Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oda's inspriation on Doflamingo = The Dark Knight?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oda's inspriation on Doflamingo = The Dark Knight?

I think it's very loose if at all, since he doesn't do much of the "bad jokes" the joker did play in TDK, for example the fire truck on fire, turning things upside down generally, I'd have to rewatch it to remember the other "jokes" the Joker did in the film.

When Doffy gets sinister, he simply gets blood thirsty and enjoys seeing people fight each other. He doesn't play any real jokes of his own... Not much of a joker at all if you asked me, the title is a little unfit for Doffy. Unless of course the Japanese word which Oda originally used has potential secondary meanings. If anyone who knows a bit about Japanese language could enlighten me on this that'd be insightful.
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oda's inspriation on Doflamingo = The Dark Knight?

It's a common cliche that most villains use in fictional stories. There's always a villain putting people's lives on the line for the purpose of their own benefits. This scenario isn't any different from a hostage situation and we've seen that done to death in movies, television, american comics and manga all together. And of course, we have to find any minor or major thing from any fictional source to compare to "The Dark Knight". I used to like the movie, but now I don't, because people literally worship this film as if it was even "original".

See the first "Batman" by Tim Burton and look at the ideas alone and tell me, Nolan didn't just rehash majority of that movie.

Regarding to Doflamingo and the Bird Cage situation, it's a rehashing of classic, villainy and in this case, Oda found his own way to showcase how vile Doflamingo can be, when he's pushed into a corner.

"I did battle with ignorance today and ignorance won".

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2