using deductive reasoning in the syllogistic form:

    All of those who have D in their names(Roger; Dragon, albeit Dragon's full name, D included, was a mystery according to the statement of a marine in Water 7; and Ace) have brought forth storms(figuratively, of course).
    Luffy is a D.
    Thus, Luffy will bring forth a storm.

    It could be interpreted this way. Even Robin who doesn't know what D is has taken notice of it. The only people who are confirmed to know what D is are some of the Roger pirates and Whitebeard. The two other possibilities are the archaeologists & scholars of Ohara and the supreme leader of the revolutionary army, Dragon. Unless Law has made contact with one of these people and started a conversation on D, it is highly unlikely for him to know about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    No just open speculation, lol. you are welcomed to start a thread for it. It got me interested now.

    As for the diamond stuff, it can very well be if the WILL OF D is a metaphor, but given how the characters speak of it it's not that metaphorical, so far I think it's implied that they share common characteristics but how that is is unknown, since it might even imply coming from the same family, or group of families that hold the D. Or perhaps one family that split into many later.
    Depending on how it may be used in the text which will be revealing the truth behind D, it could be used as a metaphor, simile, or personification. The will of the progenitor of D may have had diamond as a byword that will later be taken by his children to honor him for the prominently outstanding deeds he accomplished in the blank century or even way before. But like I said before, this is just a theory that may be wrong. Still, I find it a good idea to share it than to keep it solely to myself. It gives us a new perspective from which we could view the will of D.
    Last edited by Australopithecus; April 26, 2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: poor choice of words

  11. #11
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    dans ton cul!
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Australopithecus View Post
    Law is most likely just using deductive reasoning in the syllogistic form
    All of those who have D in their names(Roger; Dragon, albeit Dragon's full name, D included, was a mystery according to the statement of a marine in Water 7; and Ace) have brought forth storms(figuratively, of course).
    Luffy is a D.
    Thus, Luffy will bring forth a storm.

    It could be interpreted this way. Even Robin who doesn't know what D is has taken notice of it. The only people who are confirmed to know what D is are some of the Roger pirates and Whitebeard. The two other possibilities are the archaeologists & scholars of Ohara and the supreme leader of the revolutionary army, Dragon. Unless Law has made contact with one of these people and started a conversation on D, it is highly unlikely for him to know about it.
    .
    Aren't you forgetting someone? Dr Kureha knows about the will of D, it was even the first time that it was introduced as a concept if I remember correctly. I said Law could know about it not just because he deduced it(anyone can at this point) but because he might have known a D, namely Cora-san. It's just a theory but it would be nice if it actually happened, that way we could get more info on the will of D through his flashback. And if this Cora-san is dead, then he definitely inherited his or her will, by going after DD.

  12. #12
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Australopithecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Country
    Morocco
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    Aren't you forgetting someone? Dr Kureha knows about the will of D, it was even the first time that it was introduced as a concept if I remember correctly. I said Law could know about it not just because he deduced it(anyone can at this point) but because he might have known a D, namely Cora-san. It's just a theory but it would be nice if it actually happened, that way we could get more info on the will of D through his flashback. And if this Cora-san is dead, then he definitely inherited his or her will, by going after DD.
    It completely slipped my mind. Yes, Dr. Kureha seems to know about D. And indeed, she was the first person to ever mention the will of D.,"so it still lives on, the will of D."
    One piece wikia has wrong info in this regard. It says that robin was the first one to mention D, yet when one thinks about it, Drum Island precedes Alabasta chronologically. It is a possibility that Kora is a D, but there is only one thing about which I have a different notion. According to many hints about D in the storyline, only those who carry D in their names inherit the will of one another. Law is not a D, but his vindictive actions towards Dofy can be viewed as a sign of adoration towards Kora. kora may as well be his adoptive father. As far as I remember, he referred to him as Kora-san, which means Mr. Kora. In most cases, only someone younger refers to older people respectfully in such a way. I highly doubt Law will refer to his cronies in such a formal way. There is another possibility though: it could be that Law talks about the deceased in such a respectful way, regardless of who they previously were.

  13. #13
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    dans ton cul!
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Australopithecus View Post
    It completely slipped my mind. Yes, Dr. Kureha seems to know about D. And indeed, she was the first person to ever mention the will of D.,"so it still lives on, the will of D."
    One piece wikia has wrong info in this regard. It says that robin was the first one to mention D, yet when one thinks about it, Drum Island precedes Alabasta chronologically. It is a possibility that Kora is a D, but there is only one thing about which I have a different notion. According to many hints about D in the storyline, only those who carry D in their names inherit the will of one another. Law is not a D, but his vindictive actions towards Dofy can be viewed as a sign of adoration towards Kora. kora may as well be his adoptive father. As far as I remember, he referred to him as Kora-san, which means Mr. Kora. In most cases, only someone younger refers to older people respectfully in such a way. I highly doubt Law will refer to his cronies in such a formal way. There is another possibility though: it could be that Law talks about the deceased in such a respectful way, regardless of who they previously were.
    Didn't Robin inherit Jaguar D Saul's will? He told her that no one was meant to be alone, and that she had to go and make friends or something like that. There's also Ace's will that seems to have been inherited by Sabo. My point is that the one who inherits the will of D doesn't have to be a D himself, but it tends to be the case most of the time.
    There's a theory about Cora being one of DD's officers and Law's mentor. The heart seat in DD's crew is vacant, and Cora could be short for Corazon, which is heart in Spanish. Law had a sweater with the name Corazon on the back when he was in Green Bit, and then there's the name of his crew, the Heart pirates. So this Cora or Corazon person was part of DD's crew, possibly their doctor, but since she's not there anymore she must be dead. That's the most logical explanation to why Law wants to get revenge on DD.

  14. #14
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Australopithecus View Post
    Not even figuratively? The inheritance of D is also another trait of Ds. So far, we have scanty information regarding D, and that very info. could very well serve as a support for my theory. But then, the theory would too verbose and intimidating to my dear readers. If I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out. I do admit that my theory might be wrong when further info. about D is revealed by the author, but for now, I see it as a possibility.

    Blackbeard is not like them. He has displayed traits that are incongruous with those with the will of D. Those with D are fighting for freedom, whereas Bb is fighting for power, subjugation, & conquest.
    I think the inheritance of D could be associated with the people themselves. Ace and Roger's will were inherited not because they were D, but because of the kind of people they were, and the relationships they had. Garp's will be inherited by some Marines out of admiration for his strength and dedication to getting rid of pirates, for example.

    Nothing wrong with sharing theories, all I'm doing is discussing it. However, I am not sure if you are insulting your "dear readers" by claiming your theory would be too verbose and intimidating.


    But one thing Blackbeard has in common with the other Ds is that he's shaking up the world and becoming a huge name. Although, maybe he doesn't really have 'D' as his middle name?

  15. #15
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Australopithecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Country
    Morocco
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Will of D. Mystery Revealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladylola View Post
    Didn't Robin inherit Jaguar D Saul's will? He told her that no one was meant to be alone, and that she had to go and make friends or something like that. There's also Ace's will that seems to have been inherited by Sabo. My point is that the one who inherits the will of D doesn't have to be a D himself, but it tends to be the case most of the time.
    There's a theory about Cora being one of DD's officers and Law's mentor. The heart seat in DD's crew is vacant, and Cora could be short for Corazon, which is heart in Spanish. Law had a sweater with the name Corazon on the back when he was in Green Bit, and then there's the name of his crew, the Heart pirates. So this Cora or Corazon person was part of DD's crew, possibly their doctor, but since she's not there anymore she must be dead. That's the most logical explanation to why Law wants to get revenge on DD.
    How did she inherit his will? The inheritance of the will D is like reincarnation in Hinduism. Roger before he surrendered himself to the marines, he had said to Rayleigh that he will not die. He was also shown in his youthful days to emanate a striking facial resemblance to Luffy. Luffy also has a similar character to Roger, as it was stated by Gan fall, the God of Skypea. SO even though their physical body is destroyed by death, their jiva(the immortal essence or soul of a living organism, according to Hinduism & Jainism) takes on another body. Furthermore, Wb referred to their will as their "flame." "You may eradicate their bloodline, but their flame will never be extinguished. Just like the man who inherited roger's will, there will appear a man who will inherit Ace's will." - WB
    This leads to me to think that their will is their soul. Just think for a sec., if you rob someone completely of his will, how would he be any different from a soulless, anthropomorphic shell? And how is a will any different from a soul?

    I hardly see a D working under someone as evil as Doflamingo. And where was it confirmed that Cora is a "she"? All we had is a name and a reason behind Law's resentment of Dofy.


    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I think the inheritance of D could be associated with the people themselves. Ace and Roger's will were inherited not because they were D, but because of the kind of people they were, and the relationships they had. Garp's will be inherited by some Marines out of admiration for his strength and dedication to getting rid of pirates, for example.

    Nothing wrong with sharing theories, all I'm doing is discussing it. However, I am not sure if you are insulting your "dear readers" by claiming your theory would be too verbose and intimidating.


    But one thing Blackbeard has in common with the other Ds is that he's shaking up the world and becoming a huge name. Although, maybe he doesn't really have 'D' as his middle name?
    You are welcome to discuss it. And I am not insulting anybody. Why would I? And what would I gain from such a despicable act? I am too one of those readers who like brevity instead of wordiness. I apologize for any unintended discomfort.

    Your previous assertion however clearly states that he is a D and now...

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Blackbeard has a "D" in his name, and he altered his plan - rather than going after Luffy he went after Ace. though, Blackbeard was said to be different from the other D in that he was bad/committed a crime.
    Last edited by Australopithecus; April 23, 2014 at 04:26 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts