Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Nakama Power-ups

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nakama Power-ups

So I feel there are a lot of people who feel this manga goes over the top with their "nakama power-ups," and to be perfectly honest I don't understand why. To me at least, a "nakama power-up" suggests one of the good guys is going to lose and is clearly weaker than their opponent, until their opponent threatens one of their friends or something and all of a sudden the good guy's hidden power is released or something (e.g. Yusuke vs. Suzaku in YYH).

The powership of friendship is certainly an over-arching theme much like a lot of shounen manga, but I really don't feel "nakama power-ups" really happen that much in this manga, at least not any more than others. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm confused about what a "nakama power-up" is? If anyone could enlighten me on this I'd really appreciate it.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nakama Power-ups

Well, its not like the idea is clearly defined

Anyways, in general it refers to FT characters being almost beaten and then suddenly getting a surge of power out of nowhere which enables to beat the odds. Its not necessarily something tangible like dragon force but in some cases it is also included. I would argue this is the most exaggerated nakama powerup we have seen so far and the situations are pretty much there every arc in some form or another.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, point taken on it not exactly being clearly defined to begin with anyway haha.

Still, I guess I feel the "out of nowhere" part is a bit overstated. Even in your example wasn't it the magic from all the other FT members on the island managing to break free from Azuma's incredibly convenient tree powers? Hell, they even foreshadowed it a bit with Natsu being able to "feel" (apparently at least) that Erza was the one fighting the first time Azuma used FT's power against Erza (Terra something or other). It was certainly executed in a cheesy fashion, really no denying that, but it's not like she thought of her nakama or heard them yell something and suddenly get this burst of magic power. Like what happened in History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi this week with the Grand Elder's feelings or ki or whatever (disclaimer: I like this manga) someone reaching Kenichi from miles away resulting in him remembering his friends and thus getting up with re-awakened fighting spirit (or something along those lines).

Again don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it's not there, I just don't understand how FT worse than Naruto or Bleach or One Piece or other shounen manga in this regard? Like how did FT became the face of it when it seems basically on par with all the other "friendship wins every time!" manga

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZanzaLaw View Post
    So I feel there are a lot of people who feel this manga goes over the top with their "nakama power-ups," and to be perfectly honest I don't understand why. To me at least, a "nakama power-up" suggests one of the good guys is going to lose and is clearly weaker than their opponent, until their opponent threatens one of their friends or something and all of a sudden the good guy's hidden power is released or something (e.g. Yusuke vs. Suzaku in YYH).

The powership of friendship is certainly an over-arching theme much like a lot of shounen manga, but I really don't feel "nakama power-ups" really happen that much in this manga, at least not any more than others. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm confused about what a "nakama power-up" is? If anyone could enlighten me on this I'd really appreciate it.
    Watch the latest episode of Fairy Tail 2014. It starts with Makarov and Mavis talking about the power of feelings and how they outweigh calculations. Then it's Minerva talking about her plan to win the tournament by using Sting's newfound "feelings". Fairy Tail uses the nakama power-up so often it actually tries to break it down into a science, and there is an overabundance of speeches about friendship which usually involve crying. There is even a spell that transforms feelings and bonds of friendship into a giant protective bubble that can tank a nuke. On top of this, Fairy Tail pretty much never loses. They never encounter villains that truly threaten them. They never take a loss and have to retreat, and come back later for round two and win it. They pretty much always win against all odds.
    Spoiler show

Fairy Tail definitely takes the theme of friendship much farther than any of the other anime/manga I'm into. Of course it's not always won with friendship, there's a lot of eating other magic and some strategy here and there, and then there's just fights that are won with sheer strength i.e. Gildartz vs Bluenote, but it definitely happens a lot, especially if it's a big and important fight.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

FT did once took a loss and retreat. Remember when makarov was taken out during the fight against phantom? FT did win eventually but only when makarov came back and took jose out himself.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    FT did once took a loss and retreat. Remember when makarov was taken out during the fight against phantom? FT did win eventually but only when makarov came back and took jose out himself.
    I guess that counts. But perhaps I should've used a better word. I mean like a REAL loss. Not like "shit Makarov's down we have to bring him to Porlyusca!" You know how it is, an enemy comes along and trashes the good guys. They train or at least come back with a new strategy and fight the bad guys again. Phantom Lord was one of the best arcs in FT IMO, and it was awhile before it felt like there was an overload of friendship to me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Even with the Makarov retreat. It displays the opposite. They started losing once Makarov went down because their morale fell. Natsu even had that flame of emotion thing where the more he gets pissed off. The stronger his flames become. Or any other time he beats someone through will. He beats someone who can control flames by somehow gaining control of his own flames through force of will mid battle. Or taking down Zancrow and his black flames by somehow emptying himself of magic that allows him to now eat the flames? how does it work? who knows really. He just did it.

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exacta View Post
    I guess that counts. But perhaps I should've used a better word. I mean like a REAL loss. Not like "shit Makarov's down we have to bring him to Porlyusca!" You know how it is, an enemy comes along and trashes the good guys. They train or at least come back with a new strategy and fight the bad guys again. Phantom Lord was one of the best arcs in FT IMO, and it was awhile before it felt like there was an overload of friendship to me.
    If you ask me, Acnologia counts. They had no chance of winning. They only didn't die because Mavis saved them. I would count that as a defeat.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/237/14

While I do see a fair bit of nakama power up, I don't feel like this page is one of them, even if it looks like that. It looks more to me like the guy was dumb enough to try use Erza's friend magic power to harm her. So it doesn't feel bs to me, really. But I'm probably the minority.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    If you ask me, Acnologia counts. They had no chance of winning. They only didn't die because Mavis saved them. I would count that as a defeat.
    When your nuke gets trolled by a friendship bubble and doesn't even scratch the island let alone anyone on it, I consider that more of a draw. The members on the island suffered no loss aside from being frozen for seven years which was really just for the sake of a time skip.
    Last edited by exacta; June 15, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing the last chapter it seems like on top of the nakama power up there is such a thing as the nakama power-down. It basically means that that just like nakama's can give you power depending on arbitrary plot circumstances a lack of nakama can also result in your power effectively decreasing to near pathetic levels. Minerva was a victim of that. Now that sting and rogue have shown up to be all nakama-dovey with her it is likely that her power will increase over 9000 and then become an uneasy ally to the gang through the rest of the series along with developing a somewhat disturbing obsession with outmatching erza in terms of strength and ridiculous hair.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member milek's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nakama power up is ok with me especially with strong opponent and thats only rule that they can use it, similar in real life situation. Trying to protect something that you love.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Post Thanks / Like

FT Imo has taken the bonds of friendship aka the Nakama Power up to far for me. Before it was a theme and plot device but ever since that Erza incident it's become an ass pull....like the rest of the story after The Grand Magic Tournamet, Lol...You gotta love you some Fairy Tail though

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I would argue this is the most exaggerated nakama powerup we have seen so far
    To be true, I actually wouldn't count that one as true nakama power. I mean, sure, there definitely is some of it, but it can be explained pretty well if you want so. The explanation that I found was that magic has some kind of consciesness. Recall their location, they are on the holy island of Fairy Tail. Now, Azuma had taken the magic of the island itself and was using it for his attacks. Don't you think it's possible that the magic of Tenrou Island contains a special sentiment towards Fairy Tail? Thus, when Azuma attacked Erza with this Fairy Tail Magic, it wouldn't harm a Fairy Tail Member but instead protect it, enableing Erza to suprise Azuma and take him out.
    Franmalth confirming that magic and souls being related actually was kind of an extension to this theory.

Frankly, nearly everything in Fairy Tail can be explained in an accaptable way. And when I find such a way, it makes it quite more difficult for me to accept something as Nakama-Power-Up-Bullshit. I even took the above moment as such before giving it some thought.

However, feelings (thus, also friendship) definitely is very important in the FT-universe. As far as I noticed, it can function as a general source of power, Natsu probably being the one that exploits that the most with his Flames of Emotion. And this kinda means that Nakama Power is a running theme in Fairy Tail, although it is much less than what the general rumor says.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    To be true, I actually wouldn't count that one as true nakama power. I mean, sure, there definitely is some of it, but it can be explained pretty well if you want so. The explanation that I found was that magic has some kind of consciesness. Recall their location, they are on the holy island of Fairy Tail. Now, Azuma had taken the magic of the island itself and was using it for his attacks. Don't you think it's possible that the magic of Tenrou Island contains a special sentiment towards Fairy Tail? Thus, when Azuma attacked Erza with this Fairy Tail Magic, it wouldn't harm a Fairy Tail Member but instead protect it, enableing Erza to suprise Azuma and take him out.
    Franmalth confirming that magic and souls being related actually was kind of an extension to this theory.

Frankly, nearly everything in Fairy Tail can be explained in an accaptable way. And when I find such a way, it makes it quite more difficult for me to accept something as Nakama-Power-Up-Bullshit. I even took the above moment as such before giving it some thought.

However, feelings (thus, also friendship) definitely is very important in the FT-universe. As far as I noticed, it can function as a general source of power, Natsu probably being the one that exploits that the most with his Flames of Emotion. And this kinda means that Nakama Power is a running theme in Fairy Tail, although it is much less than what the general rumor says.
    Well, yes, but that is precisely why I called it the most exaggerated nakama power up. It is not an arbitrary show of willpower and nakama love and whatnot, it is a tangible, observable and measurable increase in power which erza experienced solely because she loves her nakama so much and they love her back so much and the island and whatnot. At least in other cases we simply see people pulling strength out of nowhere because they love each other so much but it is not a real, tangible or measurable increase in power. It is simply willpower and the power of love and whatnot.

New Reply