Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oda's inspriation on Doflamingo = The Dark Knight?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda's inspriation on Doflamingo = The Dark Knight?

So I'm just curious if anyone else has seen a parallel between the two stories here.
    The Joker in the Dark Knight was only known by that alias in the Underground Crime World until he decided to surface.
    Doflamingo is known as Joker in the Underground Crime World in OP.

Joker in the Dark Knight says "A person dies every day until Batman turns himself in.", "If this man is not dead in an hour I'm going to blow up a hospital.", "Whichever boat blows the other one up first wins. If the time limit is reached, everyone dies."

Joker in OP now has a scheme very similar in nature to the evil shown by DC's Joker.

Find it funny since I've never seen him mention it as an inspiration (Doflamingo seems to be a very big deal).

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oda's inspriation on Doflamingo = The Dark Knight?

It might be the plan that was the inspiration, but not the character, Oda had Doflamingo and his character in mind since very far back, before the movie came up. At least we know he had him figured out since his introduction in Jaya, and even after Sky island where we got a glimpse of his powers.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    It might be the plan that was the inspiration, but not the character, Oda had Doflamingo and his character in mind since very far back, before the movie came up. At least we know he had him figured out since his introduction in Jaya, and even after Sky island where we got a glimpse of his powers.
    That's true, but it also allowed him a bunch of time to truly define the character. We hadn't seen much of his character until we saw him in Marineford which was where we could tell that he would one day be a serious villain.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

DD in One Piece is completely different to the joker in the Dark Knight.

DD is shrewd. He has an ambition to become a pirate king, and he is slowly planning to obtain mass power for that. He cares about consequences, studies the world carefully, and respect how things generally work. He is actually a very pragmatic person.

Joker in TDK is spontaneous who doesn't give a fck who he pisses off.

If Joker in TDK is DD, he'd already have fought with Kuzan all out

Also if DD is joker in TDK, he'd definitely have taken down batman already.

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

DD= Joker
    Bellamy The Hyena= his loyal Hyena pet
    Whos the batman? luffy? sabo? or geko moria?
    Last edited by Don Chinjao; April 26, 2014 at 01:36 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

No it's not, Skypiea had a similar plot with the cage and was released in 2002/2003, while Dark Knight came out 2008. If anything it was Nolan that stole from other works. Pay more attention to the manga you are reading please.

Him being called Joker works perfectly as he has the whole card deck theme going on.

Oda was influeced by Romancing SaGa 2 with Mingo as every other Shichibukai being influenced by Bokhohn of The Seven Heroes:

Quote Quote:
    Bokuohn(ボクオーン Bokuōn, "Bokhohn"): A puppeteer demon with an elderly appearance, Bokuohn is in control of the majority of the Seven Heroes' forces. Bokuohn joined the group through tactiful manipulation and strategic cunning over his enemies. Situated in the Steppes region, he owns a large landship, complete with an innumerable amount of slaves. His special technique, "Marionette," allows him to manipulate all party members.
    Last edited by Schabrak; April 26, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Australopithecus's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Batman has been a comic long before the appearance of the Dark Knight, so it wouldn't be strange if Oda-sensei's work was influenced a little by the comic.

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Australopithecus View Post
    Batman has been a comic long before the appearance of the Dark Knight, so it wouldn't be strange if Oda-sensei's work was influenced a little by the comic.
    Exactly and it makes sense by the way harley queen = Monet lol

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    No it's not, Skypiea had a similar plot with the cage and was released in 2002/2003, while Dark Knight came out 2008. If anything it was Nolan that stole from other works. Pay more attention to the manga you are reading please.

Him being called Joker works perfectly as he has the whole card deck theme going on.

Oda was influeced by Romancing SaGa 2 with Mingo as every other Shichibukai being influenced by Bokhohn of The Seven Heroes:
    I pay pretty good attention to OP. Just because you disagree with a theory does not make the other person wrong. My lack of knowledge in a POS game like Romancing SaGa has little to do with how much I pay attention in OP.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

And now reply to the part of the cage in Skypiea, as that's the main point of my post.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

And now reply to the part of the cage in Skypiea, as that's the main point of my post.
    Dude you need to pay more attention on what he says he is talking more about the characters and not things and besides if we go your way batman come out at 1939 so what? one piece didnt even existed back then and oda wasn't even born your point?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Hmmm. Pica and Diamante were reversed. Pica should be the Ace and Diamante(obviously) the Diamond.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The thread starter seems to be paying very good attention to the manga, I don't think any of his initial post has some sort of glaring idea that can't possibly be true. I'm not sure that I'd say that Doflamingo was based totally on the Joker from the very beginning since the term joker hasn't even been mentioned until recently (and the thread starter never quite said that either). The main question in his post was about a scheme Doflamingo has cooked up literally in the last chapter so mentioning anything from previous arcs means very little. We really didn't know much of anything about Doflamingo other than his ability to control people before this arc, so any real development of his character began with this arc. Oda could very well have been inspired by the Dark Knight, or even the Joker in general there's nothing crazy or bad about that theory.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't see Dark Knight as the ultimate source. The Joker was a full character before TDK, so yes 'Joker' might very well stem from him, and pitting different parties against each other is nothing new either.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don't see a definite connection.

I think the name "Joker" is based off how carefree he is, and how he makes light of fights against worthy fighters. He toys,taunts, and enjoys manipulating the feelings and lives of people--which is probably why he has the string string fruit (puppeteer--manipulating)

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast