Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: 受け継ぎし血肉

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

受け継ぎし血肉

Hi, I'm having trouble with the term in the title. It is taken from this phrase:
    受け継ぎし血肉は、
    微笑の戦士   

I know that normally 受け継ぎし者 can be simply translated into "successor," but I'm confused if the same literary logic applies to 受け継ぎし血肉 or any other similar terms* because no matter how I look at it, it means (1) "The flesh that is inherited" rather than (2) "The flesh that is the inheritor" (i.e. the flesh itself is taking over instead of being something that is passed around.) I feel I am gravely mistaken about something...

In short, I'm stuck between choosing between the following two:
    In case (1), the implication would be "Bishou no sensi's flesh is inherited"
    In case (2), it would be "Bishou no sensi's flesh is inheriting"

*(Eg. Typically I would think "受け継ぎし勇気" = "the inherited bravery," "受け継ぎし運命" = "the inherited desinty" etc.)

I would be grateful if someone could break down the grammar in this phrase for me.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 受け継ぎし血肉

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    受け継ぎし血肉は、
    微笑の戦士   
    受け継ぎし:受け継ぎたる is probably more proper
    血肉: Have you considered using definition 2? ( 血と肉。また、生身のからだ。 血縁のごく近いもの。肉親。骨肉。goo jisho [link]

)
    Last edited by mikkih; April 24, 2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: oops, -ed
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikkih View Post
    受け継ぎし:受け継ぎたる is probably more proper
    血肉: Have you consider using definition 2? ( 血と肉。また、生身のからだ。 血縁のごく近いもの。肉親。骨肉。goo jisho [link]

)
    Thanks for the reply.

Ah I see what you're suggesting. About the term 血肉, the context is that the flesh of this "bishou no senshi" is literally inserted into another character's body (they are not blood-related,) hence definition #1.

So to confirm, from the way you've rephrased it (受け継ぎたる血肉,) you mean "The flesh is the inherited object" is what this sentence is implying, rather than "The flesh is doing the inheriting/taking over" ? (Sorry just want to make sure, because in the context of the manga, there is a possibility that this flesh can 'take over' the host body, so either way can make sense plot-wise.)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok... it sounds gory. I would go with your (1) The flesh that is inherited. alt for is: was

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

血肉 may refer to near relatives, not just flesh; like the english expression 'my flesh and blood'. It may potentially be translated as '...the flesh and blood successor... was the bishou no senshi (smiling soldier)'.
    Without a verb at the end, it's almost certainly an AはBです structure; B is A.

"the heir to the bloodline... was the bishou no senshi" is probably the best English equivalent. Unless the manga is explicitly about chunks of flesh that inherit powers and grant skills to the people who have them grafted on, use the 'flesh and blood' interpretation.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post
    血肉 may refer to near relatives, not just flesh; like the english expression 'my flesh and blood'. It may potentially be translated as '...the flesh and blood successor... was the bishou no senshi (smiling soldier)'.
    Without a verb at the end, it's almost certainly an AはBです structure; B is A.

"the heir to the bloodline... was the bishou no senshi" is probably the best English equivalent. Unless the manga is explicitly about chunks of flesh that inherit powers and grant skills to the people who have them grafted on, use the 'flesh and blood' interpretation.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Utsune and I already discussed on the same issue. (Please read previous posts.) This thread is closed/done.

New Reply